Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by John Almberg <ja...@identry.com> on 2002/12/22 08:25:50 UTC

[users@httpd] Configuring Apache 2.0 to run behind Linksys cable modem router

I've just upgraded from 1.3.something to 2.0.40. Because my cable
company blocks port 80, I run my server (just a test server) on port 431.

Everything works fine behind my Linksys cablemodem router . . . I can
access the server from my workstation across my lan at the lan address
192.168.1.101:431, or from the server itself at localhost:431.

The problem comes when I try to access the server from the net. My
external IP address, which is theoretically dynamic but rarely changes,
is something like 24.47.26.95, but I can't access the web server at
24.47.26.95:431.

This worked just fine on 1.3 but not on 2.0. I've obviously got
something wrong in my config file, but I'll be darned if I can figure
out what. Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks: John

Re: [users@httpd] Configuring Apache 2.0 to run behind Linksys cable modem router

Posted by Jim Walls <k6...@earthlink.net>.
John Almberg wrote:

> I've just upgraded from 1.3.something to 2.0.40. Because my cable
> company blocks port 80, I run my server (just a test server) on port 431.
>
> Everything works fine behind my Linksys cablemodem router . . . I can
> access the server from my workstation across my lan at the lan address
> 192.168.1.101:431, or from the server itself at localhost:431.
>
> The problem comes when I try to access the server from the net. My
> external IP address, which is theoretically dynamic but rarely changes,
> is something like 24.47.26.95, but I can't access the web server at
> 24.47.26.95:431.
>
> This worked just fine on 1.3 but not on 2.0. I've obviously got
> something wrong in my config file, but I'll be darned if I can figure
> out what. Any help greatly appreciated!

Did you remember to route port 431 to the computer that has the Apache?

-----------------------
Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org
http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc/
626-302-8515    FAX  626-302-7501
AMSAT member 32537 / WSWSS member 395
To send me PGP encrypted E-Mail, use:
http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc/PublicKey.html

Re: [users@httpd] Configuring Apache 2.0 to run behind Linksys cable modem router

Posted by John Almberg <ja...@identry.com>.
Arron & Jim,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I did have port
forwarding set but it was set to another address (102). I recently added
a new computer to the lan. When I restarted Linux during the upgrade
process, the router switched my webserver to a different LAN address
(101). I noticed this and thought it was odd, but *didn't* remember to
change the port forwarding address.

All working this morning. Thanks!

-- John

Aaron Sturm wrote:

>Are you fowarding port 431 to your server address (192.168.1.101)?
>
>-Aaron

Identry, LLC
www.identry.com
jalmberg@identry.com