Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Harlan Messinger <hm...@gmri.com> on 2002/06/07 14:18:53 UTC

Details on IIS/Tomcat Question

Hi, my colleague Chris got here before I had signed onto the group, but
let me fill in some details about our attempt to get IIS to work with
Tomcat. We want to do this because we have JSP files sharing directories
with static HTML files, *and* we also have Cold Fusion files.

This is Tomcat 4.0.3 on Windows 2000.

I created a web site in IIS, and configured it to intercept all requests
on port 8765. I set its root directory to the webapps directory in the
Tomcat installation. I added a virtual directory called jakarta, with
root directory in the Tomcat bin directory.

The DLL that was present in the FTP area was isapi_redirector.dll. I
registered it as an ISAPI filter, and got a green arrow when I restarted
the site.

In SERVER.XML, after the Server tag, I added the tag

	<Listener className="org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.config.IISConfig" />

After the Host tag with name "localhost", I added the tag

	<Listener className="org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.config.IISConfig"
		noRoot="false" forwardAll="false" append="true" />

I added the noRoot and forwardAll attributes late during my attempts to
get this to work. They had no effect on the results as far as the JSP
pages are concerned.

I uncommented the Context tag for the root path.

Here's my iis_redirect.reg, which I have loaded into the Registry:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apache Software Foundation\Jakarta Isapi
Redirector\1.0]
"extension_uri"="/jakarta/isapi_redirect.dll"
"log_file"="..\\logs\\iis_redirect.log"
"log_level"="emerg"
"worker_file"="..\\conf\\jk\\workers.properties"
"worker_mount_file"="..\\conf\\auto\\uriworkermap.properties"

The uniworkermap.properties file is exactly as Tomcat created it.

In the jk directory I added file worker.properties, including the
following entries that differ from the version in the ajp.html document:

	worker.tomcat_home=C:\tomcat\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3
	worker.java_home=C:\jdk1.3.0_02

I created a JAVA_HOME environment variable, pointing to C:\jdk1.3.0_02.

I couldn't help noticing that the "extension_uri" in the Registry entry
has isapi_redirect.dll instead of isapi_redirectOR.dll. I finally
noticed that the instructions say to download the Tomcat 3.3
isapi_redirect.dll! Then why is there a file with a different name in
the Tomcat 4.0.3 area, and what's THAT supposed to be for? Anyway, I
downloaded isapi_redirect.dll, and substituted it for the other file in
the ISAPI Filters config. I get a RED arrow. Why should that be?

Anyway, even before switching the ISAPI filter, a request for

	http://myserver:8765/examples/jsp/colors/colors.html

works, but a request for

http://localhost:8765/examples/jsp/colors/colrs.jsp?color1=red&color2=bl
ue&action=Submit

gives me "The specified module could not be found." Using Tomcat's
built-in HTTP service,

http://localhost:8080/examples/jsp/colors/colrs.jsp?color1=red&color2=bl
ue&action=Submit

does work, so Tomcat itself isn't the problem, it's the redirection. In
fact, the log file, iis_redirect.txt, that's supposed to appear in the
logs directory, never does.

Any thoughts?

Harlan Messinger