Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com> on 2002/12/02 22:12:25 UTC

The organization of xml.apache.org

Hello all,

At ApacheCon I had a number of great discussions with people from all over the ASF.  One
of the many topics of discussion was around the organization of the ASF.  I'm going to try to
summarize the organization discussion below.

It seems that there are 2 major issues:

1. The ASF has a legal responsibility for oversight of the ASF projects.  In order to provide
some degree of legal protection for committers, the ASF needs to demonstrate that
it is providing effective oversight of the projects.  Ultimately, this responsibility rests with the
ASF board and is currently implemented via PMCs.  However, within the ASF there is wide
variation in the implementation of the PMC concept.  In httpd there is a PMC for a single code
base and most of the committers are a part of the PMC.   Contrast that with XML and Jakarta
where there is a single (umbrella/container) PMC for many code bases, and a tiny fraction of
the committers are a part of the PMC.   There has been a movement in the ASF to move
projects out from under the umbrella PMC's and have them be their own projects.  Some people
believe that this will improve the board's visibility into the projects, others believe that this will
create an unmanageable amount of work for the board.

2. The ASF is currently membership-based, non-profit corporation.  The legal liability protections
of the corporation apply to the members.  In the event of a legal action against one of the committers,
the ASF would attempt to defend the committer, but the automatic liability protection of
the corpration would not apply.   At the moment the best way to provide protection to those working
on ASFprojects is via election to membership.  There has been some discussion that the ASF needs
to find a better way to provide legal protection for all contributors to projects.

So why am I sending this message?

I feel that the level of oversight that is being provided for the xml.apache.org projects is insufficient.
The ASF does not have the visibility into the projects that it should have, and the projects are not
getting the help/guidance/whatever that they need from the ASF.  Something needs to be changed.

There are a number of possible solutions -- not all of them are mutually exclusive:

1. Help any xml.apache.org project that wishes to become a top-level project to do so.  Each
top-level project will then have its own PMC which will report directly to the ASF board.

2. Expand the xml.apache.org PMC so that every project has a representative

3. Alter the structure of xml.apache.org to have an "administrative" PMC that takes care of legal type
stuff, and a "technical" PMC that focuses more on techical issues and oversight.

4. Some option that hasn't been thought of yet.

So, let's have a discussion about how to improve the situation. I'd like to hear people's opinions on the
options that I presented above, as well as any other suggestions for improvement.

Please express your opinions!

Ted

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net>.
Hi, I didn't reply to the whole list of lists to which this was posted,
but I wanted to see if anyone in the XML-RPC project has a better angle
on this than I do.

What does this all mean in English?  This seems to be the tail end of a
long thread from some other list.  How is this going to affect the
XML-RPC project?

For example, I would be alarmed to see XML-RPC, Axis, and XML-Security
all get a mandate to become one project or leave Apache.

--
Ryan Hoegg
ISIS Networks

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
My preference would be that we have a single brand.  Apache.

At the moment organizational structure of the foundation is reflected in
the dns's and the project names.   I think it would be better to separate
these two issues.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net>.

Posted by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net>.

Posted by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net>.

Posted by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net>.

Posted by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net>.

Posted by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net>.

Posted by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Steven Noels wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> Steven Noels wrote:
>

>> Less structure, more responsibility.
>

> ACK
>
>>> Also, I don't know whether this approach will help smaller
>>> communities to mix & merge: they'll get lost without some proper
>>> identity. Do we want incubator or commons to contain that many
>>> projects? How many people will still have the overview?
>>

>> Apart from having all commit privileges to all jakarta projects, I
>> don't see why this will necessarily change communities. They don't
>> have to mix and merge, they are simply becoming aware that they are
>> part of Jakarta, or have to go top-level.
>>
>> Increasing awareness of what Jakarta and Xml.Apache really are -
>> projects - instead of pretending they are smaller Apaches.
>

> Point taken & agree.
>
> Getting back to the original question however, it felt like Ted (as XML
> PMC member) came to ask us what this XML project needs to be, i.e. what
> the XML PMC should take care off. If everyone leaves and becomes a
> toplevel project (which I don't believe will happen), what will happen
> to the XML project then?

If (as you believe will not happen) not all projects become top-level,
there is no problem.
If all go top-level, they will be happy of it, since they are not
obliged to do it, so itìs still not a problem.

Bottom line: tell everyone what should be done, ie top-level or in the
same xml project.

If something is needed, it will naturally remain.
If it's not it will naturally go away.

  -> No problem :-)

> I'll think some more about that.
>
> </Steven>

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
Steven Noels wrote:
> If everyone leaves and becomes a toplevel project (which
 > I don't believe will happen), what will happen to the
 > XML project then?

I think too much effort is being expended trying to
decide between everything being a top-level project
or kept within a project group (e.g. XML, Jakarta).
And the problem is intensified by the fact that
there are projects that cross boundaries. So why
have these boundaries at all?

Instead of thinking of where each project feels
comfortable developing, we should be thinking about
how users find the projects and solutions that they
need. Users, especially new ones, don't approach
Apache thinking that they need Tomcat and Cocoon;
they are looking for a server application that lets
them dynamically generate web pages using XML.

So I say make every project independent (unless
there is a direct, mandatory dependency -- i.e. a
sub-project) and then allow each project to decide
which taxonomy (or taxonomies) that are appropriate.

--
Andy Clark * andyc@apache.org

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Steven Noels wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>> I understand your point that a single PMC overlooking a lot of
>>> scattered projects doesn't scale. Still, I believe some of these
>>> smallish subprojects can share a common spirit, without sharing the
>>> developers community. Merging all of these will make them less
>>> visible to the outside world IMHO - meaning developers can meet,
>>> merge or exchange, but to prospective users it will all be one big
>>> sinkhole.
>>

>> IIUC this is to gently nudge them to go top-level with their own PMC.
>> If they want visibility, they need take also the responsibilities.
>

> I agree this is a good solution for the large projects with an active
> community (e.g. Cocoon in the xml.a.o case). Still, I'm not sure whether
> the board needs this avalanche of toplevel projects, all required to
> post their STATUS once in a while, all present upon meetings, etc etc...
> we'll just move the scalability problem one level up, I fear.

