Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by gr...@apache.org on 2004/02/17 20:43:59 UTC

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server protocol.c

Jeff Trawick wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
>> At 10:22 AM 11/1/2003, trawick@apache.org wrote:
>>
>>> trawick     2003/11/01 08:22:16
>>>
>>> backport this from Apache 2.1-dev:
>>>
>>>     Set the scoreboard state to indicate logging prior to running
>>>     logging hooks so that server-status will show 'L' for hung loggers
>>>     instead of 'W'.
>>

>> Ya know - this is such a cool idea I'm thinking we aught to do the
>> same for
>> local CGI and backend proxy transmissions.  Something like 'G' while we
>> are processing cgi (stdin/out piping) and 'P' while connecting,
>> reading and writing with the backend proxy box.  Comments?

something like 'G', fine.  But not actually 'G' which stands for Gracefully
restarting (still serving a request using older generation config).

> There is a great value in allowing arbitrary modules to be able to
> specify a more granular representation of the processing phase.  'G' and
> 'P' sound great when we're talking about a chummy set of Apache modules,
> but it will get confusing if all sorts of modules get into the act.
>
> Maybe arbitrary modules could be allowed to update another piece of
> scoreboard memory for formatting in the extendedstatus table?  Storing
> the module index (to display module name) and a two-char code specified
> by the module would be nice.

I like the idea of being able to identify which arbitrary module is the handler
and what it thinks the current state of the request is.

Greg

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server protocol.c

Posted by Brian Akins <ba...@web.turner.com>.
gregames@apache.org wrote:

> I like the idea of being able to identify which arbitrary module is the
> handler and what it thinks the current state of the request is.

Yes it would be great to be able to find out things like:
request 1023 is in fixups mod_dir
request 657 is in output filter mod_includes

etc.

--
Brian Akins
Senior Systems Engineer