Posted to dev@iotdb.apache.org by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com> on 2020/09/01 04:17:12 UTC

[DISCUSS] graduation process: Charter and VP of IoTDB discussion

Hi,

The vote for start the graduation process has last two days and we have
received many +1.

According to [1], we can begin to discuss the charter (resolution) in
parallel.

The main task is using one or two sentences to define what IoTDB is:

A good resolution is neither too narrow nor too broad. If the project’s
scope is too narrow, then its activities will be unnecessarily constrained.
If a project’s scope is too broad then it may lack focus and suffer from
governance issues.

Besides, we need also to elect someone as the VP of the project.

So, any ideas?

IMO, how about:

Apache IoTDB: a native database for storing and analyzing Internet of
Things data, on the edge and the cloud.

[1]
https://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#the_graduation_process
Best,
-----------------------------------
Xiangdong Huang
School of Software, Tsinghua University

 黄向东
清华大学 软件学院

Re: [DISCUSS] graduation process: Charter and VP of IoTDB discussion

Posted by jincheng sun <su...@gmail.com>.
Big +1 for Xiangdong as first VP of IoTDB!

Cheers,
Jincheng

Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com> 于2020年9月2日周三 上午8:20写道:

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dawei Liu <at...@163.com>.
Hi Xiangdong,

Thanks for your detailed explain.

+1 for 'an IoT native database with high performance for data
management and analysis, on the edge and the cloud.'

I think there is a problem with my understanding.
'Management' and 'Analysis' made me think about data visualization first.

Best,
Dawei

On 09/1/2020 16:50,Xin Wang<da...@gmail.com> wrote:
+1 for the charter and Xiangdong as VP.

Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com> 于2020年9月1日周二 下午4:34写道:

Hi Dawei,

‘management' and ‘analysis' makes me feel too broad.

That is why we need to discuss the project's description.

Users may do not want to store data simply, but also use the data.

"management" means storage and query.
We are trying to provide diverse and powerful query functions to users.
So, just "storage" can not cover the goal of the project.

Besides, one trend in DB domain is letting database supporting more
analytics/processing.

For example, in IIoT, queries like downsampling, analysis like FFT,
calculating something across two or more time series are useful.

Moving-window in UDF, and forward data according to some rule when loading
data in realtime are also useful.

We will support that soon or later, right?

That's why I'd like to reserve the word "analysis".

Best,
-----------------------------------
Xiangdong Huang
School of Software, Tsinghua University

黄向东
清华大学 软件学院

Dawei Liu <at...@163.com> 于2020年9月1日周二 下午4:13写道:

Hi,

Big +1 for Xiangdong as VP.

So, how about:  "an IoT native database with high performance for data
management and analysis, on the edge and the cloud."

‘management' and ‘analysis' makes me feel too broad.
So, how about:  "an IoT native database with high performance for data
storage, on the edge and the cloud.”

Best,
Dawei

On 09/1/2020 15:57,Xiangdong Huang<sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

As for the description of the project, the "native database" is awkward.

It should be "IoT native database"

So, how about:  "an IoT native database with high performance for data
management and analysis, on the edge and the cloud."

Best,
-----------------------------------
Xiangdong Huang
School of Software, Tsinghua University

黄向东
清华大学 软件学院

runhuster@foxmail.com <ru...@foxmail.com> 于2020年9月1日周二 下午3:43写道:

Hi,
Big +1 for the charter and Xiangdong as VP!

Thanks.

Chao Wang
BONC Ltd

From: Xiangdong Huang
Date: 2020-09-01 15:26
To: dev
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] graduation process: Charter and VP of IoTDB
discussion
Hi,

Thanks, runhuster (better to leave a signature in the tail of your email
:D), I like your suggestion.

Thanks, Julian and Jialin. It is my honor. :D

Best,
-----------------------------------
Xiangdong Huang
School of Software, Tsinghua University

黄向东
清华大学 软件学院

Jialin Qiao <qj...@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn> 于2020年9月1日周二 下午3:24写道:

Hi,

+1 for the charter and Xiangdong as VP!

Jialin Qiao
School of Software, Tsinghua University

乔嘉林
清华大学 软件学院

Re: [DISCUSS] graduation process: Charter and VP of IoTDB discussion

Posted by Xin Wang <da...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> > -----------------------------------
> > Xiangdong Huang
> > School of Software, Tsinghua University
> >
> > 黄向东
> > 清华大学 软件学院
> >

> > runhuster@foxmail.com <ru...@foxmail.com> 于2020年9月1日周二 下午3:43写道:
> >
> > Hi,
> > Big +1 for the charter and Xiangdong as VP!
> >

> > Thanks.
> >
> > Chao Wang
> > BONC Ltd
> >

> > From: Xiangdong Huang
> > Date: 2020-09-01 15:26
> > To: dev
> > Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] graduation process: Charter and VP of IoTDB
> > discussion
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks, runhuster (better to leave a signature in the tail of your email
> > :D), I like your suggestion.
> >
> > Thanks, Julian and Jialin. It is my honor. :D

Xin

Re: [DISCUSS] graduation process: Charter and VP of IoTDB discussion

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dawei,

Posted by Dawei Liu <at...@163.com>.
Hi,

Re: Re: [DISCUSS] graduation process: Charter and VP of IoTDB discussion

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

From: Xiangdong Huang
Date: 2020-09-01 15:26
To: dev
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] graduation process: Charter and VP of IoTDB discussion

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jialin Qiao <qj...@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn>.
Hi,

Posted by "runhuster@foxmail.com" <ru...@foxmail.com>.
maybe we could add performance description.

Apache IoTDB: a native high performance database for storing and analyzing Internet of

runhuster@foxmail.com