No, we are putting *responsibility* where it belongs.
Top level projects have a chair who is legally representative of Apache,
and should manage themselves. Having the whole Jakarta PMC manage them
is too much. What we want to do is not to shift the management to the
board, but to maki it go to the projects.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
> to mix & merge: they'll get lost without some proper identity. Do we
> want incubator or commons to contain that many projects? How many people
> will still have the overview?
>
> Or when they all become top level projects with no management
> container/grouping/clustinger - can the board maintain overview ?

If the projects are able to maintain themselves IMHO yes, as it is in my
company organization.

I am the project manager here and have weekly meetings with 12 people,
all from different work units; if they do their job well and just need
to report, the meeting takes no more than 20 minutes. If they "whine"
(yes, it happens ;-) then it can take more than the whole morning.

The board can always find a pattern in the problems and requests it
recieves, and create groups that address these issues for them, like the
infrastructure group or the incubator project.

Grouping IMHO makes sense, but not really from a management perspective,
since projects can be part of many groups (ie cocoon=java+xml+...).

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.
> to mix & merge: they'll get lost without some proper identity. Do we
> want incubator or commons to contain that many projects? How many people
> will still have the overview?

Or when they all become top level projects with no management
container/grouping/clustinger - can the board maintain overview ?

Dw

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

http://radio.weblogs.com/0103539/2002/12/03.html#a80 ;-)
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
One way of looking at Jakarta Commons Sandbox is as a kind of incubator. So
you
could argue that those projects should move to incubation...

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Steven Noels wrote:
> [suggestion to hold this discussion only on general@xml.a.o from now?]
>
>>  > Separate code bases with separate communities should be separate
>>  > projects.  Independent of the size of the codebase, if the size of
>>  > the community is only a few people, then it is not an ASF project.
>>  > Such efforts can be pursued outside of the ASF, be pursued inside the
>>  > Incubator, or be incorporated inside an existing community – as long
>>  > as all participants in that larger community are treated as peers.
>
> Please define 'a few':

Some undefined number above three.  Undefined only because it is a
judgment call.

> bash-2.04$ cat /home/cvs/CVSROOT/avail | grep fop
> avail|coar,dirkx,stefano,twl,andyh,sboag,jtauber,andyc,rpfeiffe,mpogue,mdierken,kvisco,eduardop,abagchi,rahulj,rwebster,roddey,dleslie,mmidy,sanjiva,dmarston,pauldick,curcuru,dbertoni,jdonohue,robweir,balld,ricardo,zvia,gmarcy,arkin,duncan,aruna1,rajiv,fotis,eschaeffer,arved,gears,jordan,keiron,stanislav,klease,kellyc,artw,tore,bdelacretaz,chrisg,pbwest,pietsch,jeremias,olegt,vmote|xml-fop,xml-site,xml-commons
>
> bash-2.04$ cat /home/cvs/CVSROOT/avail | grep xang
> avail|coar,dirkx,mode,stefano,twl,andyh,sboag,jtauber,andyc,rpfeiffe,mpogue,mdierken,kvisco,eduardop,abagchi,rahulj,rwebster,roddey,dleslie,mmidy,sanjiva,dmarston,pauldick,curcuru,dbertoni,jdonohue,robweir,balld,ricardo,zvia,gmarcy,arkin,duncan,aruna1,rajiv,lehors,jeffreyr,rubys,ben,hbed,duftler,jkesselm,auriemma,jacek,martinf,costin,garyp,johng,tmiller,amiro,morten,ovidiu,jambroziak,santiagopg,ilene,zongaro,mkwan|xml-site,xml-xalan,xml-stylebook,xml-xang,xml-admin,xml-commons
>
> From the result of this, one could possibly say FOP has less community
> then Xang, but we all knew the opposite is quite true.

If taken literally, my read of this is that they are essentially the
same community.

>> With respect to XML, I honestly don't know how many communities we
>> have. But the above provides a recipe to find out.  Without changing
>> any physical layout of mailing lists or cvs repositories, we can begin
>> to phase out the karma and voting boundaries between various
>> subprojects. Those that don't wish to participate will be encouraged
>> to form their own separate projects (or move into incubation).
>
> I agree that breaking the barriers between subprojects, especially
> concerning voting (not so sure about karma), is an interesting
> Darwinistic and community exercise, but if we do so, we should do it
> based on some well-defined criteria.

Each community is welcome to define its own criteria.

> Concerning commit rights, I still believe that commit rights should be
> earned within the community that grows a certain subproject however.

OK, as long as separate community = separate project (in the ASF sense).

> That is, when a 'project' in your scenario would be something like
> cocoon.a.o, and a 'subproject' of that being Forrest.

If the cocoon and forrest share the same community, then this is fine
with me.  Otherwise, this they should be peer projects.

>> What I like most about such a proposal is that it is completely up to
>> the commiters to decide whether they want opt in or opt out.
>
> I would say 'make use of their rights or not' instead of 'opt in/out'.

OK.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

Sam Ruby wrote:

>  > Separate code bases with separate communities should be separate
>  > projects.  Independent of the size of the codebase, if the size of
>  > the community is only a few people, then it is not an ASF project.
>  > Such efforts can be pursued outside of the ASF, be pursued inside the
>  > Incubator, or be incorporated inside an existing community – as long
>  > as all participants in that larger community are treated as peers.

