Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> on 2006/01/26 19:16:24 UTC

[Proposal] code freeze on dispatcher related resources in trunk

Hi all,

I propose a code freeze on *all* dispatcher related resources in trunk
starting 28.01.2006 (hopefully ending 14.02.2006).

I will create a real branch in the upcoming days (on the 28th or soonish
after) from the current trunk where I would like to refactor the v2
plugins to the dispatcher.

I would like that all dispatcher related development will happen in this
branch to secure that we will not get any conflict when merging back.

Thoughts, objections?

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: [Proposal] code freeze on dispatcher related resources in trunk

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>>>However it is not yet, so that might hold up our
>>>0.8 release.
>>
>>1) why is it not ready?
>

> A while ago i noticed big performance problems.
> e.g. building site-author took four times as long.
>
> We need to do at least basic profiling.

+1 - to do this we need a release candidate. This thread makes it sound
like Thorsten is ready for this.

We also need to do this with the locationmap stuff. Tims work on caching
has improved things considerably, but there are still problems, I think.

See FOR-200

Perhaps we need a new "control" issue for the dispatcher, much like
for-200 is for the locationmap.

>>3) did we decide to switch from skins to the dispatcher in a 0.8
>>release?
>

> No, not even mentioned it yet. The last that i heard
> was that 0.8 was going to be mainly about locationmap
> with a test version of dispatcher-in-development.
>
> However, it sounds like you have made huge gains. Good.
>
> We would have a total documentation revision when that
> switch happens.

Yes, I would propose releasing 0.8 with the dispatcher as a plugin and
the skins system clearly marked as "deprecated". We should positively
encourage users to stop using skins and switch to the dispatcher.

The actual swap should happen in 0.9.

My reasoning is that we will have had more people testing the dispatcher
(I am continually hitting glitches with it at the moment - but I'm using
V2 so am not going into detail). In addition it will give us more time
to tidy up the docs and improve on performance (should it still be
needed after the v3 stuff).

Ross

Re: [Proposal] code freeze on dispatcher related resources in trunk

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> David Crossley escribi??:
> > Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > >
> > > I propose a code freeze on *all* dispatcher related resources in trunk
> > > starting 28.01.2006 (hopefully ending 14.02.2006).
> > >
> > > I will create a real branch in the upcoming days (on the 28th or soonish
> > > after) from the current trunk where I would like to refactor the v2
> > > plugins to the dispatcher.
> > >
> > > I would like that all dispatcher related development will happen in this
> > > branch to secure that we will not get any conflict when merging back.
> > >
> > > Thoughts, objections?
> >
> > I too am not quite sure what the plan is.
> >
> > Why do you need to branch? I am just trying to
> > make sure that we do only "branch when needed".
>
> I do not know anymore what to say since as soon I try to start the
> refactoring it seems I am doing it the "wrong way". ;-) I recommended to
> create two new plugins but then people started to say it is producing
> too much confusion. Now I followed their recommendation and people start
> the other way around.
>
> I am confused.

The problem was that you made a partial branch with
the two new plugins. No need.

> > Is it because the "themer" plugin in forrest/plugins
> > will have the same name as the current whiteboard plugin?
>
> Actually no. I thought to rename the structurer to
> org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.dispatcher and the themer to
> org.apache.forrest.themes.core

Then that can be done in the whiteboard as normal.

> > Are there any changes to the actual core of Forrest
> > or is all the work contained in those two plugins?
>
> Everything is is in the plugins.
>
> > I suppose that one good reason to branch is that it
> > enables us to avoid these complications that we have
> > been having with "versions" of dispatcher amd mis-match
> > with docs.
>
> Hmm, yeah, but since the new system need a rewrite of parts of the docs
> it is marginal.
>
> > Also i suppose that this will let us remove all the
> > old views-related plugins from the whiteboard and do
> > a general tidy-up of dispatcher-related stuff.
>
> I actually started it and am nearly finished in regard to views. I did
> not touch "old" documentation (<0.8) since back then we released with
> the views plugins v1.
>
> > Everything
> > will change when the branch merges, so that provides
> > a definite point for developers who use using the
> > older stuff in production.
>
> That is correct.
>
> > Normally we would develop in the whiteboard and when
> > we are satisfied, we decide to move it into forrest/plugins
> > However i gather that that cannot be done in this case.
> > Is that correct?
>
> No, it can be done like I always stated. I suggested the branch to
> satisfy those people who did not wanted just other dispatcher related
> plugins. Anyway all work *can* be done in 2 new plugins and without a
> branch (like I always stated) thanks to the great plugin system and the
> flexibility of the dispatcher.

Then that is the way that it should be done.

