Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jg...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/02 11:46:49 UTC

Best practices for release and version management?

Hi there,

How do you use to manage your project version among releases? I
mean... what do you exactly put in currentVersion in your pom and how
do you change it among releases?

I'm currently using the following approach:

1. Developing version 0.1 - currentVersion = 0.1-SNAPSHOT
2. V0.1 release: commit all pending changes, change currentVersion to
0.1, commit pom, tag/branch repository, make release.
3. Developing version 0.2 - change currentVersion to 0.2-SNAPSHOT,
commit pom, update and continue developing

What do you think about this? This approach has one annoying thing:
maven tries to download SNAPSHOT versions from remote repositories,
although they're only locally installed in the developer repository.
After some timeout maven uses the local version, but in case of large
projects the sum of the timeouts may be big. Do you use any other
approach?

Thanks in advance, best regards
Jose

Re: Best practices for release and version management?

Posted by Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jg...@gmail.com>.
2005/9/2, Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jg...@gmail.com>:
> Hi there,
>
> How do you use to manage your project version among releases? I
> mean... what do you exactly put in currentVersion in your pom and how
> do you change it among releases?
>
> I'm currently using the following approach:
>
> 1. Developing version 0.1 - currentVersion = 0.1-SNAPSHOT
> 2. V0.1 release: commit all pending changes, change currentVersion to
> 0.1, commit pom, tag/branch repository, make release.
> 3. Developing version 0.2 - change currentVersion to 0.2-SNAPSHOT,
> commit pom, update and continue developing
>
> What do you think about this? This approach has one annoying thing:
> maven tries to download SNAPSHOT versions from remote repositories,
> although they're only locally installed in the developer repository.
> After some timeout maven uses the local version, but in case of large
> projects the sum of the timeouts may be big. Do you use any other
> approach?
>
> Thanks in advance, best regards
> Jose

After re-reading some of the maven documentation it seems I'm
following the suggested approach (although manually, instead of using
the scm plugin)... anyway, is there any way to force maven to use the
local repository version of my own SNAPSHOT artifacts while still
downloading external dependencies?

Posted by Trygve Laugstøl <tr...@codehaus.org>.
On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 11:46:49AM +0200, Jose Gonzalez Gomez wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> How do you use to manage your project version among releases? I
> mean... what do you exactly put in currentVersion in your pom and how
> do you change it among releases?
>
> I'm currently using the following approach:
>
> 1. Developing version 0.1 - currentVersion = 0.1-SNAPSHOT
> 2. V0.1 release: commit all pending changes, change currentVersion to
> 0.1, commit pom, tag/branch repository, make release.
> 3. Developing version 0.2 - change currentVersion to 0.2-SNAPSHOT,
> commit pom, update and continue developing

This is the way that we're recomending and using ourselfs.

> What do you think about this? This approach has one annoying thing:
> maven tries to download SNAPSHOT versions from remote repositories,
> although they're only locally installed in the developer repository.
> After some timeout maven uses the local version, but in case of large
> projects the sum of the timeouts may be big. Do you use any other
> approach?

The easiest solution to this problem is to either configure a proxy so it
doesn't time out (but rather get a 404 response from the HTTP server) or
just run Maven in off-line mode (by using the -o switch)

--
Trygve