Please define 'a few':

bash-2.04$ cat /home/cvs/CVSROOT/avail | grep fop
avail|coar,dirkx,stefano,twl,andyh,sboag,jtauber,andyc,rpfeiffe,mpogue,mdierken,kvisco,eduardop,abagchi,rahulj,rwebster,roddey,dleslie,mmidy,sanjiva,dmarston,pauldick,curcuru,dbertoni,jdonohue,robweir,balld,ricardo,zvia,gmarcy,arkin,duncan,aruna1,rajiv,fotis,eschaeffer,arved,gears,jordan,keiron,stanislav,klease,kellyc,artw,tore,bdelacretaz,chrisg,pbwest,pietsch,jeremias,olegt,vmote|xml-fop,xml-site,xml-commons
bash-2.04$ cat /home/cvs/CVSROOT/avail | grep xang
avail|coar,dirkx,mode,stefano,twl,andyh,sboag,jtauber,andyc,rpfeiffe,mpogue,mdierken,kvisco,eduardop,abagchi,rahulj,rwebster,roddey,dleslie,mmidy,sanjiva,dmarston,pauldick,curcuru,dbertoni,jdonohue,robweir,balld,ricardo,zvia,gmarcy,arkin,duncan,aruna1,rajiv,lehors,jeffreyr,rubys,ben,hbed,duftler,jkesselm,auriemma,jacek,martinf,costin,garyp,johng,tmiller,amiro,morten,ovidiu,jambroziak,santiagopg,ilene,zongaro,mkwan|xml-site,xml-xalan,xml-stylebook,xml-xang,xml-admin,xml-commons

 From the result of this, one could possibly say FOP has less community

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

Sam Ruby wrote:

>  > Separate code bases with separate communities should be separate
>  > projects.  Independent of the size of the codebase, if the size of
>  > the community is only a few people, then it is not an ASF project.
>  > Such efforts can be pursued outside of the ASF, be pursued inside the
>  > Incubator, or be incorporated inside an existing community – as long
>  > as all participants in that larger community are treated as peers.

Please define 'a few':

bash-2.04$ cat /home/cvs/CVSROOT/avail | grep fop
avail|coar,dirkx,stefano,twl,andyh,sboag,jtauber,andyc,rpfeiffe,mpogue,mdierken,kvisco,eduardop,abagchi,rahulj,rwebster,roddey,dleslie,mmidy,sanjiva,dmarston,pauldick,curcuru,dbertoni,jdonohue,robweir,balld,ricardo,zvia,gmarcy,arkin,duncan,aruna1,rajiv,fotis,eschaeffer,arved,gears,jordan,keiron,stanislav,klease,kellyc,artw,tore,bdelacretaz,chrisg,pbwest,pietsch,jeremias,olegt,vmote|xml-fop,xml-site,xml-commons
bash-2.04$ cat /home/cvs/CVSROOT/avail | grep xang
avail|coar,dirkx,mode,stefano,twl,andyh,sboag,jtauber,andyc,rpfeiffe,mpogue,mdierken,kvisco,eduardop,abagchi,rahulj,rwebster,roddey,dleslie,mmidy,sanjiva,dmarston,pauldick,curcuru,dbertoni,jdonohue,robweir,balld,ricardo,zvia,gmarcy,arkin,duncan,aruna1,rajiv,lehors,jeffreyr,rubys,ben,hbed,duftler,jkesselm,auriemma,jacek,martinf,costin,garyp,johng,tmiller,amiro,morten,ovidiu,jambroziak,santiagopg,ilene,zongaro,mkwan|xml-site,xml-xalan,xml-stylebook,xml-xang,xml-admin,xml-commons

 From the result of this, one could possibly say FOP has less community

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@covalent.net>.
On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 16:41, Sam Ruby wrote:

>  > Separate code bases with separate communities should be separate
>  > projects.  Independent of the size of the codebase, if the size of
>  > the community is only a few people, then it is not an ASF project.
>  > Such efforts can be pursued outside of the ASF, be pursued inside the
>  > Incubator, or be incorporated inside an existing community – as long
>  > as all participants in that larger community are treated as peers.
>
> With respect to XML, I honestly don't know how many communities we have.
>   But the above provides a recipe to find out.  Without changing any
> physical layout of mailing lists or cvs repositories, we can begin to
> phase out the karma and voting boundaries between various subprojects.
> Those that don't wish to participate will be encouraged to form their
> own separate projects (or move into incubation).
>
> What I like most about such a proposal is that it is completely up to
> the commiters to decide whether they want opt in or opt out.
>
> What do others think?

( I changed the to: to include jakarta :-)

I think it is a good idea in general, as long as it is done gradually.

I personally think jakarta-commons commit model works fine  ( even if
the one-mailing-list is not working as well :-). Even when it didn't
seem to work that well ( early days of xml-client for example ), it
actually did work as it was supposed to, and I think people learned
to keep track of what they need and use their vote.

Probably having the walls removed between projects that are close
( tomcat/jasper and taglibs or struts, etc ) would be a good start.

Costin

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

Sam Ruby wrote:

>  > Separate code bases with separate communities should be separate
>  > projects.  Independent of the size of the codebase, if the size of
>  > the community is only a few people, then it is not an ASF project.
>  > Such efforts can be pursued outside of the ASF, be pursued inside the
>  > Incubator, or be incorporated inside an existing community – as long
>  > as all participants in that larger community are treated as peers.

Please define 'a few':

bash-2.04$ cat /home/cvs/CVSROOT/avail | grep fop
avail|coar,dirkx,stefano,twl,andyh,sboag,jtauber,andyc,rpfeiffe,mpogue,mdierken,kvisco,eduardop,abagchi,rahulj,rwebster,roddey,dleslie,mmidy,sanjiva,dmarston,pauldick,curcuru,dbertoni,jdonohue,robweir,balld,ricardo,zvia,gmarcy,arkin,duncan,aruna1,rajiv,fotis,eschaeffer,arved,gears,jordan,keiron,stanislav,klease,kellyc,artw,tore,bdelacretaz,chrisg,pbwest,pietsch,jeremias,olegt,vmote|xml-fop,xml-site,xml-commons
bash-2.04$ cat /home/cvs/CVSROOT/avail | grep xang
avail|coar,dirkx,mode,stefano,twl,andyh,sboag,jtauber,andyc,rpfeiffe,mpogue,mdierken,kvisco,eduardop,abagchi,rahulj,rwebster,roddey,dleslie,mmidy,sanjiva,dmarston,pauldick,curcuru,dbertoni,jdonohue,robweir,balld,ricardo,zvia,gmarcy,arkin,duncan,aruna1,rajiv,lehors,jeffreyr,rubys,ben,hbed,duftler,jkesselm,auriemma,jacek,martinf,costin,garyp,johng,tmiller,amiro,morten,ovidiu,jambroziak,santiagopg,ilene,zongaro,mkwan|xml-site,xml-xalan,xml-stylebook,xml-xang,xml-admin,xml-commons

 From the result of this, one could possibly say FOP has less community

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

Sam Ruby wrote:

>  > Separate code bases with separate communities should be separate
>  > projects.  Independent of the size of the codebase, if the size of
>  > the community is only a few people, then it is not an ASF project.
>  > Such efforts can be pursued outside of the ASF, be pursued inside the
>  > Incubator, or be incorporated inside an existing community – as long
>  > as all participants in that larger community are treated as peers.

