Posted to user@mesos.apache.org by Omar Sobh <om...@illinois.edu> on 2016/05/25 15:16:20 UTC

Mesos and Openstack

Hello all,

I have a number of mesos slave inside and openstack installation that
i'm trying to connect to a master on a different subnet. If I use the
slaves internal IP address like 192.168.1.40 it can make the connection
with Mesos master, but then dies and keeps reconnecting. If I map it to
the public interface it dies from spawning too fast. The public IP
address isn't visible inside the host but i've mapped it via openstack
floating IP addresses so I know the VM is getting it. Are there any
ideas on how I can connect these VM's to the Mesos master, and why do
they die out with internal IP's and a public interface mapping?

best,

Re: Mesos and Openstack

Posted by Radoslaw Gruchalski <ra...@gruchalski.com>.
Omar,

For mesos, master and agents need to be able to reach zookeeper (2181 by default).
Agents need 5050 avaialble on the master and master needs 5051 on the agent.

Are you trying to bind mesos to an IP address which is not assigned to the interface? This will not work, right?
–
Best regards,

Radek Gruchalski

radek@gruchalski.com
de.linkedin.com/in/radgruchalski

Confidentiality:
This communication is intended for the above-named person and may be confidential and/or legally privileged.
If it has come to you in error you must take no action based on it, nor must you copy or show it to anyone; please delete/destroy and inform the sender immediately.

On May 25, 2016 at 10:25:08 PM, Omar Sobh (omarsobh@illinois.edu) wrote:

In my /etc/hosts I have the IP mapped to the VM's private IP address:

192.168.100.38 dev01.org

and it's public IP (allocated floating IP) would be something like
140.141.210.220.

within the VM itself if i type ifconfig it only shows eth0 being the 192
address.

in the /etc/mesos/mesos-slave/ip I have:

140.141.210.220

when I start mesos slave I get:

[89726.105700] init: mesos-slave main process ended, respawning
[89726.221619] init: mesos-slave main process (5868) killed by ABRT signal
[89726.221627] init: mesos-slave main process ended, respawning
[89726.332208] init: mesos-slave main process (5897) killed by ABRT signal
[89726.332216] init: mesos-slave main process ended, respawning
[89726.443081] init: mesos-slave main process (5926) killed by ABRT signal
[89726.443089] init: mesos-slave respawning too fast, stopped

not sure what's the issue with the mappings...all ports are open on the
firewall..but just to be sure what ports are needed by the master and
slave to communicate?

-O

Re: Mesos and Openstack

Posted by Guangya Liu <gy...@gmail.com>.
The public (floating) IP in OpenStack was generated by some NAT or iptables
rules, and this will not be shown via `ifconfig`. I think that you can try
private IP for your whole cluster.

Thanks,

Guangya

Re: Mesos and Openstack

Posted by haosdent <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi, @Omar

Re: Mesos and Openstack

Posted by Omar Sobh <om...@illinois.edu>.

Re: Mesos and Openstack

Posted by Stefano Bianchi <ja...@gmail.com>.
Yes, you should also edit the hosts file where you associate the hostnames
of each VM to the correspondent private IP address.

Re: Mesos and Openstack

Posted by haosdent <ha...@gmail.com>.
>If I use the slaves internal IP address like 192.168.1.40 it can make the
connection with Mesos master, but then dies and keeps reconnecting.
Does the network from Master to Slave and from Slave to Master work fine if
you use internal IP? And may you show the log related to "dies and keeps
reconnecting"?

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 11:16 PM, Omar Sobh <om...@illinois.edu> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a number of mesos slave inside and openstack installation that i'm
> trying to connect to a master on a different subnet. If I use the slaves
> internal IP address like 192.168.1.40 it can make the connection with Mesos
> master, but then dies and keeps reconnecting. If I map it to the public
> interface it dies from spawning too fast. The public IP address isn't
> visible inside the host but i've mapped it via openstack floating IP
> addresses so I know the VM is getting it. Are there any ideas on how I can
> connect these VM's to the Mesos master, and why do they die out with
> internal IP's and a public interface mapping?
>

> best,

Best Regards,
Haosdent Huang

Re: Mesos and Openstack

Posted by Stefano Bianchi <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi
I deployed exactly the same architecture and all is stable.
I get your same error, and i solved specifying in /etc/mesos-slave/ip file,
the FLOATING IP of the slave.
Moreover, be sure that your subnets are connected to the same virtual
router.
My deployment works very well.