Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by Janne Jalkanen <ja...@ecyrd.com> on 2009/12/21 08:52:22 UTC

Re: svn commit: r892689 - in /incubator/jspwiki/trunk: ./ etc/ src/WebContent/ src/WebContent/templates/default/ src/java/org/apache/wiki/ src/java/org/apache/wiki/action/ src/java/org/apache/wiki/content/ src/java/org/apache/wiki/content/inspect/ src/java...

Hey, does this mean that the captcha is now a part of the edit page? If so, let's reconsider. Captchas as a part of the edit process are a BAD IDEA (even though they're used quite a lot), since they disrupt the edit experience, and increase the participation threshold.  It's intellectually bloody lazy to just slap a captcha onto every editor, which is exactly what I've tried to avoid building the Captcha system for JSPWiki.

The idea of Captcha.jsp is that IF we suspect that you're a bot (through the context examination system), THEN you are redirected to a custom workflow which ensures that you're a human.  Unfortunately, the captcha system was never rewritten as a workflow, since the spam protection predates that code.  I think it would be much better if it we did that.  Unfortunately, I don't understand the workflow system at all (despite reading the documentation several times), so I can't help you much there :-(

/Janne