Please define 'a few':

bash-2.04$ cat /home/cvs/CVSROOT/avail | grep fop
avail|coar,dirkx,stefano,twl,andyh,sboag,jtauber,andyc,rpfeiffe,mpogue,mdierken,kvisco,eduardop,abagchi,rahulj,rwebster,roddey,dleslie,mmidy,sanjiva,dmarston,pauldick,curcuru,dbertoni,jdonohue,robweir,balld,ricardo,zvia,gmarcy,arkin,duncan,aruna1,rajiv,fotis,eschaeffer,arved,gears,jordan,keiron,stanislav,klease,kellyc,artw,tore,bdelacretaz,chrisg,pbwest,pietsch,jeremias,olegt,vmote|xml-fop,xml-site,xml-commons
bash-2.04$ cat /home/cvs/CVSROOT/avail | grep xang
avail|coar,dirkx,mode,stefano,twl,andyh,sboag,jtauber,andyc,rpfeiffe,mpogue,mdierken,kvisco,eduardop,abagchi,rahulj,rwebster,roddey,dleslie,mmidy,sanjiva,dmarston,pauldick,curcuru,dbertoni,jdonohue,robweir,balld,ricardo,zvia,gmarcy,arkin,duncan,aruna1,rajiv,lehors,jeffreyr,rubys,ben,hbed,duftler,jkesselm,auriemma,jacek,martinf,costin,garyp,johng,tmiller,amiro,morten,ovidiu,jambroziak,santiagopg,ilene,zongaro,mkwan|xml-site,xml-xalan,xml-stylebook,xml-xang,xml-admin,xml-commons

 From the result of this, one could possibly say FOP has less community

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

Sam Ruby wrote:

>  > Separate code bases with separate communities should be separate
>  > projects.  Independent of the size of the codebase, if the size of
>  > the community is only a few people, then it is not an ASF project.
>  > Such efforts can be pursued outside of the ASF, be pursued inside the
>  > Incubator, or be incorporated inside an existing community – as long
>  > as all participants in that larger community are treated as peers.

Please define 'a few':

bash-2.04$ cat /home/cvs/CVSROOT/avail | grep fop
avail|coar,dirkx,stefano,twl,andyh,sboag,jtauber,andyc,rpfeiffe,mpogue,mdierken,kvisco,eduardop,abagchi,rahulj,rwebster,roddey,dleslie,mmidy,sanjiva,dmarston,pauldick,curcuru,dbertoni,jdonohue,robweir,balld,ricardo,zvia,gmarcy,arkin,duncan,aruna1,rajiv,fotis,eschaeffer,arved,gears,jordan,keiron,stanislav,klease,kellyc,artw,tore,bdelacretaz,chrisg,pbwest,pietsch,jeremias,olegt,vmote|xml-fop,xml-site,xml-commons
bash-2.04$ cat /home/cvs/CVSROOT/avail | grep xang
avail|coar,dirkx,mode,stefano,twl,andyh,sboag,jtauber,andyc,rpfeiffe,mpogue,mdierken,kvisco,eduardop,abagchi,rahulj,rwebster,roddey,dleslie,mmidy,sanjiva,dmarston,pauldick,curcuru,dbertoni,jdonohue,robweir,balld,ricardo,zvia,gmarcy,arkin,duncan,aruna1,rajiv,lehors,jeffreyr,rubys,ben,hbed,duftler,jkesselm,auriemma,jacek,martinf,costin,garyp,johng,tmiller,amiro,morten,ovidiu,jambroziak,santiagopg,ilene,zongaro,mkwan|xml-site,xml-xalan,xml-stylebook,xml-xang,xml-admin,xml-commons

 From the result of this, one could possibly say FOP has less community

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

Sam Ruby wrote:

>  > Separate code bases with separate communities should be separate
>  > projects.  Independent of the size of the codebase, if the size of
>  > the community is only a few people, then it is not an ASF project.
>  > Such efforts can be pursued outside of the ASF, be pursued inside the
>  > Incubator, or be incorporated inside an existing community – as long
>  > as all participants in that larger community are treated as peers.

Please define 'a few':

bash-2.04$ cat /home/cvs/CVSROOT/avail | grep fop
avail|coar,dirkx,stefano,twl,andyh,sboag,jtauber,andyc,rpfeiffe,mpogue,mdierken,kvisco,eduardop,abagchi,rahulj,rwebster,roddey,dleslie,mmidy,sanjiva,dmarston,pauldick,curcuru,dbertoni,jdonohue,robweir,balld,ricardo,zvia,gmarcy,arkin,duncan,aruna1,rajiv,fotis,eschaeffer,arved,gears,jordan,keiron,stanislav,klease,kellyc,artw,tore,bdelacretaz,chrisg,pbwest,pietsch,jeremias,olegt,vmote|xml-fop,xml-site,xml-commons
bash-2.04$ cat /home/cvs/CVSROOT/avail | grep xang
avail|coar,dirkx,mode,stefano,twl,andyh,sboag,jtauber,andyc,rpfeiffe,mpogue,mdierken,kvisco,eduardop,abagchi,rahulj,rwebster,roddey,dleslie,mmidy,sanjiva,dmarston,pauldick,curcuru,dbertoni,jdonohue,robweir,balld,ricardo,zvia,gmarcy,arkin,duncan,aruna1,rajiv,lehors,jeffreyr,rubys,ben,hbed,duftler,jkesselm,auriemma,jacek,martinf,costin,garyp,johng,tmiller,amiro,morten,ovidiu,jambroziak,santiagopg,ilene,zongaro,mkwan|xml-site,xml-xalan,xml-stylebook,xml-xang,xml-admin,xml-commons

 From the result of this, one could possibly say FOP has less community

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

Sam Ruby wrote:

>  > Separate code bases with separate communities should be separate
>  > projects.  Independent of the size of the codebase, if the size of
>  > the community is only a few people, then it is not an ASF project.
>  > Such efforts can be pursued outside of the ASF, be pursued inside the
>  > Incubator, or be incorporated inside an existing community – as long
>  > as all participants in that larger community are treated as peers.

