Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Imran Pariyani <ip...@triplemind.com> on 2008/06/03 16:40:05 UTC

multithreaded Content Aggregator migration from 2.1 to 2.2

Hello all,

we have multithreaded Content Aggregator which is based on the
CIncludeTransformer and it also implements CacheableProcessingComponent
for caching .. it used to work fine for cocoon 2.1.x but with cocoon 2.2
it gives strange error .. it is actually a generator and it gives error
in the generate method ..

the code where it gives error

// generate...
            for (Part part : this.parts) {
                if (this.manager.hasService(IncludeCacheManager.ROLE)) {
                    part.uri = this.cacheManager.load(part.uri,
this.cachingSession);
                } else {
                    this.getLogger().error(
                            "The ContentAggregator: aggregator cannot
find the IncludeCacheManager");
                }
            }

            // aggregate...
            StreamPipe streamPipe = new StreamPipe(this.contentHandler);
            for (Part part : this.parts) {
                streamPipe.firstElement(part.element, this.rootElement,
part.stripRootElement);
                try {
                    System.out.println("ParallelContentAgg.part.uri:" +
part.uri);
                    this.cacheManager.stream(part.uri,
this.cachingSession, streamPipe);
                } finally {
                    streamPipe.lastElement(part.element);
                }
            }

it gives the following error

Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException:
Error creating bean with name
'scopedTarget.org.apache.cocoon.el.objectmodel.ObjectModel': Scope
'request' is not active for the current thread; consider defining a
scoped proxy for this bean if you intend to refer to it from a
singleton; nested exception is java.lang.IllegalStateException: No
thread-bound request found: Are you referring to request attributes
outside of an actual web request? If you are actually operating within a
web request and still receive this message,your code is probably running
outside of DispatcherServlet/DispatcherPortlet: In this case, use
RequestContextListener or RequestContextFilter to expose the current
request.
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:293)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:164)
        at
org.springframework.aop.target.SimpleBeanTargetSource.getTarget(SimpleBeanTargetSource.java:33)
        at
org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:184)
        at $Proxy2.cleanupLocalContext(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.source.impl.SitemapSource.toSAX(SitemapSource.java:382)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.source.util.SourceUtil.toSAX(SourceUtil.java:111)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.source.util.SourceUtil.toSAX(SourceUtil.java:170)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.source.SourceUtil.toSAX(SourceUtil.java:63)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.transformation.helpers.DefaultIncludeCacheManager$LoaderThread.run(DefaultIncludeCacheManager.java:415)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.environment.CocoonRunnable.doRun(CocoonRunnable.java:64)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.environment.internal.EnvironmentHelper$AbstractCocoonRunnable.run(EnvironmentHelper.java:453)
        at
EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.PooledExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
        ... 1 more

am new to spring so its difficult to figure out where the problem is ..
any help would be appreciated ...

Regards

Imran

Re: multithreaded Content Aggregator migration from 2.1 to 2.2

Posted by Imran Pariyani <ip...@triplemind.com>.
hello Grzegorz,

Thanks for the reply .. and for the clue .. i guess i was looking in the
wrong direction ... i will try and look into the source and also post
the same to dev at cocoon .. if u find anything else on this issue
please do let me know .. we cant upgrade till we solve this issue .. its
quite crucial ..

Re: Objects inherited in subrequests

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.
imran pisze:
> Hello all
>
> Grzegorz as u wrote...
>
> Therefore I would like to propose introduction of a new scope called
> "request-inheritable" which
> would allow beans (like ObjectModel) to be inherited but by cloning.
>
> can you please elaborate on that ... coz thats where we are stuck ...
> if u have a look at the AbstractInterpreter.java file
>
> public void forwardTo(String uri, Object bizData,
>                          WebContinuation continuation,
>                          Redirector redirector)
>    throws Exception {
>        if (SourceUtil.indexOfSchemeColon(uri) == -1) {
>            uri = "cocoon:/" + uri;
>            final Map objectModel =
> this.processInfoProvider.getObjectModel();
>            FlowHelper.setWebContinuation(objectModel, newObjectModel,
> continuation);
>            FlowHelper.setContextObject(objectModel, newObjectModel,
> bizData);
>            if (redirector.hasRedirected()) {
>                throw new IllegalStateException("Pipeline has already
> been processed for this request");
>            }
>            // this is a hint for the redirector
>            objectModel.put("cocoon:forward", "true");
>            redirector.redirect(false, uri);
>        } else {
>            throw new Exception("uri is not allowed to contain a scheme
> (cocoon:/ is always automatically used)");
>        }
>    }
> so the instance of newObjectModel is the one from the bean factory ...
> and if u have multithreading then all the threads change that
> objectmodel simultaneously and then finally the objectmodel coming to
> the JXTemplategenerator(Injected by spring) is not thread specific ...
> in the setup method of the generator class we replace the objectmodel
> injected by spring with the one passed with that method ... after doing
> this the errors are not that frequent .. but they are still there :( ..
> its still being modified by some other threads ...
>

