Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Jim Stafford <ji...@raba.com> on 2006/03/28 04:14:55 UTC

unable to generate in-line wsdl (AXIS-2226)

I am having a problem generating online WSDL from my application. It
appears to be a similar issue that was reported in AXIS-2226
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS-2226), except mine actually
fails. The error reported back to the browser is

Fault - Bean attribute _value is of type java.lang.String, which is not a simple type

I traced this down the SimpleSerializer and appeared to come to the same
conclusion that the orginal poster had; that there was a typo in one of
the if statements. I have two primary issues/questions before moving
forward.

a) The issue was openned in Sep, 2005 and is still unassigned. Does that
mean that no one else is seeing the issue or that the suggested change
would either not fix the problem or would cause other harm?

b) I am having various issues making the change myself.
b.1) I cannot seem to obtain the source from  the URL posted on the web
site.

cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic login

Logging in to :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.apache.org:2401/home/cvspublic
CVS password:
cvs [login aborted]: connect to cvs.apache.org(209.237.227.194):2401
failed: Connection refused

In the jira report, the comments indicate that subversion is being used.
This seems inconsistent with what is on the main page; please advise.

b.2) I attempted to make the change to the src download. The archives
built successfully with both JDK 1.4 and JDK 1.5. However, whenever I
deploy the application with the newly compiled version, I get the
following from my Tomcat apache-tomcat-5.5.16

Mar 27, 2006 8:47:21 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployWAR
INFO: Deploying web application archive dmv3WS.war
Mar 27, 2006 8:47:22 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Error listenerStart
Mar 27, 2006 8:47:22 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
SEVERE: Context [/dmv3WS] startup failed due to previous errors

All I changed was the _value if statement on line 243 of the
SimpleSerializer, so I would think that its something else, like JDK
versions, etc. My WSDL and web service classes are compiled with JDK 1.5.

I'm more than willing to dig in here and get this working, but I seem to
need a jump-start.
thanks,
jim

Re: unable to generate in-line wsdl (AXIS-2226)

Posted by Dies Koper <di...@jp.fujitsu.com>.
Hello Jim,

The ?wsdl function has its quirks. You can try reporting them, fixing
them, or work around them.
As there is a simple work-around, I think most people choose the latter
way, and that is probably why it is "unassigned" (no developer is
looking at it).
The work-around is to use the wsdl-file tag in the WSDD file. There you
specify the WSDL file that you want to be returned by ?wsdl, thereby
avoiding any bugs in the regeneration processing.

The URL on the web site is old. Use SVN:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/axis/trunk/java/

Good luck!
Dies