Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/01/01 18:59:17 UTC

Re: [EXT] Dictionary extension for a Latin transcription of Persian

On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 12:43 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 31/12/2012 Hamid Farroukh wrote:
>>
>> I have made a dictionray extension for the transcription of Persian
>> with Latin alphabet. That means, I have a way of writting Persian as
>> I would write English or German. This should help joung Persians
>> living in the US and Europe to learn Persian and write Persian texts.
>

> Hi, is this version of Persian something that you personally conceived or
> something more standardized, perhaps one of the Persian transliterations
> listed at
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_language#Latin_alphabet ?
>
> If it has a name and it is a somewhat standard transliteration, we can
> definitely include it in OpenOffice 4, expected in April or around.
>

>> 1- Is it possible to use a custom dictionary for Persian as a
>> "western language"? Users should see an entry in the language
>> selection indicating Persian.
>

> Adding another language is feasible. We prefer to add languages that have an
> ISO code or some form of standardization. It wouldn't be called "Persian" to
> avoid name clash, but something like "Persian (Latin)" or "Persian
> (Fingilish)" (if that's the name) could be feasible. Note that here I'm just
> referring to add a language name, i.e., just one additional option in the
> list where you can select if your text is in English, or German, or French
> and so on.

This spec is rather new, so I don't know if Pootle supports it yet,
but it gives a syntax for BCP language tags with transliteration:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6497

-Rob

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 1 January 2013 18:59, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 12:43 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > On 31/12/2012 Hamid Farroukh wrote:
> >>
> >> I have made a dictionray extension for the transcription of Persian
> >> with Latin alphabet. That means, I have a way of writting Persian as
> >> I would write English or German. This should help joung Persians
> >> living in the US and Europe to learn Persian and write Persian texts.
> >

> > Hi, is this version of Persian something that you personally conceived or
> > something more standardized, perhaps one of the Persian transliterations
> > listed at
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_language#Latin_alphabet ?
> >
> > If it has a name and it is a somewhat standard transliteration, we can
> > definitely include it in OpenOffice 4, expected in April or around.
> >

> >> 1- Is it possible to use a custom dictionary for Persian as a
> >> "western language"? Users should see an entry in the language
> >> selection indicating Persian.
> >

> > Adding another language is feasible. We prefer to add languages that
> have an
> > ISO code or some form of standardization. It wouldn't be called
> "Persian" to
> > avoid name clash, but something like "Persian (Latin)" or "Persian
> > (Fingilish)" (if that's the name) could be feasible. Note that here I'm
> just
> > referring to add a language name, i.e., just one additional option in the
> > list where you can select if your text is in English, or German, or
> French
> > and so on.
> >

> This spec is rather new, so I don't know if Pootle supports it yet,
> but it gives a syntax for BCP language tags with transliteration:
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6497

If you with Pootle means the server, it simply handles UTF8 and does not
really do a lot with them (except for review, which we do not use at the
moment). Mysql is prepared for any type of UTF8 strings.

Be aware that the pootle server will be upgraded in the near future, we are
already working on "stabilizing" the setup.

Thx for the rfc, that comes handy to another problem I have.

jan I.