> Could you please let us know how do u intend to implement ur proposed
> solution

Just wanted to let you know that I know this stuff really well (I've worked on ObjectModel last
summer) so surely can give you some tips and precise instructions.

This won't happen now as I'm leaving but I'll try to explain my thoughts tomorrow after I check
everything against Cocoon's source code.

--
Best regards,
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: Objects inherited in subrequests

Posted by imran <ip...@triplemind.com>.
imran wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Therefore I suggest that you provide me a simple application that
>> exhibits this problem so I can test my fixes and track the whole bug.
>> I suggest creation of two different scenarios where one will use
>> cocoon: protocol and another will use servlet: protocol.
>>
>> The most preferred way of providing me this test-cases would be to
>> prepare two ITs as it's done in
>> http://svn.eu.apache.org/viewvc/cocoon/trunk/blocks/cocoon-it/
>> http://svn.eu.apache.org/viewvc/cocoon/trunk/core/cocoon-webapp/src/test/java/org/apache/cocoon/it/
>>

>> In the first location you add sitemap entries and other resources
>> that you usually at to your block, and in the webapp you create a
>> test-case that tests expected behavior.
>>
>> As soon as you provide me such test-cases (as a patch in JIRA) I'll
>> start working on this problem.
>>

> Grzegorz, i have attached the testcase to the issue
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-2216
>
> i have attached three files .. test-block is the main block .. webapp
> is for running that block .. before that u will have to apply the
> patch cocoon-trunk.patch to cocoon other wise it wont work at all ...
> for both the block perform mvn install .. and then from webapp block
> mvn jetty:run
>
> so the page
>
> http://localhost:8888/test-block/index.html
>
> is generated using the parallel generator .. if ur lucky and dont get
> the error the first time then just refresh and am sure the error will
> be there .. there are five components included in that page ... out of
> which 4 are normal jx components and the fifth one is cforms component
> ... all the jx component have been assigned different instance of the
> same object but still the properties displayed on the page shows the
> same value(they should be different) .. if u execute query for these
> components individually then they appear without any error .. links
> for querying them individually
>
> [jx components .. shows xml output .. forgot to add the pipeline to
> serialize it to html.. u can add one]
> http://localhost:8888/test-block/showjx
> http://localhost:8888/test-block/showjx1
> http://localhost:8888/test-block/showjx2
> http://localhost:8888/test-block/showjx3
>
> [cforms component]
> http://localhost:8888/test-block/form2bean.flow
>
> most of the time we get the error
> Caused by: org.apache.commons.jxpath.JXPathException: No value for
> xpath: $cocoon/continuation/id
> its because the objectmodel is being changed by all the components
> simultaneously ....the error is there on the logs not on the page ..
> on the page it will just ignore that component
>
> u can change the line 427 in the class TestContentAggregator in the
> main block ... this.parameters.setParameter("parallel", "true");
> change that to false and it will execute them in sequential and then
> the errors are gone ...
>
> Would greatly appreciate it if you could have a look and try to

Hi Grzegorz,

Any luck with the implementation of the objectmodel for the new scope ..
were u able to execute the sample application i provided if yes then
were u able to reproduce the error ? .. please do let me know .. if you
are busy with something else then can you please point me to the right
direction with basic idea of how to implement a new objectmodel which is
thread specific ..

thanks and regards

Re: Objects inherited in subrequests

Posted by imran <ip...@triplemind.com>.

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.

