Posted to dev@omid.apache.org by Francisco Perez-Sorrosal <fp...@oath.com.INVALID> on 2018/07/12 17:59:45 UTC

Re: Webpage git

Hi Ohad,
Maven is a project management tool that follows the premise of "convention over configuration" in contrast to "configuration over convention" (e.g. gradle). This means basically that there's a predefined project lifecycle that the project stakeholders must adhere to (See https://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-lifecycle.html) This lifecycle includes the well-known stages/maven-targets of clean, compile, build, package, etc...
In Maven, as part of the stages of the project lifecycle, there's one related to the project documentation/website generation. This is related to the Maven target/plugin "site" that I mentioned in the previous email. The documentation for that, is the official in Maven, so that's why I pointed out to that documentation in the previous email. This is the explicit link for the "site" target of Maven in the official Maven documentation: https://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-site.html
As I said, the project documentation of the Omid website is in under "doc/site" folder of the project and it follows the description in the official Maven documentation (There's no specific config that was used for that.) There, you can found the site.xml file (site descriptor) that describes the website structure at a general level, and the "markdown" folder which includes the different pages I created with the documentation for Omid (Those pages should have been also updated when you do a release if there were changes) I chose Markdown files to document the project because they are standard and can be re-used with different documentation engines if you don't like the standard one provided by Maven.
Regarding the distributionManagement XML tag hurting the deployment to Nexus, I didn't found any problems last time. The distributionManagement XML tag is part of the Maven site as you can see in the Maven documentation.Having said that, if you prefer to generate the website with a different tool than the standard, feel free to use it. As I said the main documentation is in Markdown files and those are processed by almost all doc engines out there. You can ask the Phoenix guys for the tool that they are using for generating the website.
Note: I'm sending this to the Omid dev group as someone can find it interesting.
Thanks,
Francisco
P.S. I've collected some commands from my history that I was using at that time just FYI. They are pretty standard as you can see:
1303  mvn site:stage -Ddependency.locations.enabled=false
1432  mvn clean site:site -Ddependency.locations.enabled=false
2952  mvn clean site:site2953  mvn site:deploy

    On Thursday, July 12, 2018, 2:08:00 AM PDT, Ohad Shacham <oh...@oath.com> wrote:

Hi Francisco,
Thanks!
Any idea how this thing works? :) Is there any documentation? I found info about wagon, however, I am not sure how the new webpage can be synthesis and upload. I also cloned the site git repo and it seems that the version there is older than the one on the webpage.
BTW, putting this info under the distributionManagement hurts the option to deploy the release to Nexus.

Thx,
Ohad

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 9:31 PM, Francisco Perez-Sorrosal <fp...@oath.com> wrote:

 Hi Ohad,
Sorry, I didn't see the message and Kostas just told me.
All the information related to the website distribution (including the repository) is in the pom.xml file (see the distribution management section). It's released through Maven (see the site and wagon plugins doc) https://github.com/ apache/incubator-omid/blob/ master/pom.xml
All the documentation of the website is in under doc/site folder of the project.
Thanks,
Francisco    On Sunday, July 8, 2018, 2:15:07 AM PDT, Ohad Shacham <oh...@oath.com> wrote:

Hey Francisco,
Do you have it? I want to update the webpage.
Thx,Ohad

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 9:04 PM, Ohad Shacham <oh...@oath.com> wrote:

Man
Could you please send me the repository for the website? I would like to change the version to 0.9.0.0.
ThxOhad

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone