Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Kodo <ko...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/12 14:53:32 UTC

UIMA Trunk/Maven/Eclipse problem

Hi!

I'm a newbie to this so please try to ignore my incompetence:-)

I have the following:
Version: Helios Service Release 1, Build id: 20100917-0705
Maven2Eclipse plugin installed
Checked out trunk of
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/sandbox/trunk/DictionaryAnnotator

When I try to import the trunk above into Eclipse using the m2e plugin I get
the following error:

2010-11-12 14:39:43 CET: Failed to read Maven project
2010-11-12 14:39:43 CET: org.apache.maven.project.ProjectBuildingException: 1
problem was encountered while building the effective model for
org.apache.uima:DictionaryAnnotator:2.3.1-SNAPSHOT
[FATAL] Non-resolvable parent POM org.apache.uima:parent-pom:1-SNAPSHOT for
org.apache.uima:DictionaryAnnotator:2.3.1-SNAPSHOT: Failed to resolve POM for
org.apache.uima:parent-pom:1-SNAPSHOT due to Missing:
----------
1) org.apache.uima:parent-pom:pom:1-SNAPSHOT
----------
1 required artifact is missing.

for artifact:
  org.apache.uima:parent-pom:pom:1-SNAPSHOT

from the specified remote repositories:
  central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2, releases=true, snapshots=false)
 @ org.apache.uima:DictionaryAnnotator:2.3.1-SNAPSHOT, C:\...\apache-
uima\trunk\DictionaryAnnotator\pom.xml
 for project org.apache.uima:DictionaryAnnotator:2.3.1-SNAPSHOT at
C:\...\apache-uima\trunk\DictionaryAnnotator\pom.xml

Obviously I miss something here, but what?

Many thanks in advance
/Peter

Re: UIMA Trunk/Maven/Eclipse problem

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
hmmm,  are you behind a firewall?

The error appears to indicate you can't get to the repository (time out).

What happens if you paste that url:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots-group/org/apache/uima/parent-pom/1-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata.xml

into a browser?  (for me, in Firefox, it shows some xml).

-Marshall

Posted by Kodo <ko...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marshall,

Thanks for your reply. I'll look into it and if I need som more advise I'll
get back to you.

Kind regards

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Hi,

You're not incompetent - rather, we're in the middle of attempting to do our
first release as a top-level-project, using some new Maven conventions and
tooling, so the trunk is not always in a buildable state.  When we get better at
releasing, I think we'll not have these problems :-)...

The Dictionary Annotator in trunk is specifying the "1-SNAPSHOT" version of the
common UIMA "parent-pom".

Maven is complaining that this artifact cannot be found.

To fix this: you have to get this artifact into your local .m2 Maven repository.

There are many ways to do this.  You could download them from the Apache Maven
SNAPSHOT repository, or you could set up your settings.xml Maven file to specify
the Apache Maven SNAPSHOT repo, which would cause Maven to find and download
this artifact, itself, to your local repo.

You might think you could download the build tooling and build them, but that
would not quite work at the moment - because the build tooling is in the middle
of a release attempt, and the trunk has already been advanced to the 2-SNAPSHOT
version (although we haven't yet voted the release out.)

The common Apache SNAPSHOT repository
(seehttp://www.apache.org/dev/repository-faq.html ) is at
http://repository.apache.org ; you can see the SNAPSHOT artifacts there by
clicking in the left-side navigation bar on Repositories -> Snapshots to
navigate to org -> apache -> .uima -> parent-pom -> 1-SNAPSHOT to find snapshots
of this artifact.  If you download this you have to go thru some renaming -
these are stored with a timestamp in the name when in the repository.

The easier (?) way to do this is to configure your Maven settings.xml file (see
http://maven.apache.org/settings.html ), with the following stanzas:

      <repositories>
        <repository>
          <id>apache-nexus-snapshot</id>
          <url>https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots-group/</url>
        </repository>
      </repositories>

      <pluginRepositories>
        <pluginRepository>
          <id>apache-nexus-plugin-snapshot</id>
          <url>https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots-group/</url>
        </pluginRepository>
      </pluginRepositories>

Post again if this isn't quite sufficient to get you going :-)

-Marshall Schor