Posted by imran <ip...@triplemind.com>.
Hello all

[...]

regards

Imran

Posted by "Christoph Gaffga (triplemind.com)" <cg...@triplemind.com>.
sorry, was to quick :((

Posted by "Christoph Gaffga (triplemind.com)" <cg...@triplemind.com>.
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> Therefore I would like to propose introduction of a new scope called
> "request-inheritable" which would allow beans (like ObjectModel) to be
> inherited but by cloning.
>
> What do you think?

hmm, just tried to solve that problem and found that in
IncludeTransformer it works with threading and parallel processing. Only
for the DefaultIncludeCacheManager we are using in our replacement for
the aggregator to do parallel aggregation it is broken since version 2.2.

Objects inherited in subrequests (was: Re: multithreaded Content Aggregator migration from 2.1 to 2.2)

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.
Joerg Heinicke pisze:
> On 06.06.2008 12:51, Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
>
>> E.g. if two threads share the same (inherited) instance of ObjectModel
>> all nasty side-effects of multi-threading should be expected like
>> parallel modification and loosing of data consistency kept in OM.
>> How Cocoon used to solve these kind of problems in the past?
>
> I don't see that much of a problem here - and it always used to be that
> way. If it is a distinctive object model or just the request object does
> not really make a difference to me. Also in other frameworks where you
> only work with request or session objects you have to be aware of
> multi-threading.

I agree in general but there is a subtle difference here. I think there are plenty of people that
agree on a statement that one doesn't need to be a Java programmer in order to use Cocoon. There are
many success stories proving that.

In Cocoon you can have complicated scenarios that you introduce only by using standard Cocoon
components and pipelines all glued by sitemap. In such scenarios, when one does not write any line
of custom java code she should be protected from tricky troubles like the one Imran ran into.

The whole issue comes down to finding an answer to crucial question that appeared here already many
times:
How much do we want to inherit from original request (more generally environment) to subrequests?

The ideal situation would be if we could inherit nothing thus avoiding any tricky problems but such
solution is rather unacceptable because it brings another sort of problems.

Another idea I can think of is to have a clearly and narrowly defined set of things (objects, data)
we want to inherit in subrequests and pay as much attention as we can to assuring that these objects
are protected from any side-effects including running in multi-threaded environments.

At the moment I can think only about two kind of data that we should inherit, it is:
a) request data (uploaded files, attributes, etc.)
b) ObjectModel (the one defined in cocoon-expression-api that stores for example data coming from
flowscript)

I think the only way we can avoid side-effects is by _cloning_ objects that are inherited so
subrequests do not affect each other and original request (and their environments). Actually, that
not a new idea, see EnvironmentHelper.AbstractCocoonRunnable[1]:
         public AbstractCocoonRunnable() {
             // Clone the environment stack of the calling thread.
             // We'll use it in run() below
             Object stack = EnvironmentHelper.environmentStack.get();
             if (stack != null) {
                 this.parentStack = ((EnvironmentStack)stack).clone();
             }
         }

Therefore I would like to propose introduction of a new scope called "request-inheritable" which
would allow beans (like ObjectModel) to be inherited but by cloning.

What do you think?

> Is the multi-threading processing a feature one has to switch on
> intentionally?

Yes, but even if you enable it intentionally you still don't have be a Java programmer so all above
applies here as well.

[1]
http://svn.eu.apache.org/viewvc/cocoon/trunk/core/cocoon-sitemap/cocoon-sitemap-impl/src/main/java/org/apache/cocoon/environment/internal/EnvironmentHelper.java?view=markup

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: multithreaded Content Aggregator migration from 2.1 to 2.2

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 06.06.2008 12:51, Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:

> E.g. if two threads share the same (inherited) instance of ObjectModel
> all nasty side-effects of multi-threading should be expected like
> parallel modification and loosing of data consistency kept in OM.
> How Cocoon used to solve these kind of problems in the past?

I don't see that much of a problem here - and it always used to be that
way. If it is a distinctive object model or just the request object does
not really make a difference to me. Also in other frameworks where you
only work with request or session objects you have to be aware of
multi-threading.

Is the multi-threading processing a feature one has to switch on
intentionally?

Joerg

Re: multithreaded Content Aggregator migration from 2.1 to 2.2

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.
Joerg Heinicke pisze:
> InheritableThreadLocal [1] might be one solution. But being not able to
> clean up a thread is always a problem in web environment. IIRC Spring
> used to use InheritableThreadLocal in RequestContextListener, but they
> changed it to standard ThreadLocal for that reason.
>
> I don't know if CocoonRunnable mentioned by Grek is another point for
> potential changes.