> > One thing does get me concerned. I wonder if you might be
> > rushing the merge, maybe to meet some non-project deadline.
>
> No, it is not because of my speech at the conference. It is for me a
> good motivation to finally finish the work of over 1 1/2 years but it is
> not the main motivation. I would like to see finally the dispatcher as
> official part of forrest since we reached a point where no major bugs
> can't be found.

Good.

> > Once we move the dispatcher out of the whiteboard then
> > we are saying that it is ready for prime time.
>
> Actually it is already prepared for prime time IMO, especially as soon I
> can start refactoring the current version because I will slim down the
> plugins to <50% of they current code. That said maybe I am not the one
> to state that it is ready for prime time because I know the dispatcher
> quite well. ;-)
>
> > However it is not yet, so that might hold up our
> > 0.8 release.
>
> 1) why is it not ready?

A while ago i noticed big performance problems.
e.g. building site-author took four times as long.

We need to do at least basic profiling.

> 2) do we have plans to release 0.8 within a month?

No.

The point of my comment was that merging branches can
hold up a release.

> 3) did we decide to switch from skins to the dispatcher in a 0.8
> release?

No, not even mentioned it yet. The last that i heard
was that 0.8 was going to be mainly about locationmap
with a test version of dispatcher-in-development.

However, it sounds like you have made huge gains. Good.

We would have a total documentation revision when that
switch happens.

> The only thing that is holding up my work right now is the endless
> discussion about *how* we should do the refactoring.
>
> I am tiered of this endless discussion and will follow what the forrest
> PMC decide, but please let us decide it once and for all. The only
> bummer is that I planed to start the work this weekend and actually did
> not plan anything else in my spare time and now I am sitting here
> waiting that this endless discussion is coming to an end and cannot do
> the work that needs to be done. :(

It should have just been done in the whiteboard then.
You should do that now. If we decide that there is
a need for a branch then that can still be done.

-David

Re: [Proposal] code freeze on dispatcher related resources in trunk

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> I propose a code freeze on *all* dispatcher related resources in trunk
> starting 28.01.2006 (hopefully ending 14.02.2006).
>
> I will create a real branch in the upcoming days (on the 28th or soonish
> after) from the current trunk where I would like to refactor the v2
> plugins to the dispatcher.
>
> I would like that all dispatcher related development will happen in this
> branch to secure that we will not get any conflict when merging back.
>
> Thoughts, objections?

I too am not quite sure what the plan is.

Why do you need to branch? I am just trying to
make sure that we do only "branch when needed".

Is it because the "themer" plugin in forrest/plugins
will have the same name as the current whiteboard plugin?

Are there any changes to the actual core of Forrest
or is all the work contained in those two plugins?

I suppose that one good reason to branch is that it
enables us to avoid these complications that we have
been having with "versions" of dispatcher amd mis-match
with docs.

Also i suppose that this will let us remove all the
old views-related plugins from the whiteboard and do
a general tidy-up of dispatcher-related stuff. Everything

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.
On 1/26/06, Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I propose a code freeze on *all* dispatcher related resources in trunk
> starting 28.01.2006 (hopefully ending 14.02.2006).
>
> I will create a real branch in the upcoming days (on the 28th or soonish
> after) from the current trunk where I would like to refactor the v2
> plugins to the dispatcher.
>
> I would like that all dispatcher related development will happen in this
> branch to secure that we will not get any conflict when merging back.
>
> Thoughts, objections?
>
> salu2
> --
> thorsten
>
> "Together we stand, divided we fall!"
> Hey you (Pink Floyd)

I'm not sure I understand what you're planning/proposing.  Is this
moving dispatcher stuff to core?  or is this just asking to stop
development on the whiteboard plugins (themer|structurer)?  Either
way, I'm happy with anything that contains Dispatcher and codefreeze
in the same sentence;)

--tim

Re: [Proposal] code freeze on dispatcher related resources in trunk

Posted by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au>.
| I propose a code freeze on *all* dispatcher related resources in trunk
| starting 28.01.2006 (hopefully ending 14.02.2006).
|
| I will create a real branch in the upcoming days (on the 28th or soonish
| after) from the current trunk where I would like to refactor the v2
| plugins to the dispatcher.
|
| I would like that all dispatcher related development will happen in this
| branch to secure that we will not get any conflict when merging back.
|
| Thoughts, objections?

No objections from me.
I am not making any code improvements at this stage.
I am just playing aeound and getting a new theme working.
I guess maybe I'll have to make a few changes once the
refactoring is done but thats fine with me.

Gav...

Posted by Cyriaque Dupoirieux <Cy...@pcotech.fr>.
Hi Thorsten,

    Do what you think is the best for us, I will not touch the
dispatcher for few weeks ;-) .
    Please, once you have done what you decided, tell us the name of the
branch in order we switch - And for this I hope it will work because
last time I had to delete my working copy :-( .

Salutations,
Cyriaque,