Please define 'a few':

bash-2.04$ cat /home/cvs/CVSROOT/avail | grep fop
avail|coar,dirkx,stefano,twl,andyh,sboag,jtauber,andyc,rpfeiffe,mpogue,mdierken,kvisco,eduardop,abagchi,rahulj,rwebster,roddey,dleslie,mmidy,sanjiva,dmarston,pauldick,curcuru,dbertoni,jdonohue,robweir,balld,ricardo,zvia,gmarcy,arkin,duncan,aruna1,rajiv,fotis,eschaeffer,arved,gears,jordan,keiron,stanislav,klease,kellyc,artw,tore,bdelacretaz,chrisg,pbwest,pietsch,jeremias,olegt,vmote|xml-fop,xml-site,xml-commons
bash-2.04$ cat /home/cvs/CVSROOT/avail | grep xang
avail|coar,dirkx,mode,stefano,twl,andyh,sboag,jtauber,andyc,rpfeiffe,mpogue,mdierken,kvisco,eduardop,abagchi,rahulj,rwebster,roddey,dleslie,mmidy,sanjiva,dmarston,pauldick,curcuru,dbertoni,jdonohue,robweir,balld,ricardo,zvia,gmarcy,arkin,duncan,aruna1,rajiv,lehors,jeffreyr,rubys,ben,hbed,duftler,jkesselm,auriemma,jacek,martinf,costin,garyp,johng,tmiller,amiro,morten,ovidiu,jambroziak,santiagopg,ilene,zongaro,mkwan|xml-site,xml-xalan,xml-stylebook,xml-xang,xml-admin,xml-commons

 From the result of this, one could possibly say FOP has less community

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

Sam Ruby wrote:

>  > Separate code bases with separate communities should be separate
>  > projects.  Independent of the size of the codebase, if the size of
>  > the community is only a few people, then it is not an ASF project.
>  > Such efforts can be pursued outside of the ASF, be pursued inside the
>  > Incubator, or be incorporated inside an existing community – as long
>  > as all participants in that larger community are treated as peers.

Please define 'a few':

bash-2.04$ cat /home/cvs/CVSROOT/avail | grep fop
avail|coar,dirkx,stefano,twl,andyh,sboag,jtauber,andyc,rpfeiffe,mpogue,mdierken,kvisco,eduardop,abagchi,rahulj,rwebster,roddey,dleslie,mmidy,sanjiva,dmarston,pauldick,curcuru,dbertoni,jdonohue,robweir,balld,ricardo,zvia,gmarcy,arkin,duncan,aruna1,rajiv,fotis,eschaeffer,arved,gears,jordan,keiron,stanislav,klease,kellyc,artw,tore,bdelacretaz,chrisg,pbwest,pietsch,jeremias,olegt,vmote|xml-fop,xml-site,xml-commons
bash-2.04$ cat /home/cvs/CVSROOT/avail | grep xang
avail|coar,dirkx,mode,stefano,twl,andyh,sboag,jtauber,andyc,rpfeiffe,mpogue,mdierken,kvisco,eduardop,abagchi,rahulj,rwebster,roddey,dleslie,mmidy,sanjiva,dmarston,pauldick,curcuru,dbertoni,jdonohue,robweir,balld,ricardo,zvia,gmarcy,arkin,duncan,aruna1,rajiv,lehors,jeffreyr,rubys,ben,hbed,duftler,jkesselm,auriemma,jacek,martinf,costin,garyp,johng,tmiller,amiro,morten,ovidiu,jambroziak,santiagopg,ilene,zongaro,mkwan|xml-site,xml-xalan,xml-stylebook,xml-xang,xml-admin,xml-commons

 From the result of this, one could possibly say FOP has less community

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

Sam Ruby wrote:

>  > Separate code bases with separate communities should be separate
>  > projects.  Independent of the size of the codebase, if the size of
>  > the community is only a few people, then it is not an ASF project.
>  > Such efforts can be pursued outside of the ASF, be pursued inside the
>  > Incubator, or be incorporated inside an existing community – as long
>  > as all participants in that larger community are treated as peers.

Please define 'a few':

bash-2.04$ cat /home/cvs/CVSROOT/avail | grep fop
avail|coar,dirkx,stefano,twl,andyh,sboag,jtauber,andyc,rpfeiffe,mpogue,mdierken,kvisco,eduardop,abagchi,rahulj,rwebster,roddey,dleslie,mmidy,sanjiva,dmarston,pauldick,curcuru,dbertoni,jdonohue,robweir,balld,ricardo,zvia,gmarcy,arkin,duncan,aruna1,rajiv,fotis,eschaeffer,arved,gears,jordan,keiron,stanislav,klease,kellyc,artw,tore,bdelacretaz,chrisg,pbwest,pietsch,jeremias,olegt,vmote|xml-fop,xml-site,xml-commons
bash-2.04$ cat /home/cvs/CVSROOT/avail | grep xang
avail|coar,dirkx,mode,stefano,twl,andyh,sboag,jtauber,andyc,rpfeiffe,mpogue,mdierken,kvisco,eduardop,abagchi,rahulj,rwebster,roddey,dleslie,mmidy,sanjiva,dmarston,pauldick,curcuru,dbertoni,jdonohue,robweir,balld,ricardo,zvia,gmarcy,arkin,duncan,aruna1,rajiv,lehors,jeffreyr,rubys,ben,hbed,duftler,jkesselm,auriemma,jacek,martinf,costin,garyp,johng,tmiller,amiro,morten,ovidiu,jambroziak,santiagopg,ilene,zongaro,mkwan|xml-site,xml-xalan,xml-stylebook,xml-xang,xml-admin,xml-commons

 From the result of this, one could possibly say FOP has less community

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Ted Leung wrote:

> 4. Some option that hasn't been thought of yet.

