Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM> on 2006/04/13 02:11:02 UTC

!$!% derbyall

<rant on>
Sorry, but it is so frustrating.  I started a derbyall run at 9 this
morning, and it was still running this evening.  My CPU was at 100%, I
could get barely any work done, and then my machine hung up, I had to
reboot, and the way our harness works you have to start *completely from
scratch* -- there is no way to start from the beginning.
</rant off>

If I weren't so busy trying to get some this i18n work completed I would
do the work of defining a smaller MATS.

Instead I must sigh and restart the thing all over again.  Hopefully by
tomorrow morning it will be completed.   I have two other patches in the
queue waiting for machine resources so I can run derbyall for them as
well...

David

Re: Patch for running RunSuite with a list of suites (was Re: !$!% derbyall)

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On 4/13/06, David W. Van Couvering <Da...@sun.com> wrote:
> Great, thanks.
>
> I'll try your patch out.  Is this something you'll commit if it works
> for you (and me)?

Sure. I think I'd rather call the new method adhocSuite instead of
overrideSuites, since that's more descriptive, and I've some other
minor mods to make before it goes in, but if it works out for you,
I'll commit.

andrew

Re: Patch for running RunSuite with a list of suites (was Re: !$!% derbyall)

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
Great, thanks.

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
This is great, Andrew, thanks!

Can anyone tell me how I find out, if derbyall or any suite goes down
half-way through, what suites have run so far, and which ones have
passed and which ones have failed?

Thanks,

David

Re: !$!% derbyall

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.

Re: !$!% derbyall

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On 4/12/06, David W. Van Couvering <Da...@sun.com> wrote:
> <rant on>
> Sorry, but it is so frustrating.  I started a derbyall run at 9 this
> morning, and it was still running this evening.  My CPU was at 100%, I
> could get barely any work done, and then my machine hung up, I had to
> reboot, and the way our harness works you have to start *completely from
> scratch* -- there is no way to start from the beginning.
> </rant off>

I'm with you on that. I've always wanted to have RunSuite take a list
of suites, not just one. Then, if e.g. derbyall bites in somewhere in
the middle you can just pass it the remaining suites to rerun. And it
would be nice if it could take an ad-hoc suite as an argument from a
properties file or even directly from the command line. Or an
exclude-subsuites property to selectively skip certain subsuites of an
already existing suite.

The first option above should be fairly easy, the others not so much.

andrew

Re: !$!% derbyall

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
A couple of thoughts on this.

1) I find frequent defragmentation is helpful in moving things along.
2) I was noticing in porting DERBY-614 that big.sql runs in derbyall
with network server but not embedded.
    I first thought we should run that in embedded, but then started
thinking that actually running it in network server, does run it in
embedded.  A lot of the sql tests we run twice like this, once in
embedded and once in network server, where just the network server run
would provide all the coverage we need.  Just something to consider for
the MATS suite.

Kathey

Re: !$!% derbyall

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
I usually do run derbynetclientmats.  But sometimes I adjust message
text to make it more generic/have it make more sense for both client and
engine.  And sometimes the message text is just plain wrong or
confusing.  So this affects the embedded tests.

David

Re: !$!% derbyall

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.

Re: !$!% derbyall

Posted by Mike Matrigali <mi...@sbcglobal.net>.

David W. Van Couvering wrote:
> Thanks for your tips and concern, all.
>
> Mike: I remember that it used to take me four hours a few weeks ago, and
> I didn't have these CPU issues, but this latest run broke all records.
> My laptop is pretty good -- I upgraded specifically so I could run
> derbyall on it and keep working, but for some reason yesterday it was
> just killing me.
I see now from other comments that comparing to 10.1 is not very useful,
I'll keep an eye out next time I run against trunk.  I usually run over
night, so in the past I haven't really noticed.

Re: !$!% derbyall

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
Thanks, Dyre, good info.

I was running with 393331

I'll try nice, I was surprised to find it available on Cygwin.

David

Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM wrote:
> "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM> writes:
>

>>Thanks for your tips and concern, all.
>>
>>Mike: I remember that it used to take me four hours a few weeks ago, and
>>I didn't have these CPU issues, but this latest run broke all records.
>>My laptop is pretty good -- I upgraded specifically so I could run
>>derbyall on it and keep working, but for some reason yesterday it was
>>just killing me.
>

> Do you happen to know the exact revision you were running?
>
> From
> http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby/index.html/derbyall_history.html
>
> it looks like r392019 and r392564 took a long time, up to 2.5
> times the baseline on some platforms.
>
> A general observation is that the running time seems to increase with
> the number of failures.
>
> I try to run derbyall with nice. It usually doesn't take much longer,
> AND my machine is usable, even during stress.multi.

Re: !$!% derbyall

Posted by Dy...@Sun.COM.

--
dt

Re: !$!% derbyall

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
Thanks for your tips and concern, all.

Mike: I remember that it used to take me four hours a few weeks ago, and
I didn't have these CPU issues, but this latest run broke all records.
My laptop is pretty good -- I upgraded specifically so I could run
derbyall on it and keep working, but for some reason yesterday it was
just killing me.

When I ran Task Manager, it showed java.exe taking up 80-90% of CPU, and
when certain tests ran (stress.multi) it went up to 100%.

Kathey: I run Disk Defragmenter every day... (except yesterday, as I was
already in trouble before it kicked off automatically, so I killed it)

[PC Information]
OS Version                    Microsoft Windows XP Professional
5.1.2600   Service Pack 2
CPU                           Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 2.00GHz
Memory                        2048MB RAM
Hard Disk Capacity            60,011,642,880 [Byte]   55.890 [GB]
Hard Disk Free Space Capacity 29,242,060,800 [Byte]   27.234 [GB]
IDE Device 1                  HTS726060M9AT00
(I got this disk particularly because it was reasonably fast)

David

Re: !$!% derbyall

Posted by Mike Matrigali <mi...@sbcglobal.net>.

Re: !$!% derbyall

Posted by Satheesh Bandaram <sa...@Sourcery.Org>.

Rick Hillegas wrote:

> 2) I seem to recall that, earlier this year, optimizer modifications
> bloated up the the per-query running time.

I second Army's note... I would like to see specifics if true. The only
known problem after original Army's fixes is with NIST test taking much
longer, for which Army submitted a fix sometime ago. I checked in the
fix into trunk yesterday. If anyone know any specific performance
regressions, I would like to know about them.

Satheesh

Re: !$!% derbyall

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Army,

This is probably the issue I was referring to. If it's resolved, that's
great.

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: !$!% derbyall

Posted by Army <qo...@gmail.com>.

Re: !$!% derbyall

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
On my similalry configured machine, debyall takes about half a day to
run. This contrasts with its behavior last July, when it took maybe 3-4
hours. It's my impression that derbyall takes significantly longer to
run this week than it did last week. Here are my unscientific musings:

1) On my machine, I notice that tests take significantly longer if I run
them under the SecurityManager.