Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Felix Knecht <fe...@apache.org> on 2011/11/01 18:10:31 UTC

Re: NoSQL backend for James

On 10/31/2011 04:17 PM, Manuel Carrasco Moñino wrote:
> Hello Pepijn
>
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Pepijn de Vos<pe...@yahoo.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I decided to stop working on the CouchDB backend. I'm sorry.
>
> Bad news, it was a good idea James supporting couchdb
>

>> There is something to be said for persisting and finishing, but I do not enjoy writing it and I don't need it. I'm going to focus instead on what I set out to do, write a webmail application. I will persist in that.
>>
>> I learned that what I wanted to do is not a good design at all. I thought it would be easy to write my webmail application on top of CouchDB and have James "fish from the same pool". This would create a tight coupling between my app and James, and leaves me at the mercy of future changes to the API.
>>
>> Instead, I'll just write my app on top of IMAP, and in fact, I couldn't care less how the mail server stores my email.
>
> Yeah, this is the approach  used by HUPA (the webmail of James), take
> a look to its architecture in this presentation:
> http://www.slideshare.net/dodotis/apache-jameshupa-gwt

Why not adding the presentation or its link to the hupa documentation?
We are lacking good documentation.

Regards
Felix

Re: NoSQL backend for James

Posted by Manuel Carrasco Moñino <ma...@apache.org>.

> Why not adding the presentation or its link to the hupa documentation? We
> are lacking good documentation.

Although, I already added a presentations link to the James front page
in the wiki, i think it is a good idea.
Also, the hupa maven site was generated a long time ago and has not
been updated.