Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by "alex.price" <al...@tnt.com> on 2013/02/27 17:57:20 UTC

Nexus Staging Maven Plug-in

Hi,

I am currently implementing the "Nexus Staging Maven Plug-in" for many of
our releases, which aims to place artifacts in the Nexus Staging area in an
automated "closed" state.

I am currently reading the Sonatype article on the plug-in:
http://www.sonatype.com/books/nexus-book/reference/staging-sect-deployment.html

I have noticed a paragraph in this article which concerns me slighly, and
wanted clarification on what the statement means:

/"The implicit matching relies on the setup of repository targets as well as
the correct order of staging profiles and is therefore an error prone
approach when many staging profiles are in use.

The preferred way to work in this sceneario is to change the profile
selection strategy on all staging profiles to explicit only and pass the
staging profile id to the Nexus Staging Maven Plugin using the
stagingProfileId configuration parameter as documented above."/

What number of Staging profiles would this be talking about? Would this
definitely be solved if a stagingProfileId parameter was used? What other
factors could effect this "error prone approach"?

Thanks,

Alex.

Re: Nexus Staging Maven Plug-in

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@mosabuam.com>.
Hi Alex,

I wrote that advice. The reasons is that depending on your package
structure and number of different team needing different staging profiles
I can become hard to maintain all the repository targets and profiles
matching correctly. We have certainly found that to be the case with OSSRH
where there are hundreds of profiles. However it can also be brittle in
smaller setups with dozens of profiles where deployments can then end up
in wrong staging repositories.

Using the explicit matching is definitely the way to go since it is less
work and less error prone.  And it works against the central repo as well.
E.g. look for an example config here

https://github.com/simpligility/progressive-company-super-pom

manfred

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:
> You probably want to post on the Nexus list as this plugin already exists.
If I read his email right, I believe he means to say he's implementing
that existing plugin on his projects - aka adding it to the poms, not
re-implementing the plugin.

Either way, the nexus list ( or at least the maven USERS list ) would be
better.

Mark

Re: Nexus Staging Maven Plug-in

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.

On Feb 27, 2013, at 11:57 AM, alex.price <al...@tnt.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am currently implementing the "Nexus Staging Maven Plug-in" for many of
> our releases, which aims to place artifacts in the Nexus Staging area in an
> automated "closed" state.
>
> I am currently reading the Sonatype article on the plug-in:
> http://www.sonatype.com/books/nexus-book/reference/staging-sect-deployment.html
>
> I have noticed a paragraph in this article which concerns me slighly, and
> wanted clarification on what the statement means:
>
> /"The implicit matching relies on the setup of repository targets as well as
> the correct order of staging profiles and is therefore an error prone
> approach when many staging profiles are in use.
>
> The preferred way to work in this sceneario is to change the profile
> selection strategy on all staging profiles to explicit only and pass the
> staging profile id to the Nexus Staging Maven Plugin using the
> stagingProfileId configuration parameter as documented above."/
>
> What number of Staging profiles would this be talking about? Would this
> definitely be solved if a stagingProfileId parameter was used? What other
> factors could effect this "error prone approach"?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alex.

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder & CTO, Sonatype
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in.
No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow.
They know it is going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically
dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of
dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or
goals are in doubt.

  -- Robert Pirzig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance