Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Adam Andrzej Jaworski <ad...@and.pl> on 2001/02/06 23:58:25 UTC

config/7210: Any visit to pages hosted on that server is not cached by browser after using Rewrite Engine in Apache config

>Number:         7210
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       Any visit to pages hosted on that server is not cached by browser after using Rewrite Engine in Apache config
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Any visit to pages hosted on that server is not cached by browser after using Rewrite Engine
however with the same configuration but without using rewrite works fine

it was reported by many of our users on Windows/MSIE but on MacOS/MSIE browser's cache works
I can attach our configuration file - we love Rewrite Engine but after reading all docs, FAQs etc
we didn't find any solution, we need rewrite because of using cgiwrap with mass virtual hosting
and our own automated hosting system/end-user control panel etc

also it was tested with cacheability on-line test and seems that should be cached:
http://www.ircache.net/cgi-bin/cacheability.py

to avoid this problem we now using additionally in Apache config this:
### my version ###
ExpiresActive On
ExpiresDefault "access plus 72 hours"
### my version ###

but the problem is still the same, browsers don't caches files at all when Rewrite Engine
is used

when testing it on telnet console it seems that Apache don't send the Pragma-no-cache header
but browser works as if it got no-cache command from server
it is very mysterious for us

[aaj@poland aaj]$ telnet www.and.pl 80
Trying 195.117.150.135...
Connected to www.and.pl.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /index.html HTTP/1.1
Host: www.and.pl

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 19:16:41 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.12 (Unix)  (Red Hat/Linux) PHP/3.0.15
Vary: Host
Last-Modified: Tue, 16 May 2000 16:59:54 GMT
ETag: "e6e14-1dc-39217e8a"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

(....)Connection closed by foreign host.
[aaj@poland aaj]$
>How-To-Repeat:
Please try how it works in your browser:
http://213.77.99.248/e-alfa.com/httpd/www/
and
http://e-alfa.com/ (another our host with identical config but Apache 1.3.12)
also to view a list of ENV vars:
http://www.dragontiger.net/cgi-bin/printvar.cgi (on Apache 1.3.12)
(try to reload above URL and watch for no-cache header)
>Fix:
I am not sure it is Apache bug, because it causes only browsers on Windows not MacOS
but with Rewrite Engine off (standard config) browsers cache works fine
and with rewriting on the problem appears again
 [to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]