Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by "Jay D. McHugh" <ja...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/24 02:18:18 UTC

[DISCUSS] Geronimo 2.0.3 release

The 2.0.x brach got sidelined by an intermittent
ConcurrentModificationException during stress testing.  But, recently
there were a number of security issues found that apply to 2.0.2.

So, I think it's time to start the discussion for a Geronimo 2.0.3
release (It actually already was started).

Server fixes/enhancements are listed on the Release Status page (work in
progress)-
http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxPMGT/geronimo-203-release-status.html

Details on included security fixes in dependent components are listed on
the Security page -
http://geronimo.apache.org/20x-security-report.html

I have already begun moving issues into 2.0.4 - Does anyone have
additional fixes they would like to include in 2.0.3 before we cut the
branch and start the release process?

If I have moved an issue that you want to work on (And you have time to
work on it right away) move it back onto a 2.0.3 fix and assign it to
yourself.

Jay

Re: [DISCUSS] Geronimo 2.0.3 release

Posted by "Jay D. McHugh" <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hey Joe,

Not releasing any more 2.0.x was one of the possible choices that I was
leaning toward too.  The only thing that kept it from being my first
recommendation was that I was sad that so much work on the 2.0 branch
would never get its day in the sun (at least not as 2.0).

But, as far as stumbling blocks to moving up...I don't think there
should be any large ones.  I have been keeping current so I don't
remember what (if anything) I had to do to move up to 2.1.

Actually, that is not entirely true.  There were a number of jar files
that used to be included in Geronimo that were removed.  I have since
had to add them back to the repository whenever I reinstall.

I think that we already handle deployment descriptors for older versions
automatically (at least back to 2.0), so those should not be a problem.

So, I think that if we put together a table of libraries that are no
longer supplied and/or whose versions are not backwards compatible -
that might be enough to handle at least the majority of conversion issues.

But, if we do not release 2.0.3 then I think that we need to get rather
vocal about the security issues and the -urgent- need to upgrade to 2.1+.

Jay

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
I was in the "document the upgrade path" camp prior to this so that
sounds good to me.  If we take that approach, I agree that we need to
officially announce the that 2.0.x will no longer be maintained.

Regarding the version libraries/jars that have changed/removed ... I
think we have most of that documented here for 2.1.*:
http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/what-changed-in-21.html#Whatchangedin2.1-Componentversions

and here for 2.2:
http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/component-versions.html

They probably need to be updated with the latest/greatest info but I
tried to get it as current as possible a while back.  Hopefully is it
fairly close except for needing a new column for 2.1.4 and updates to
2.2 ... but it should be easier than starting from scratch.  I think
somebody (perhaps Jarek?) had even created some script to help generate
the content at some point in time.

Joe

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.
Pushing users to 2.1.x for continued maintenance releases sounds fine to me.

-Donald

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 17, 2009, at 9:09 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Feb 16, 2009, at 5:50 PM, Jay D. McHugh wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I did some work on trying to get a 2.0.3 release that would:
>> a) build - sucess!
>> b) pass the TCK - Massive failure (over 5000 tests)
>>
>> So, considering that we have a 2.1.x and 2.2.x codestream in progress
>> with JEE6 breathing down our necks - I have been officially pushed
>> into
>> the 'we should probably just document what it takes to upgrade'
>> group.
>>
>> Are there any folks who truly need to stay on 2.0?
>>
>> Or would it be reasonable to make a pronouncement that the 2.0.x
>> codestream is no longer going to be maintained - even for bug fixes
>> and
>> security issues?
>>
>> Thoughts/comments?
>>
>> (I'll start documenting the libraries/jars that have changed or been
>> removed - we will need that regardless)
>

> There should be discussion of this on our user list. Could you start
> a discussion there?
>
> I'm ok with this. Confess that I'm a bit curious about why we'd have
> tck failures. I don't have a big issue with it, but in general we
> don't discuss tck specifics (including numbers of tests, etc) on a
> public list.

Jay,
FYI, I checked back on our automated test results. February 4th is
when we started seeing test failures on branches/2.0. So the following
commits are the likely causes of the problems:

--kevan

Re: [DISCUSS] Geronimo 2.0.3 release

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Jay D. McHugh" <ja...@gmail.com>.