Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Mag Gam <ma...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/23 04:24:42 UTC

Tomcat Simple Example

Hi All,

Does anyone have a simple Tomcat search/result example? I have 4 text files,
i would like to index.

Thanks

Re: Tomcat Simple Example

Posted by Hasan Diwan <ha...@gmail.com>.
On 22/08/06, Mag Gam <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have a simple Tomcat search/result example? I have 4 text files,
> i would like to index.

There's a demonstration war file included with lucene.

--
Cheers,
Hasan Diwan <ha...@gmail.com>

Re: Tomcat Simple Example

Posted by Robert Koberg <ro...@koberg.com>.
Erik Hatcher wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2006, at 3:29 AM, Michael Wechner wrote:
>> As an alternative I would rather suggest that one generates a
>> well-defined XML with JSP or a servlet and then applies
>> an XSLT. If somebody is afraid of performance issues then one might
>> want to consider generating the servlet or jsp code
>> dynamically out of the XSLT ...
>
> You must be one of those Cocoon (*wink*) folks that use the XSLT hammer
> for every problem ;)

Awww... come on now... everybody who prescribes XSL for (almost) every
problem is not a cocooner! :)

-Rob

Re: Tomcat Simple Example

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Erik Hatcher wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2006, at 3:29 AM, Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> As an alternative I would rather suggest that one generates a well-
>> defined XML with JSP or a servlet and then applies
>> an XSLT. If somebody is afraid of performance issues then one might
>> want to consider generating the servlet or jsp code
>> dynamically out of the XSLT ...
>

> You must be one of those Cocoon (*wink*) folks that use the XSLT
> hammer for every problem ;)

I wouldn't say every problem, but I would consider this appropriate ;-)

Michi

>     Erik

Michael Wechner
+41 44 272 91 61

Re: Tomcat Simple Example

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Re: Tomcat Simple Example

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Mag Gam wrote:

> Thanks!
>
> So, when working with Tomcat, for a simple Index + Search, it is
> recommend
> to use JSP over servlets?
>
> any advice?

well, the issue seems to me rather that the (X)HTML is hardcoded into
the JSP resp. Servlet which creates
a maintenance nightmare when one wants to customize the layout and at
the same time upgrade from time to time.

As an alternative I would rather suggest that one generates a
well-defined XML with JSP or a servlet and then applies
an XSLT. If somebody is afraid of performance issues then one might want
to consider generating the servlet or jsp code
dynamically out of the XSLT ...

cheers

Michi

> On 8/23/06, Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> wrote:
>

>> : > Does anyone have a simple Tomcat search/result example?
>>
>> : > I have 4 text files,
>> : > i would like to index.
>>
>> take a look at the geting started guide, and the demo WAR that comes
>> with
>> the Lucene distribution...
>>
>> http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/gettingstarted.html
>>

>> -Hoss

Michael Wechner
+41 44 272 91 61

Re: Tomcat Simple Example

Posted by Mag Gam <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the response Erik! You make a good point. I have the 'Lucene in
Action' book, and it has some good ways of doing things...its at work now (I
am away for 3 weeks), thats the only bad thing :-(

Re: Tomcat Simple Example

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Re: Tomcat Simple Example

Posted by Mag Gam <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks!

Re: Tomcat Simple Example

Re: Tomcat Simple Example

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Mag Gam wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Does anyone have a simple Tomcat search/result example?

you mean like the war file of Nutch?

Michi

--
Michael Wechner