Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io> on 2021/01/06 22:43:57 UTC

[VOTE] Heron Release 0.20.3-incubating Release Candidate 9

Hi,

The Apache Heron community has voted and approved the proposal to release
Apache Heron (Incubating) version 0.20.3-rc9.  We are missing votes
from mentors on the project as we only have one mentor at the moment.
The year on the NOTICE file is 2020 because this release was cut in
December of 2020.  We request the Incubator PMC members to review and
vote on this incubator release.

The results of the Release Candidate 8 votes are below:

- Vote Thread

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rf0dec6cec9a212a19dfda508bf57a2d573c3c783b43107936e27dbe7%40%3Cdev.heron.apache.org%3E

- Vote Result Thread

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r13b5e1711fcf327b3aa8d282400a37a1b379f5c0e453614b5c11ec8a%40%3Cdev.heron.apache.org%3E

This is a call for a vote to the 9th release candidate for Apache Heron,
version 0.20.3-incubating.
We request project mentors (binded) as well as all contributors (unbinded)
and users to review and vote on this incubator release.

*  The tag to be voted upon: 0.20.3-incubating-rc9
(a928cd54cb839dfb3059ef4c3c2c7d25c5800309)
The full list of changes and release notes are available at:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-heron/releases/tag/0.20.3-incubating-rc9

Files can be found in dist.apache.org
Source:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/heron/heron-0.20.3-incubating-candidate-9/
SHA-512 checksums:

24e97cc83235f1b6bbc05dbf65f5e377fdacc602cef64d129fc7fe066cf950776ec3e2a1072974a58311ed57d6a1f676203b99dd44a97d47c8e5741ff1a7bb0b
 heron-0.20.3-incubating-rc9.tar.gz

*****
 Note that Bazel 3.7.0, Python 3.8 and Java 11 are required to build this
version *****

Please download the source package, and follow the compiling guide.
https://heron.incubator.apache.org/docs/next/compiling-overview/
to set up the environment, build and run locally. The build will take
approximately 45 minutes.

After Bazel is set up and works correctly, you can use these release check
scripts
https://github.com/apache/incubator-heron/blob/master/scripts/release_check/README.md#run-individual-release-checks
to verify the build.  The vote will be open for at least 72 hours or until
the necessary number of votes are reached.

Please vote accordingly:
[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove with the reason

Thank you,

The Apache Heron (Incubating) Team

Re: [VOTE] Heron Release 0.20.3-incubating Release Candidate 9

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.
I’m carrying over my +1(binding).

Heron really has one active mentor, me. One other mentor appears very occasionally.

Help from the IPMC would be appreciated.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Ming Wen <we...@apache.org>.
Hi, +1 binding

I checked:
- incubating in name
- signatures and hashes correct
- LICENSE and NOTICE good
- all source files have ASF headers

Thanks,
Ming Wen, Apache APISIX PMC Chair
Twitter: _WenMing

Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io> 于2021年1月14日周四 下午8:56写道:

Posted by Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io>.
Hi All,

Posted by Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io>.
Hi,

Posted by Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io>.
Hi,

Posted by Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io>.
This isn’t a release page, only a page to select a specific version of the
documentation. The section that points to GitHub is only a link to the repo.

With the full release of this version we will be putting out an download
page. I understand your concern, but I think it’s out of context of this
page.

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 8:00 PM Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> HI,
>
> > My apologies.  It was an oversight on my part.  I've adjusted the page.
> > https://heron.incubator.apache.org/versions
>
> I also add a very big disclaimer to the section marked  "Pre-release
> versions” clearly indicating that this must be used for development use
> only. Projects can’t distribute pre releases to users. [1]
>
> Thanks,
> Justin
>
> 1. http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#publication

Sent from A Mobile Device

Re: [VOTE] Heron Release 0.20.3-incubating Release Candidate 9

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io>.

Posted by Neng Lu <fr...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

1. http://heron.incubator.apache.org/versions <http://heron.incubator.apache.org/versions>

Re: [VOTE] Heron Release 0.20.3-incubating Release Candidate 9

Posted by Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io>.
We need one more vote if some one has the time.

On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 6:54 PM Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io> wrote:

> Justin,
>
> Thanks for the info and vote. I've reverted the change that published the
> 0.20.3-incubating-rc9 docs. Moving forward I'll add some quick instructions
> to the vote message to how to build the source code.  The empty BUILD file
> is a requirement of Bazel, the build tool we use for Heron.
>
> I'll also make sure to address your concerns about the docs that are
> published that point users to unreleased code.
>
> We only need one more vote if any one has the time!
>
> - Josh
>
> On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 5:53 PM Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
> wrote:
>
>> HI,
>>
>> +1 (binding)
>>
>> I checked:
>> - incubating in name
>> - signatures and hashes correct
>> - LICENSE and NOTICE good
>> - al source files have ASF headers
>> - no unexpected binary files
>> - I didn’t build as I don’t have the prerequisites installed
>>
>> I’m not sure why the BUILD file is empty. Int would be good to have
>> simple build instructions contained within the release in an obvious place
>> rather than on the web site.
>>
>> Also you should not be referencing this version on the website until it
>> the IPMC vote has finished. "The current version of Heron is
>> 0.20.3-incubating-rc9” [1][2] You should also have some sort of disclaimer
>> on that page [2] as you are pointing users to unreleased code (both this rc
>> and master) [3]
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Justin
>>
>> 1.
>> http://heron.incubator.apache.org/docs/getting-started-local-single-node
>> 2. http://heron.incubator.apache.org/versions
>> 3. http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#publication

>> --
Sent from A Mobile Device

Re: [VOTE] Heron Release 0.20.3-incubating Release Candidate 9

Posted by Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io>.
Justin,

Posted by H W <hu...@gmail.com>.
+1