Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Welz, Eric" <Er...@vanguardms.com> on 2003/02/12 17:23:31 UTC

[users@httpd] First time Apache user

I am a first time user of the Apache http server.  I downloaded "apache_1.3.26-i686-whatever-linux22.tar.gz" (binary distribution) for my Redhat 6.0 i686 machine.  I ran "install-bindist.sh" without any apparent problems.  When I tried to start Apache using "apachectl start" I get the following error:

/usr/local/apache/bin/httpd: error in loading shared libraries: libexpat.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
./apachectl start: httpd could not be started

Help?

Re: [users@httpd] First time Apache user

Posted by George Hademenos <ha...@sbcglobal.net>.
well i never had problems compiling a lot of code for earlier versions of
linux....but setting up the symlinks was a little tricky....especially for
the kernel code.

> You're going to have problems (like the one below) getting a current
> version of apache to run on such an old version of Linux.  In addition,
> there's a number  of security holes in those old versions.  You'd be
> better off upgrading to a newer version of Linux.  And too, then you'll
> get apache installed along with it.
>

> hth,
> ken
>
> Welz, Eric at 11:23 (UTC-0500) on Wed, 12 Feb 2003 said:
>
> = I am a first time user of the Apache http server.  I downloaded
> = "apache_1.3.26-i686-whatever-linux22.tar.gz" (binary distribution) for
> = my Redhat 6.0 i686 machine.  I ran "install-bindist.sh" without any
> = apparent problems.  When I tried to start Apache using "apachectl
> = start" I get the following error:
> =
> = /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd: error in loading shared libraries:
> = libexpat.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> = directory ./apachectl start: httpd could not be started
> =
> = Help?
> =
> =
> = The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server
Project.

Posted by ge...@ameritech.net.