Based initially on the reorg discussions, and then a number of F2F
discussions at ApacheCon, I am planning on proposing something radical
within Jakarta, but it applies equally well here.  I provided some
foreshadowing for this proposal in an e-mail to community@apache.org,
with the subject of "Convergence, vetoes, forks, and projects".

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Ted Leung wrote:

> 1. Help any xml.apache.org project that wishes to become a top-level
> project to do so.  Each
> top-level project will then have its own PMC which will report directly
> to the ASF board.

-0, since it doesn't provide any 'safe harbor' for non-toplevel XML
projects. Also, this would require (IIUC) loads of new people to be
added as officers (http://www.apache.org/foundation/), and maybe some
communities wouldn't warrant that (sizewise). AFAIK, Cocoon is the only
project with the ambition of going toplevel.

Let's face it: there are several smaller XML projects, which should be
pampered somehow by a larger community. Pampering in terms of project
setup assistance, legal guidance (and protection), etc... So there is a
role for a common XML PMC.

Another scenario would be topleveling the larger projects, and move the
smaller ones towards Jakarta. I'm not sure whether people would want
that. OTOH, XML is everywhere now :-)

> 2. Expand the xml.apache.org PMC so that every project has a representative

+1, increasing the possibility of 'being more present'. Sorry to say so,
but even though my primary work area is XML-related, I happen to 'know'
more PMC members on the Jakarta side, from posts and interventions on
these mailing lists. I recall myself at least once sending an email to
pmc@xml.a.o which remained unanswered. Maybe, if more people share the
burden of the xml.a.o PMC, questions will not remain unanswered anymore.
Also, I think the common pages of xml.apache.org might need a slight
'contentual' revamp too: I transcoded them to the new xdocs format
required by Forrest several months ago, Nicola pushed them live, but all
this without much interventions nor questions by the xml.a.o PMC. So
even though we now have a new website, it's still the same old content,
and not much has happened on a general level inside xml.a.o

Revamping the community spirit on a general xml.a.o-level is something
an expanded PMC might perhaps work on - and I know this isn't strictly
required from a PMC. But since the birth of that new community-thing,
since several other Apache projects have decided to go toplevel, I have
been wondering what the goal and scope of xml.a.o are when all larger
projects will eventually move away, and new code donations will arrive
at incubator.a.o (still remains to be seen, however).

> 3. Alter the structure of xml.apache.org to have an "administrative" PMC
> that takes care of legal type
> stuff, and a "technical" PMC that focuses more on techical issues and
> oversight.

I don't see how much that would change.

Cheers,

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Ted Leung wrote:
> Jeff's question below about the legal relevance of PMC's is a good one.
> Does someone from the board have a definitive answer for this?

IANAL.

The simplest and most direct answer is that if the PMCs which were set
up for this expressed purpose can not demonstrate that they have
provided oversight, then the ASF itself is exposed.

With that out of the way, two examples, assuming PMCs exercising proper
oversight:

1) A person who is a committer explicitly and intentionally sets out to
sabotage the ASF by introducing code which is owned by a third party
without the permission of that third party.  That code is quickly
detected; the code and the committer are ejected.  There never is a
release with that code.

The third party could decide to pursue legal action against the
sabotager, but the ASF did its job.

2) Somebody attempts asserts ownership of a concept (say, hyperlinks),
for which there is ample prior art, and an ASF codebase that provides an
implementation of that concept.  The ASF asserts ownership over that
codebase and explicitly indemnifies its "shareholders", namely its
membership.

For these examples to work there needs to not be any nooks and crannies
where unmonitored code may reside.

I hope I got this right, but I am sure that Roy will correct me if I'm
wrong.  ;-)

- Sam Ruby

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> They are. Things done by entities entiteled by the Apache board are
> doing it in the name of Apache. PMCs are. Simple committers aren't.
> Thus Apache will protect entities that it has officially and legally
> appointed.
>
> But the existence of PMCs is not in this debate, nor if the current
> legal structure of Apache. If you have questions or suggestions please
> post them on community@apache.org and/or general@incubator.apache.org

Ted started a discussion which I now colloquially summarize into 'has
the XML PMC been doing a good job lately?'. Jeff seeks clarification as
to what PMCs are _required_ to do, tangentially stating the thought
whether they are ultimately needed, in order to be able to comment on
the original question.

I don't see the point in trying to police this thread's content, as long
as we discuss as civil beings.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 11:53:08AM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> [snip 1-vs-many PMCs]

>>>Hmm.. anyone care to guess how many patents Cocoon infringes?
>>
>>Ok, then let's not even try then, who cares, oh and while we're at it
>>let's remove the PMCs, why are they needed, oh and the board too, oh and
>>why Apache at all... get real, try to be constructive. If nobody cares,
>>tell me what we should do to solve the problem instead of
>>institutionalizing it.
>
> I'm suggesting that while the PMCs are worrying about the possibility of
> a LGPL jar in CVS, Microsoft might be poised to wipe Apache off the map
> with 0.00001% of its legal budget because Cocoon infringes some obscure
> patent of theirs.

Anything can happen. We are here to take all *reasonable* measures to
not make it happen. Checking jars and doing our best in making
contributors sign the contributor's agreement before becoming committers
all give a certain degree of protection, and not doing them just because
the protection is not theoretically total (ever if this concept exists
in this world) is not correct.

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.

Thinking about roles...

Posted by Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>.
It's much better to treat the various roles that individuals may adopt
as distinct attributions, or booleans, rather than try to sort them
into some hierarchy.  That helps to keep the discussion focused on how
the role managed: how people enter the role, what rights and
responsibilities come with it, and how they exit the role.  For example
pmc-member and apache-foundation-member are overlapping sets, but they
are different roles.  I
believe there are some examples of pmc-member that aren't committers to
anything, or even never have been.

Yeah, we have lots of roles.  Manager of release R, mailing list
moderator of mailing list Z, members of wheel on machine M, treasurer
of foundation A, participant in design debate D.  Many of these roles
are much more critical to the vibrant operation of the thang than the
ones with legal entanglements.  For example: performance-geek, or
documentation-writer in language L, operator of mirror,  Capturing
short descriptions of as many of these roles as possible is healthy.
Particularly because it avoids people getting all fixated about one or
two of these roles.

