Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "Corbin, James" <Ja...@starwoodhotels.com> on 2003/02/19 21:36:53 UTC

Log4J 1.2.7 Question

Hello,

I am setting up log4J logging in my web application.  I app is running
against JBOSS which also uses Log4J for their server logging.

I initially tried configuring my logger using a local configuration file
that defined a console and file appender.  When I tried logging, it put the
server (JBOSS) logging into a loop.  I guess it conflicted with the console
and file appender that JBOSS defined (not sure tho').

To get around this,  I created a new category for my application and now I
log to the category vs. directly to the logger.  The side effect of this is
illustrated in the following log message pulled from the console.

13:30:18,816 INFO  [STDOUT] 13:30:18,816,LightSpeed        [DEBUG] - Request
EchoToken = String

It appends my application (DEBUG) message to the server logging (INFO)
message.  Could someone clarify why this is happening and how I might be
able to reconfigure my application logging to prevent this from happening.

I haven't used Log4j for sometime so I am not actually sure what is
happening.

I guess I want to be able to define my application logging independent of
any application server, that may or may not use Log4J for their server
logging.  I thought by creating a separate category then defining unquie
console & file appenders then attaching them to the category would solve my
problem, but alas, it did not as evidenced by the log entry above.

TIA

This electronic message transmission contains information from the Company that may be proprietary, confidential and/or privileged.
The information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, be
aware that any disclosure, copying or distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited.  If you have received
this electronic transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the address listed in the "From:" field.