Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/29 18:09:19 UTC

Nutch 2.X Vagrent WAS Re: [RELEASE] Apache Nutch 1.9

Hi Nicholas,

NOTE: Thread name has changed to reflect diversion on topic.

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 6:01 AM, <us...@nutch.apache.org> wrote:

> will you use config management like ansible backing vagrant?

Well thanks for the links here. The github repos they have indicates that
they code is GPL licensed meaning that we would not be able to use and
distribute any of it under the ASLv2.0
http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html

I wonder if you can explain a bit about your expereince with Ansible? I
have never used it myself. Sorry for the ignorance.

> personally, i find vagrant a pita but the config management often packaged
> with vagrant the really useful and portable thing

+1

> I dont run macs and i would prefer not to use vagrant also

Any other suggestion? The goal here is to make 2.X easier to use. Not to
support any one enabling technology in order to do so. If there are other
suggestions out there then it would be more than great to hear them.
Thanks
Lewis

Re: Nutch 2.X Vagrent WAS Re: [RELEASE] Apache Nutch 1.9

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
How about simply including a Vagrantfile for Nutch in
the trunk?

Then someone would:

svn co https:// or;
git clone https://github.com/apache/nutch
cd nutch
vagrant up

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chief Architect
Office: 168-519, Mailstop: 168-527
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:  http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Posted by Nicholas Roberts <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lewis

I have a main development server and connect to it from other machines over
Lan and sometimes via Wan

Vagrant by itself has highly constrained network config. you need the
proprietary cloud vagrant share which does ssh tunnels or you use config
management for networking

A vagrant file with a chef recipe (apache lic) for config would be doubly
useful

There is nothing else like vagrantfile. Maybe dockerfile but docker is
orthogonal to vagrant