Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ian loyola <ia...@yahoo.com> on 2010/06/24 00:04:53 UTC

Convert a certificate from IIS (.PFX) into a (.keystore) for Apache Tomcat v 6.x

Dear colleagues,

I'm running IIS version 6 and Apache Tomcat 6.x on a Windows 2003 enterprise server. I had to renew SSL certificates for both the IIS and Tomcat web server.

I was told to raise a CSR from the IIS server and create a certificate. The certificate (.PFX) could then be converted into a (.keystore) file for Tomcat. Unfortunately, I'm struggling with this.

Generating a new CSR is unfortunately not an option as it needs to be completed tomorrow.

Could you please please assist me to convert a certificate from IIS (.PFX) into a (.keystore) for Apache Tomcat v 6.x?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Ian

Re: Convert a certificate from IIS (.PFX) into a (.keystore) for Apache Tomcat v 6.x

Posted by Bruno Harbulot <Br...@manchester.ac.uk>.

On 23/06/10 23:04, ian loyola wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> I'm running IIS version 6 and Apache Tomcat 6.x on a Windows 2003 enterprise server. I had to renew SSL certificates for both the IIS and Tomcat web server.
>
> I was told to raise a CSR from the IIS server and create a certificate. The certificate (.PFX) could then be converted into a (.keystore) file for Tomcat. Unfortunately, I'm struggling with this.
>
> Generating a new CSR is unfortunately not an option as it needs to be completed tomorrow.
>
> Could you please please assist me to convert a certificate from IIS (.PFX) into a (.keystore) for Apache Tomcat v 6.x?

As far as I'm aware, .PFX files are PKCS#12 files.

Why convert instead of using that file and keystoreType="PKCS12"?

Best wishes,

Bruno.

Re: Convert a certificate from IIS (.PFX) into a (.keystore) for Apache Tomcat v 6.x

Posted by ian loyola <ia...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Konstantin, Goo Sam and Mark,

Thank you for responding so quickly to my post. Your articles were helpful but it didn't show me the exact procedure as how to chain certificates etc. (or I misread them)

I managed to do it using this really cool tool "KeyStore Explorer 4.0" from http://www.lazgosoftware.com/kse/index.html

It has a really nice interface and really easy to use. I managed to create a Java keystore file (.jks) by importing the CA root certificate, the CA intermediate certificate and the Key pair from the .PFX file.

I'll post a detailed "how to guide" tomorrow. I'm going to get some sleep now.

Thanks once again.

Cheers,
Ian

________________________________
Posted by Goo Sam Kong <sk...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ian,

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ian loyola <ia...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Mark,

Thanks for that. I did try searching a lot for it and I did come across that article. But that method doesn't explain how to chain the CA's intermediate certificates. Any idea how to do that?

Cheers,
Ian

Please note that I have not tried this. Your mileage may vary.

/mde/

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com>.
Google is your friend?