Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tim Liu <ti...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/08 08:16:14 UTC

rpm version mismatchs "svn --version"

Folks,

I install 1.4 rpm but after installation, it shows 1.3.2 via svn --version
and browser shows svn 1.1.4.  I am lost:) Hope you can give some hints.

Firefox browser msg
=================
Apache/2.0.59 (Unix) DAV/2 SVN/1.1.4 Server at ... Port 80

svn --version
==========
[] svn --version
svn, version 1.3.2 (r19776)
   compiled Aug 21 2006, 07:26:13

RPM installed (listed in installation order)
================================
1.
http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/pub/subversion/latest/rhel-4/i386/apr-util-0.9.12-1.i386.rpm
2.
http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/pub/subversion/latest/rhel-4/i386/apr-0.9.12-1.i386.rpm
3.
http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/pub/subversion/latest/rhel-4/i386/subversion-1.4.0-1.i386.rpm
4.
http://mirrors.isc.org/pub/apache/httpd/binaries/rpm/i386/httpd-2.0.59-1.i386.rpm
5.
http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/pub/subversion/latest/rhel-4/i386/mod_dav_svn-1.4.0-1.i386.rpm

thx for your help

Tim

Re: rpm version mismatchs "svn --version"

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Nov 8, 2006, at 02:39, Tim Liu wrote:

>> > I install 1.4 rpm but after installation, it shows 1.3.2 via svn --
>> > version and browser shows svn 1.1.4.  I am lost:) Hope you can give
>> > some hints.
>> >
>> > Firefox browser msg
>> > =================
>> > Apache/2.0.59 (Unix) DAV/2 SVN/1.1.4 Server at ... Port 80
>>
>> You apparently have an older mod_dav_svn installed in your Apache
>> modules folder.
>>

>> > svn --version
>> > ==========
>> > [] svn --version
>> > svn, version 1.3.2 (r19776)
>> >    compiled Aug 21 2006, 07:26:13
>>
>> You apparently have an older svn binary somewhere in your path.
>> "which svn" should show you where.
>
> you are right. Do you know the link for 1.4 binary rpm for Apache,
> Red Hat Ent Lx4.0, SVN?
>
> I dowload via http://the.earth.li/pub/subversion/
> summersoft.fay.ar.us/pub/subversion/latest/rhel-4/i386/

As far as I can tell, that is the correct place to download from.
That's the URL linked to from the Subversion download page.

> I assume it is 1.4 but 1.1.4
>
> [] rpm -qlp subversion-1.4.0-1.i386.rpm
> /usr/bin/svn
> sjc-csm-lx-2[/usr/bin] ./svn --version
> svn, version 1.1.4 (r13838)
>    compiled Apr 12 2005, 16:01:59

I don't know how to explain that, and would have to defer to David
Summers, who created those RPMs. His email address is listed on the
Subversion download page.

Branching strategy - Feature vs Release

Posted by Richard Gundersen <ri...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Duncan

Yep, that sounds like a mixture of the two. I think this supports my side of
the argument I'm having at work, where one camp is determined to go for a
pure 'release-branch' strategy, and the camp I'm in going for a pure
"feature-branch" strategy. This is the way I see it:

The feature-based approach is:
	1) 100% capable of managing the entire lifecycle WITHOUT help from other
strategies
	2) Very safe
	3) Very flexible

The downside is that you have to overcome your fear of merging branches.
But, I don't have that fear because I've done it so often. Yeah,
occasionally there's the odd tricky merge (especially if you forget to merge
trunk changes into your branch for a few weeks) but it's nothing to worry
about if you do it properly.

The release-based approach is:
	1) Easy, because there's not as much merging
	2) Especially suited to systems with a simple release schedule, where any
and all changes are lumped together in one big release (note that: it's NO
BETTER than the feature-based approach in this regard)

There comes a point though, when the release-based approach isn't powerful
enough, and it has to start using feature branches - a kind of hybrid
strategy. When this time comes, you have the additional branches that you
set out to try and avoid in the first place, you have the complication of
merging that you originally wanted to avoid, and you have an unstable trunk.

Ultimately, I would be asking myself 'why not use feature branching in the
first place?'.

NB I'm not trying to be provocative in case that's how I come accross. I
genuinely find this an interesting debate and I'm grateful for the replies
I've had already (for and against)

Richard

Re: rpm version mismatchs "svn --version"

Posted by Tim Liu <ti...@gmail.com>.
I have removed those packages and reinstall 1.4.2 from another link. It is
working fine.

http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/pub/subversion/1.4.2/rhel-4/i386/

thx

Tim

Posted by Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca>.

Posted by Tim Liu <ti...@gmail.com>.
It is 1.1.4

[] rpm -q subversion
subversion-1.1.4-2.ent

Posted by Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca>.

Posted by Tim Liu <ti...@gmail.com>.
Ryan

you are right. Do you know the link for 1.4 binary rpm for Apache, Red Hat
Ent Lx4.0, SVN?

I dowload via
http://the.earth.li/pub/subversion/summersoft.fay.ar.us/pub/subversion/latest/rhel-4/i386/

I assume it is 1.4 but 1.1.4