Roles are are also associated with entities ( R, Z, M, A, P, D).
Capturing short descriptions of those is healthy too.  I like the
glossary as about the right weight for getting started on those tasks.

I enjoy use the software OOP design paradigm, among others,  to think
about this tedium.  There is also the legal paradigms that overlay some
of it.

There are lots of other paradigms.  For example economists have
something they call a 'public-good' for example the levees along a
river are a public-good, as is a cure for cancer or RFC 2616.  Many
public goods are managed by people who adopt or are assigned the
responsible role over that good.  A levee for example fails if only one
of these people screws up anyplace along it's length.  A cure for
cancer on the other hand succeeds if any one of the people working on
it succeed.   We keep our source open to capture cool new (cures) to
our problems, we limit commit rights to help guard the quality
(security) of the code (and the project).

There is also a large literature on the theory of organizations.  Max
Weber, for example, wrote volumes on this as a consequence of picking
apart the Prussian government bureaucracy.  In fact he teased out
what's practically a moral framework: that people are impersonally
separate from their offices, that written down procedures guide
operations, that objective attention to  details and orders is "de
rigour", that people are treated fairly and impartially under the law,
etc.

We could us a modicum - not to hot, not too cold -  of that mixed  into
the foundation's operations.  I'm glad I trust the folks in incubator
that have taken on that task, since it's really easy to kill the
butterfly as you attempt to dissect it.

  - ben

ps. The analogies to how my teenage sons play Magic also amuse me.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 11:21:19PM -0800, Ted Leung wrote:
>
>>Probably my largest concern has to do with ensuring that ASF style
>>processes are being followed on all projects.  This includes subjective
>>measures such as "the health of the community" for a project, and
>>proposal of project committers for membership in the ASF.
>

> So.. how would making more projects top-level fix this?  As part of
> xml.apache.org, subprojects at least have PMC members with some local
> knowledge of the projects. Would the ASF board have known what to do with
> the SOAP/WASP Lite/Axis issue?  Would board members lurk on project
> lists, like XML PMC members do currently?

Again, the board will not become the over-PMC.
Each project will be responsible and accountable for what it does.

Before one PMC - many subprojects.
After many PMCs - mo subprojects.

This doesn't change how the board operates with PMCs.

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Ted Leung wrote:

> This includes subjective measures such as "the health of the
> community" for a project, and proposal of project committers for
> membership in the ASF.

<snip/>

> Then there's the issue of support from and participation in the
> general ASF infrastructure. That's "where do I go for this or that",
> or "You're really an awesome security hack, you know, they could use
> some help on security@".

Neat! Where do I sign up?

This is exactly what I would like it to be: facilitation rather than
regulation. Being there, actively helping out people. For cocoondev.org,
we had the idea to have one 'PMC-style' guy specifically appointed to
each project to explicitely shepherd a project at important moments.

While I understand this 'put the responsibility where it belongs' thing,
hence topleveling, I think we should help out projects who don't feel
quite ready to take up that responsibility. There is still a need for an
XML PMC IMO.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 07:52:42AM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >That still leaves the question: in what way is the current XML PMC
> >failing in its duties.
>
> What do you think its duties are?

>From observing Jakarta and XML, I'd say:

a) Voting on new projects
b) Keeping things vaguely legal. Checking that projects don't sneak
@year@ tokens into licenses, etc.

> >I can see that the Jakarta PMC might have missed stuff happening in the
> >depths of Commons and Avalon, but xml.apache.org is a much quieter place.
>
> The Xml PMC cannot review all code commits and placement of jars and
> licenses, and at the same time ensure that the Apache process for
> guidelines is followed, it's just too much work.

Review code commits for _what_?

Should the ASF be checking its code for patent infringements?  If so,
then to credibly do its job the PMC must be composed of patent lawyers,
and the ASF should start playing the patents game: don't sue us on patent
X or we'll countersue on patent Y.  Come to think of it, how come MS
hasn't sued Apache already, to get rid of this pesky IIS competitor?
Maybe because they're nice guys who prefer to compete than sue?  Haha.

> How much time has the xml site been in need of an overhaul and fixes?
> How come the Xang project was still listed in the same space as the
> other active projects?

Yes, it's the PMC's job to fix these things.  We are powerless ;)

> Where is the STATUS file detailed in the guidelines
> (http://xml.apache.org/source.html#N10028) in most projects?
> These points do not seem to be clearly part of the PMC mission ATM
> http://xml.apache.org/management.html , but in fact are.

Interestingly, that page seems to suggest that reviewing every patch is
not a PMC function.

  "The PMC may not necessarily participate in the day-to-day coding.."

> ATM it's humanly impossible for the Xml PMC to do all this with all the
> projects and communities it has.

+1 for making them work harder. Policing code must be deeply rewarding
anyway :o)

--Jeff

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.
> The Xml PMC cannot review all code commits and placement of jars and
> licenses, and at the same time ensure that the Apache process for
> guidelines is followed, it's just too much work.

Not can the board cope with properly providing oversight to 100+
individual PMC's without some in between delegation. And with 100+
individual PMC's the board can do little to help clusters of 20-40
projects (say all XML parsing/standards related projects, all content
generators, all site engines) to somehow create/maintain a sense of
coherency. I personally do like it that all the xml parsers and processors
are nicely grouped to gether.

Dw

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 02:59:52PM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Jeff Turner wrote:
>>[...]
>>
>>>Let's clarify exactly what is broken before fixing it.
>>
>>If you are not part of a PMC, you have no legal protection from the ASF.
>

> I understood that:
>
>  - the ASF legal entity is there to protect ASF _members_
>  - PMC member != ASF member.  Eg, we're both Avalon PMC members, but if
>    someone were to sue us, that would not benefit us.
>
> Thus, forming PMCs and flattening the structure in no way lessens the
> legal risk taken by non-member committers (the vast majority).  If I'm
> wrong on this important point, please correct me.

