Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/10 13:48:04 UTC

Optional text to be sent with LDAP commit messages?

It might be useful to allow the user to provide some text to go with
the emails that are sent when updating rosters.

WDYT?

Re: Optional text to be sent with LDAP commit messages?

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
sebb wrote on 6/10/17 9:48 AM:
> It might be useful to allow the user to provide some text to go with
> the emails that are sent when updating rosters.
>
> WDYT?

More to the point, we should define some common patterns for all the
generated emails from Whimsy, to make both debugging, spam prevention,
and list management easier.

I'd propose that every whimsy script emitting human-read mail use:

mail.header['X-Mailer'] = 'whimsy/www/path/scriptname(0.0)'

Which allows for any semantic versioning that scriptname wants to use.
Only needed if the script changes the output data in the mail in a
significant way.

mail.subject = "[TAG] #{subject}"

Where we should define a set of TAGs that are descriptive of the kinds
of organizational operations that committers are doing when using
mail-generating whimsy tools.

Thus, all the "x added to y pmc" mails should all be... [LDAP]?
[CTTEUPDATE]? Something else?  I.e. a single TAG word that describes the
kind of organizational data change the user was doing when the script
sent the notice mail.

Make sense?

For now, we should just agree to do this in each script, and then see
what bits should actually become options/defaults in the ASF::Mail lib.

- Shane