Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2010/10/25 22:14:48 UTC

changing uima-as packaging to include base uima

for 2.3.0, we packaged uima-as so that it contained:
- uima-as code
- dependency: spring
- dependency: activeMQ
- dependency: Saxon

but not base UIMA, which was also a dependency.  The instructions were to go and
download base UIMA and then unzip uima-as "over the base" (because it had things
which needed directory alignment with the base).

One reason for doing this was to reduce the size of the uima-as download.

I now think that we should reverse that decision, and weigh the simplicity of
having uima-as contain everything it needs including base UIMA, with higher
weight than reducing somewhat the size of the download.

Some stats (showing compressed sizes)

Binaries:
2.3.0 UIMA-AS (w/o base uima): 17-18M (ActiveMQ + Saxon: 83%)
2.3.0 UIMA:                    20-22M zipped.  (Docs account for 85%)

Sources:
2.3.0 UIMA-AS (w/o base uima): 8-9M (Activemq + Saxon: 70%
                                     (because src incl. "lib" dir w/ jars -
                                     this needs fixing :-)
              should be:       ~3 M
2.3.0 UIMA:                    12-14M (~60% in docbooks + uimaj core)
   should drop by ~15% because we're dropping the docbook tool chain

What do others think?

-Marshall