Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2007/07/20 10:35:14 UTC

[ANNOUNCEMENT] HttpComponents HttpClient 4.0-alpha1 Released

HttpClient 4.0 represents a complete, ground-up redesign and almost a
complete rewrite of the HttpClient 3.x codeline. This release finally
addresses several design flaws that existed since the 1.0 release and
could not be fixed without a major code overhaul and breaking API
compatibility.

The HttpClient 4.0 API is still very experimental and is bound to change
in the course of the ALPHA development phase. Several important features
have not yet been ported to the new API.

Architectural changes
---------------------

* Redesign of the HttpClient internals addressing all known
  major architectural shortcomings of the 3.x codeline

* Cleaner, more flexible and expressive API

* Better performance and smaller memory footprint due to a more
  efficient HTTP transport based on HttpCore. HttpClient 4.0 is
  expected to be 10% to 25% faster than HttpClient 3.x codeline

* More modular structure

* Pluggable redirect and authentication handlers

* Support for protocol interceptors

* Improved connection management

* Improved support for sending requests via a proxy or a chain of
  proxies

* Improved handling redirects of entity enclosing requests

* More flexible SSL context customization

* Reduced intermediate garbage in the process of
  generating HTTP requests and parsing HTTP responses

-------------------

HttpClient 3.x features that have NOT yet been ported
-------------------
* NTLM authentication scheme

* RFC2965 cookie policy (Cookie2)

* Support for multipart MIME coded entities

-------------------
Download -
<http://jakarta.apache.org/site/downloads/downloads_httpcomponents-httpclient.cgi>
Release notes -
<http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/httpcomponents/httpclient/RELEASE_NOTES.txt>
HttpComponents site - <http://jakarta.apache.org/httpcomponents/>

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] HttpComponents HttpClient 4.0-alpha1 Released

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 18:28 +0200, David J. M. Karlsen wrote:
> Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> > HttpClient 4.0 represents a complete, ground-up redesign and almost a
> > complete rewrite of the HttpClient 3.x codeline. This release finally
> > addresses several design flaws that existed since the 1.0 release and
> > could not be fixed without a major code overhaul and breaking API
> > compatibility.
> >
> > The HttpClient 4.0 API is still very experimental and is bound to change
> > in the course of the ALPHA development phase. Several important features
> > have not yet been ported to the new API.
> >
> Cool - good work.
> Just curious (not critisism) - why not base this on the Apache MINA project?

David,

(1) There are good and bad things about MINA. While it has a nice and
elegant API I _personally_ consider MINA's way of doing certain things
pretty sub-optimal. For instance, maybe for some protocols creating a
Future object for _every_ write operation makes sense, but I personally
fail to see a point in doing so for HTTP. I also tend to dislike the way
MINA manages memory. Again, this is just my personal, very humble
opinion.

(2) NIO tends to perform significantly worse than the classic blocking
I/O in terms of data throughput as long as the number of worker threads
is less then a thousand. I do not see a reason why a pure HTTP client
may need over a thousand worker threads.

Oleg

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] HttpComponents HttpClient 4.0-alpha1 Released

Posted by "David J. M. Karlsen" <da...@davidkarlsen.com>.

--
David J. M. Karlsen - +47 90 68 22 43
http://www.davidkarlsen.com