Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Nathan Coast <na...@db.com> on 2013/07/18 17:23:17 UTC

chaining release:prepare release:perform for multi-module [I]

Classification: For internal use only

Hi all,

I appreciate the "normal" approach to executing a maven release is to
execute release:prepare, followed by release:perform

I am attempting to set up a release job within our build server (TeamCity)
which will atomically create a release.  Assuming successful execution.

mvn release:prepare release:perform

My concern is that this will execute prepare followed by perform upon each
module in the reactor build order.  Where what is needed is for
release:prepare to be executed in full, followed by release perform in
full.

Is there any way to configure this in a single chained command?  Or will I
have to configure multiple build jobs and link the jobs?

Regards,
Nathan

---

Please refer to http://www.db.com/en/content/eu_disclosures.htm for additional EU corporate and regulatory disclosures.

RE: chaining release:prepare release:perform for multi-module [I]

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.

you can specify which goals to execute before the release to quote

<goals>"A space separated list of goals to execute on deployment. Default value is either deploy or deploy site-deploy, if the project has a< distributionManagement>/<site> element.
User property is: goals.
</goals>

http://maven.apache.org/maven-release/maven-release-plugin/perform-mojo.html

Martin Gainty

Posted by Ziga Gregoric <zi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nathan,

Never used svn-settings, can't help there.
What works for me is to login with teamcity user to my build server,
run one release from command line - svn asks for credentials and saves
it (imho under ~.svnsomething, but I'm not sure). With svn credentials
saved for teamcity user, it should work for release job from teamcity
also.

Regards,
Ziga

On 19. jul. 2013, at 17:12, Nathan Coast <na...@db.com> wrote:

Classification: For internal use only

Hi Ziga,

Thanks for the pointers.

I solved the problem with a build job with two build steps -
1) release:prepare
2) release:perform

sort of obvious really.   I'm now struggling with using cached SVN
credentials.  I'm using this SCM provider to manage interaction with SVN
during release.

https://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/maven-scm-provider-svnjava/wiki/UsingWithReleasePlugin

I have configured this:
http://maven.apache.org/scm/subversion.html

with

<svn-settings>
 <useAuthCache>true</useAuthCache>
</svn-settings>

However I still need to place the credentials in the settings.xml in order
for the build to succeed.

Any suggestions?
Regards,
Nathan

From:
Ziga Gregoric <zi...@gmail.com>
To:
Maven Users List <us...@maven.apache.org>,
Date:
18/07/2013 16:43
Re: chaining release:prepare release:perform for multi-module [I]

Nathan,

Strategy working for me is to have two jobs, one doing mvn clean
install on every commit and another for release.

The release job would do mvn release:prepare release:perform
--batch-mode on my multi module project's parent pom.

With TeamCity and svn it works great, and the install job gives me a
safety net that trunk is green.

Regards,
Ziga

Posted by Nathan Coast <na...@db.com>.
[...]