IANAL, but PMC members have some form of protection.
The PMC is formally appointed by Apache to look over a project, and thus
operates under its request (by the board) and oversight (chair and
board). The ASF will protect the people it appoints.

> That still leaves the question: in what way is the current XML PMC
> failing in its duties.

What do you think its duties are?

> I can see that the Jakarta PMC might have missed stuff happening in the
> depths of Commons and Avalon, but xml.apache.org is a much quieter place.

The Xml PMC cannot review all code commits and placement of jars and
licenses, and at the same time ensure that the Apache process for
guidelines is followed, it's just too much work.

How much time has the xml site been in need of an overhaul and fixes?
How come the Xang project was still listed in the same space as the
other active projects? Where is the STATUS file detailed in the
guidelines (http://xml.apache.org/source.html#N10028) in most projects?
These points do not seem to be clearly part of the PMC mission ATM
http://xml.apache.org/management.html , but in fact are.

ATM it's humanly impossible for the Xml PMC to do all this with all the
projects and communities it has.

> <snip good quotes>

</snip good quotes>

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.
On Thursday, Dec 5, 2002, at 06:28 Europe/London, Ted Leung wrote:

> Do you have a preference for how to solve this problem?

I think it makes sense for every significant (i.e. active, either in
terms of community or development) project to have a member in the PMC.
I don't see much point in top-levelling just for the sake of it - it
seems to me like the only reason aside from legal protection to do it
is for the sake of ego. So change the legal protection.

Matt.

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.
> If you are not part of a PMC, you have no legal protection from the ASF.
> Thus we are advocating that all projects be -projects- where possible
> (not sub-projects), with their own PMC with all dedicated committers in it.
> "The primary motivation is to create a more direct path from those
> accountable and responsible (the PMC) and the code. Without a direct,
> obvious, and demonstrable oversight, it will be impossible for the ASF
> to show that the code was developed and released according to *its* desires.
> IOW, it was done by individuals, so the liability falls to those

Obviously it would be possible to engineer something -other- than a PMC
which would give the same protection. All a PMC is in terms of its
relation of the board is a group of -named- people which are chartered
with a set of certain tasks. We could create something called a FooBar
with to a large extend those protective properties while having something
akin to a PMC with some slightly different tasks.

Dw

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Jeff Turner wrote:
[...]
> Let's clarify exactly what is broken before fixing it.

If you are not part of a PMC, you have no legal protection from the ASF.
Thus we are advocating that all projects be -projects- where possible
(not sub-projects), with their own PMC with all dedicated committers in it.

Here is part of an explanation on avalon-dev from Greg Stein:

"The primary motivation is to create a more direct path from those
accountable and responsible (the PMC) and the code. Without a direct,
obvious, and demonstrable oversight, it will be impossible for the ASF
to show that the code was developed and released according to *its* desires.
IOW, it was done by individuals, so the liability falls to those
individuals.

Yes, the risk associated with that liability is awfully low, but the ASF
exists to make it zero. (the ASF exists for other reasons, of course,
but I'm trying to stay focused here :-)
"

and

"
The role of a PMC member does not incur any overhead relative to what
you are already doing. In fact, Roy Fielding has stated that the
division between a voting committer(*) and a PMC member is not supposed
to exist.
IOW, if you have voting rights, then you should be on the PMC.

The Chair has a duty to provide the Board with a quarterly report, but
has no other additional time overhead. The Chair *is* an officer of the
corporation, which incurs certain responsibilities and accountability,
but an officer also happens to receive more legal protection than the
PMC members :-)
"

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.
On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Jeff Turner wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 01:12:25PM -0800, Ted Leung wrote:
> > I feel that the level of oversight that is being provided for the
> > xml.apache.org projects is insufficient.
>
> In what way?
>
> Beyond ensuring nobody checks in (L)GPL'ed jars, or code without copyrights,
>
> > and the projects are not getting the help/guidance/whatever that they
> > need from the ASF.
>
> Well it would be nice to have someone to ask if, say, activation.jar is
> allowed in CVS, but does it take more than 7 people on pmc@ to answer
> this?

> > Please express your opinions!
>
> Let's clarify exactly what is broken before fixing it.

That is a fair question ! And certainly not one I've got a good answer
for. Part of it ties into our being of a US incorperated; part of it is
defined in our bylaws. But we are at this point most certainly devoid of
an itemized list.

Dw

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.
Please note that axkit's core dev list is axkit-dev@xml.apache.org or
axkit-devel@axkit.org (note the extra "el" :-). I've had to forward all
mails so far, so if you could all change follow ups that would be great.

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.

Posted by Steven Punte <st...@yahoo.com>.
Now that's VERY INTERESTING.   There could easily be hundreds of such voilations already existing, and it wouldn't be obvious or easily observable.  I guess the process is we just wait until a patent holder has an objection.
    Steve
    steve@candlelightsoftware.com

 Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> wrote:[let's keep this on general@xml.a.o please]

Steven Punte wrote:

> To date, my understanding of open source software is that it expresses
> no warranty at all. I'm unclear on what basis someone would be held
> libel in a legal action.

Patent infringements?

--
Steven Noels http://outerthought.org/
Read my weblog at http://radio.weblogs.com/0103539/
stevenn at outerthought.org stevenn at apache.org

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

Steven Punte wrote:

>   To date, my understanding of open source software is that it expresses
> no warranty at all.  I'm unclear on what basis someone would be held
> libel in a legal action.

Patent infringements?

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

Steven Punte wrote:

>   To date, my understanding of open source software is that it expresses
> no warranty at all.  I'm unclear on what basis someone would be held
> libel in a legal action.

Patent infringements?

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

Posted by Steven Punte <st...@yahoo.com>.
Ted:
  Can you give us a couple examples, without exposing anything sensitive, of previous litigation and or attempted litigation against Apache open source members?
  It would be very helpful to have some understanding of how and why this can come about so that we can adopt a preventive posture.
  To date, my understanding of open source software is that it expresses no warranty at all.  I'm unclear on what basis someone would be held libel in a legal action.
  Inquiring Minds Want To Know
  Steve Punte
  Candlelight Software

Re: The organization of xml.apache.org