Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by st946tbf <st...@drexel.edu> on 2005/06/29 20:15:55 UTC

How to catch and fix this error

We have a web app running on Tomcat 5.028.  When running at our company,
it works.  However, it crashes (exits) at client site when access
certain page (it used to work).  When we ask them to sent us the
database used and run it at our company, it works fine.

There is an Sql query in this page.  Records are written out to the
page.  Some records already came down before it crashes.

Please tell me how do I trouble shoot this?  What kind of log can I make?

This is an urgent problem.  Please help.  Thank you very much for your time.

Re: How to catch and fix this error

Posted by Anoop kumar V <an...@gmail.com>.
One suggestion I can give u (one which I / we follow when faced with a
similar situation) is to go to the client site (ot necessarily prod)
to debug it.

If you have used log4j then there are ways u can enable trace logging
in production and catch the problem ....

>From the looks of it - does ur webapp have to make a connection
outside the local domain (or firewall) to run the queries?

-Anoop

On 6/29/05, st946tbf <st...@drexel.edu> wrote:

> We have a web app running on Tomcat 5.028.  When running at our company,
> it works.  However, it crashes (exits) at client site when access
> certain page (it used to work).  When we ask them to sent us the
> database used and run it at our company, it works fine.
>
> There is an Sql query in this page.  Records are written out to the
> page.  Some records already came down before it crashes.
>
> Please tell me how do I trouble shoot this?  What kind of log can I make?
>
> This is an urgent problem.  Please help.  Thank you very much for your time.

Thanks and best regards,
Anoop

RE: How to catch and fix this error

Posted by Ben Kim <bk...@coe.tamu.edu>.
>>We have a web app running on Tomcat 5.028.  When running at our company, it
>>works.  However, it crashes (exits) at client site when access certain page
>>(it used to work).  When we ask them to sent us the database used and run
>>it at our company, it works fine.
>>
>>There is an Sql query in this page.  Records are written out to the page.
>>Some records already came down before it crashes.

Second to posting the logs, I think these things can be different between
the two places and you might want to check.

- database access control and permission setting
- jdbc driver
- jarred lib files
- database version (or validity of sql statement for the version)
- You might also want to compare the jsp-converted-to-java files, if
relevant.

HTH

Regards,

Ben Kim
Developer
College of Education
Texas A&M University

RE: How to catch and fix this error

Posted by dan stephens <ks...@hotmail.com>.
can you post excerts from the localhost log and catalint.out?