Posted to doxia-dev@maven.apache.org by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org> on 2008/08/14 15:06:58 UTC

Re: FYI

Jason,

Do you have any updates on that?

Vincent is urging me to prepare a release of doxia-beta-1 which would be
done from current trunk. There are no scheduled JIRAs left and
everything seems ready from my viewpoint. So question: is trunk
releas-able in your opinion or what are your plans wrt to the changes
you discussed?

Thanks,
-Lukas

Re: FYI

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
I haven't work on it for a few weeks. So go ahead and do your release.
We can call what I have a different version later. I'll have no time
in the next month to push it in.

On 14-Aug-08, at 6:06 AM, Lukas Theussl wrote:

> Jason,
>
> Do you have any updates on that?
>
> Vincent is urging me to prepare a release of doxia-beta-1 which
> would be done from current trunk. There are no scheduled JIRAs left
> and everything seems ready from my viewpoint. So question: is trunk
> releas-able in your opinion or what are your plans wrt to the
> changes you discussed?
>
> Thanks,
> -Lukas
>

> Lukas Theussl wrote:
>> IMO these are all changes that should go into beta-1. The coupling
>> with maven/plexus has always been a major frustration, the sooner
>> this is removed, the better. The logging API was only added in
>> beta-1, so if you are going to dump it anyway, do it now. I don't
>> know what your plans are with book and maven-plugin but I do hope
>> they will survive somewhere, just not in the core?
>> In any case, I am concerned that the doxia development is getting
>> more and more away from what is currently used be maven (ie the
>> alpha branch), maybe we should think about releasing alpha-11 as
>> 1.0 final and move on with doxia 1.1 or 2.0? Opinions?
>> -Lukas
>> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Just letting folks know that I've taken what's in trunk and I've
>>> been  chopping it apart for a couple weeks:
>>>
>>> - removing plexus as a requirement
>>> - dumped the doxia-book module -- it doesn't belong in the core
>>> - dumped the doxia-maven-plugin module -- it doesn't belong in the
>>> core
>>> - dumped the doxia-logging-api -- I don't know who did this but
>>> it's  just a bad idea
>>> - i combined the parser and sink apis. they are never used apart
>>> in  practice, the separate attempt failed inside maven
>>>
>>> My ultimate goal is to extract the dependency on doxia out of
>>> Maven's  core. What's happened is a terrible coupling. The plugin
>>> manager is  bound to doxia because of reports which essentially
>>> look like plugins  and ultimately it should just be another system
>>> that is pulled in as a  set of components. That release of maven
>>> and doxia are coupled needs  to be removed for Maven 2.1. I am
>>> personally interested in creating a  data driven API for
>>> reporting, not a document driven API. No one needs  to use what
>>> I'm making, but at the very least I will remove the  dependency on
>>> Doxia from Maven's core. I'll probably put this  somewhere in the
>>> next few weeks to show people, I just started one day  a few weeks
>>> ago and I just ended up where I am now. Not saying anyone  has to
>>> use what I'm making just giving folks a heads up.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Jason

>>> Jason van Zyl
>>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>>> jason at sonatype dot com
>>>
>>> We know what we are, but know not what we may be.
>>>
>>> -- Shakespeare

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

A man enjoys his work when he understands the whole and when he
is responsible for the quality of the whole

  -- Christopher Alexander, A Pattern Language