Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Srinivas V." <sr...@fastmail.fm> on 2007/04/09 22:43:18 UTC

Questions about ROOT context

Hello tomcat experts

I'm working on a new tomcat based website. I will be manager the server
entirely and so will be the only person deploying html/jsp/servlets to it.
I've been reading a few books and they suggest using custom webapps instead
of the ROOT one. But I haven't seen any hard reasons as to why I can't use
ROOT for all my stuff. If the server was used by multiple teams/groups by a
common admin, then I can see the value in having separate webapps. But for
my use-case, is there any problem with just using ROOT ?

    thanks

   Srinivas

Re: Questions about ROOT context

Posted by Rashmi Rubdi <ra...@gmail.com>.
There's no problem with using ROOT , it just means that your
application will be accessible from the ROOT context , instead of
another context.

ROOT context means you can access the app at http://localhost:8080/
<---- the slash is root.

If you deploy your app at another context then you wold access it as
http://localhost:8080/SomeOtherContext/

-Rashmi

Re: Questions about ROOT context

Posted by Rashmi Rubdi <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 4/9/07, Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za> wrote:

>  just got remember that now there is no cool page that lets you
> click on the manager, and so you have to type
> http://localhost:8080/manager/html
> to get to the manager.

In the development environment if you create a virtual host then you
can still access the Tomcat app at http://localhost:8080/  , and your
app at http://virtual-host-for-your-app:8080/
then both apps will be on the root context.

Or you could switch the default Tomcat app to it's own virtual host as
http://tomcatapp:8080/ and keep localhost for your app.

But in production env, you would keep localhost for your app.

-Rashmi

Re: Questions about ROOT context

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
No, all that happens if you write your webapp as ROOT make the <Context
path=""/> in context.xml and dump it into web-apps is that your jsp pages
will now show instead of the default tomcat page http://localhost:8080
In fact I think that somewhere on that page it tells you , you can do
precisely this.

And yes its a cool way to then point at all you other applications and
servlets... just got remember that now there is no cool page that lets you
click on the manager, and so you have to type
http://localhost:8080/manager/html
to get to the manager.

Nothing breaks.... so yes take the core domain name back from the helpful
tomcat page... thats all it does.... lets you get around without remembering
urls... and you going to want to do that for your users. Yes maybe they
should have done it like this http://localhost:8080/tomcat/developers
and left ROOT empty... but then they would probably get too many "tomcat is
broken" queries.

have fun...