Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Clay Loveless <li...@crawlspace.com> on 2004/04/21 22:44:46 UTC

Repository weirdness, mild panic in progress

Hello,

I had a need to reboot the server running my "svnserve -d" driven repository
last night, and today when I got back to work on my project (which,
coincidentally, is a Subversion interface package for PHP's PEAR project), I
found that many basic svn commands didn't work as expected.

For example:

svn log svn://svn.killersoft.com/repos/SCM_SVN/trunk/SVN/List.php

returned:

svn: File not found: revision '23', path '/SCM_SVN/trunk/SVN/List.php'

I then tried:

svn list svn://svn.killersoft.com/repos/SCM_SVN

And got ...

svn: URL non-existent in that revision

Alarmed, I logged onto the remote box, switched to my svnserve process user,
and tried:

svnlook tree -r 20 /repos

... And got the entire tree listing of my repository without a problem.

I also tried:
svnadmin verify /repos

... And got:

* Verified revision 0.
* Verified revision 1.
* Verified revision 2.
* Verified revision 3.
* Verified revision 4.
* Verified revision 5.
* Verified revision 6.
* Verified revision 7.
* Verified revision 8.
* Verified revision 9.
* Verified revision 10.
* Verified revision 11.
* Verified revision 12.
* Verified revision 13.
* Verified revision 14.
* Verified revision 15.
* Verified revision 16.
* Verified revision 17.
* Verified revision 18.
* Verified revision 19.
* Verified revision 20.
* Verified revision 21.
* Verified revision 22.
* Verified revision 23.

That all made me feel a little better ... But I'm still not seeing behavior
like I've come to expect. My panic level is still at "mild", but I am
definitely concerned.

I'm running Subversion 1.01 on Mac OS X 10.2.8 (client and server).

Can anyone suggest what else I need to do to diagnose what's going on ...
And/or how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Clay Loveless

Re: Repository weirdness, mild panic in progress

Posted by Clay Loveless <li...@crawlspace.com>.
On 4/21/04 8:01 PM Pacific Time, Ben Collins-Sussman (sussman@collab.net)
wrote:

> PEBKAC, eh?  I suspected that, as soon as I saw that 'svnadmin verify'
> and 'svnlook tree' worked perfectly.  The trick was trying to get you to
> go into such great detail that the human error revealed itself.  :-)
>
> I'm not sure how to put this in the book or FAQ;  it's not a FAQ at all.
> I don't think I've ever seen anyone make this mistake before.  Ah, well.

Well, if there's ever a "Subversion For Dummies" book, maybe I can be the
representative dummy. : )

Thanks for the guidance and patience!

-Clay

Re: Repository weirdness, mild panic in progress

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Clay Loveless <li...@crawlspace.com>.
On 4/21/04 7:14 PM Pacific Time, Clay Loveless (lists@crawlspace.com) wrote:

> Now how would that have happened? Particularly since one of the projects
> within has never even been edited, other than the initial directory
> structure import.

I, the doofus, stepped away from my keyboard for awhile and while I was
outside, the answer came to me: when I originally installed Subversion a few
weeks ago and started up svnserve, I did it with "svnserve -d -r /repos" ...
Then, being a newbie, I did everything else with "/repos" on the paths, and
didn't realize that created /repos/repos.

Never noticed it until I restarted, and started up svnserve *without* -r
/repos.

Panic caused by the usual Number One cause: operator error.

My apologies to all -- all I'd suggest at this point is maybe some little
sidebar about this in the book or FAQ to protect doofuses like me from
themselves. : )

Thanks for your time, sorry for the list noise.

-Clay

Re: Repository weirdness, mild panic in progress

Posted by Clay Loveless <li...@crawlspace.com>.
On 4/21/04 6:58 PM Pacific Time, Ben Collins-Sussman (sussman@collab.net)
wrote:

> Okay, so the symptoms are:
>
> * HEAD is r23
> * 'svnadmin recover' reports no problems
> * 'svnadmin verify' reports no problems

Correct.

> * svnlook tree /repos shows the entire tree you expect in HEAD.
> * 'svn checkout svn://svn.killerersoft.com/repos/' gives you an error
> about a deep-down path not existing.

Actually, I'd only tried checking out a deep-down path, not the full
repository. I tried that, and somewhere along the line /repos/[project
trees] became '/repos/repos/[project trees]'

Now how would that have happened? Particularly since one of the projects
within has never even been edited, other than the initial directory
structure import.

> * 'svn log svn://svn.killersoft.com/repos/SCM_SVN/trunk/SVN/List.php'
> gives you an error about the path not existing.

Correct -- though now that I've done the root repository checkout, I see
that the reason is that everything somehow wound up in
svn://svn.killersoft.com/repos/repos/SCM_SVN/trunk/SVN/List.php

This is a world-readable server, so feel free to do a checkout or view logs.

What's interesting about the above is this:

svn log svn://svn.killersoft.com/repos/ -v

There's no sign that I intentionally (or even accidentally) added a new
/repos/repos directory.

> Is that about right?
>
> If so, I'd like to know what happens when you
>
> * su to the appropriate user that 'owns' the repos
> * 'svn checkout file:///repos/SCM_SVN'
> * 'svn checkout svn://localhost/repos/SCM_SVN'

I haven't done this yet, since based on what I found above, I suspect they
won't work. Let me know if you still want me to try this ...

Thanks,
-Clay

Re: Repository weirdness, mild panic in progress

Posted by Clay Loveless <li...@crawlspace.com>.
On 4/21/04 6:34 PM Pacific Time, Clay Loveless (lists@crawlspace.com) wrote:

> Please let me know what other information you would find useful in helping
> me diagnose this problem.

Ben,

One more bit -- after sending my original e-mail, it occurred to me to look
in the Troubleshooting section of the RedBean book (something I need to do
more of BEFORE sending to the list...) and I decided my problem may fall
under the "errors finding or opening a repository" trouble shooting issue.

So, I've tried stopping svnserve, running 'svnadmin recover /repos' as my
svn "owner" user, and that returned:

Please wait; recovering the repository may take some time...

Recovery completed.
The latest repos revision is 23.

... That took about 2 seconds.

Upon restarting svnserve, I'm still getting the exact same errors I
described originally.

-Clay

Re: Repository weirdness, mild panic in progress

Posted by Clay Loveless <li...@crawlspace.com>.
Thanks for the response, Ben ...

On 4/21/04 6:10 PM Pacific Time, Ben Collins-Sussman (sussman@collab.net)
wrote:

> Does that path actually exist in r23?  Are you certain?  What happens
> when you do a fresh checkout of r23... do you get that path?

Yes, I am certin revision 23 exists, and that the path I'm attempting to get
a log entry for exists in revision 23. When I attempt a checkout of r23 (or
any revision, for that matter), I get:

svn: URL 'svn://svn.killersoft.com/repos/SCM_SVN/trunk/SVN/List.php' doesn't
exist

> Does /SCM_SVN exist actually exist in the HEAD revision (which I assume
> is 23?)

Yes /SCM_SVN does exist in the HEAD revision, and the HEAD revision is 23.
As I hinted at in my first e-mail (without pasting in the whole file tree of
my project), svnlook tree /repos shows me the complete /SCM_SVN tree as I
expect to see it.

> It's hard to know what to fix when you haven't really described the
> problem.  So far, there are plausible explanations for both of your
> "problems".  We need much, much more detail explaining why you're panicking.

Please let me know what other information you would find useful in helping
me diagnose this problem.

The catch is there isn't much to explain, it doesn't seem to me ... I was
working along on my project last night, committing changes, looking at diffs
(not adding or deleting any new files), and everything worked great. No
errors, no problems, nothing out of the ordinary.

I then installed an Apple Security Update (described briefly here [1]), that
I don't believe would have affected anything related to the svnserve setup.

I rebooted the machine (I didn't shutdown svnserve prior to the reboot, just
hit "restart" from the OS X Finder 'Apple' menu), and did not attempt any
further work on the project until this afternoon. No one else has write
access to the repository but me, and no one has terminal login access to the
machine but me.

The panicking started when all that happened was a simple reboot, and
following that, I can't do most of the things I could do prior to the reboot
on my repository. That's a little disconcerting, to say the least! In this
particular instance, it wouldn't be that big of a deal if I had to delete
the whole thing and start over, since this is a one-person project at the
moment, and I've got local copies of all my changes.

Were this a larger project, obviously this would be a much bigger deal ...
But it's not, so my current panic is only mild.

I realize the above doesn't shed a great deal more light on the problem --
please let me know what other information would be helpful.

Thanks again,
-Clay

[1]
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/securityupdate_2004-04-05_(10_2_8).ht
ml

Re: Repository weirdness, mild panic in progress

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.