The problem with inheritance from parent thread could be solved with one or another way. The only
problem I can see is synchronization and keeping consistency of data.

Posted by "Christoph Gaffga (triplemind.com)" <cg...@triplemind.com>.
hi,

we found the problem in DefaultIncludeCacheManager and fixed it. I just
submitted a patch together with some more information on the problem.

see:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-2216

thanks for your help.

regards,
Christoph

Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> [...]
>>>                 try {
>>>                     newObjectModel =
>>> (ObjectModel)manager.lookup(ObjectModel.ROLE);
>>>                 } catch (ServiceException e) {
>>>                     throw new SAXException("Couldn't look up Object
>>> Model", e);
>>>                 }
>>>                 newObjectModel.cleanupLocalContext();
>>>                 touchedOM = false;
>>>             }
>>> Here, manager.lookup fails because ObjectModel is a bean with request
>>> scope.
>>>
>>> To be honest, I don't have an idea how this should be fixed. I guess
>>> it's a bug of CocoonRunnable class but I don't know how to give child
>>> threads access to parent thread variables in a safe way.
>>>
>>> This would require more investigation that I have no time for at the
>>> moment, unfortunately.
>>>
>>> I hope it helped you a little to understand the problem. Maybe you

Triplemind Internet OHG
Berlinerstr. 2
DE-63065 Offenbach
Germany

http://www.triplemind.com
Mail info@triplemind.com
Tel  +49 69 82367670
Fax  +49 69 82367654

Unternehmensdaten: Triplemind OHG
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Christoph Gaffga, Mathias Ziegler
Bankverbindung: Postbank Frankfurt,  BLZ: 50010060, Kto: 563581608,
IBAN: DE28 5001 0060 0563 5816 08, BIC: PBNKDEFF
Eingetragen im HR Offenbach am Main 40202, USt-IdNr.: DE210080643

Re: multithreaded Content Aggregator migration from 2.1 to 2.2

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.
Imran Pariyani pisze:
> Hello,
>
> we have come across this issue .. i posted it on user mailing list and
> some one from there suggested me to post it here since it seems to be
> bug in cocoon 2.2 .. its a very crucial issue for us.. we cant upgrade
> to 2.2  unless we  some how solve or find a work around for this issue ..
>
> we have multithreaded Content Aggregator which is based on the
> CIncludeTransformer and it also implements CacheableProcessingComponent
> for caching .. it used to work fine for cocoon 2.1.x but with cocoon 2.2
> it gives strange error .. it is actually a generator and it gives error
> in the generate method ..

Imran, have you tried replacing cocoon: protocol usage with servlet: one? I don't think this will
solve all problems but since it's much more limited in functionality and more focused on one task it
would be easier to resolve any further problems.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: multithreaded Content Aggregator migration from 2.1 to 2.2

Posted by Imran Pariyani <ip...@triplemind.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.

Posted by Imran Pariyani <ip...@triplemind.com>.
Hi

last night i wasted 5 hrs overs this without any success .. i guess it
has something to do with passing the RequestContextListener to the
spring context .. i have initialized the listener in my web.xml and also
added the config in applicationcontext.xml .. i checked everything on my
end .. everything seems to be fine .. is something wrong with the
cachemanager present in cocoon ?

any help will be greatly appreciated !! ..

awaiting response
regards
Imran

Imran Pariyani wrote:
> [...]
> org.apache.cocoon.components.source.util.SourceUtil.toSAX(SourceUtil.java:170)
>
>        at
> org.apache.cocoon.components.source.SourceUtil.toSAX(SourceUtil.java:63)
>        at
> org.apache.cocoon.transformation.helpers.DefaultIncludeCacheManager$LoaderThread.run(DefaultIncludeCacheManager.java:415)
>
>        at
> org.apache.cocoon.environment.CocoonRunnable.doRun(CocoonRunnable.java:64)
>
>        at
> org.apache.cocoon.environment.internal.EnvironmentHelper$AbstractCocoonRunnable.run(EnvironmentHelper.java:453)
>
>        at
> EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.PooledExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown
> Source)
>        ... 1 more
>

> am new to spring so its difficult to figure out where the problem is

Mit freundlichen GrĂ¼ssen

Imran Pariyani

Senior Software Developer

Triplemind OHG