Posted to dev@aries.apache.org by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net> on 2016/03/24 14:42:12 UTC

[Discuss] Chronicle Queue transport for Aries rsa (licensing)

I just did a POC Aries rsa transport using Chronicle Queue. It is indeed
very fast. I get about 500 000 msg/s for one way calls.
So from a performance perspective I think it would be very interesting
to have this as a transport.

I am not sure if their licensing works for us though. They have switched
to lgpl mid last year.

The good news is that I was able to get Peter Lawrey to add a special
licensing for open source projects like Aries.
See: https://github.com/OpenHFT/Chronicle-Queue/issues/250
and:
https://github.com/OpenHFT/Chronicle-Queue/blob/master/LICENSE%20for%20Open%20Source%20product%20usage.txt

So we are allowed to use the software under the apache license. Is that
good enough for us to include Chronicle queues into Aries rsa?

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: [Discuss] Chronicle Queue transport for Aries rsa (licensing)

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi David,

I wasn't clear: I don't mind about the dual license, I mind about the
current Apache license terms ;)

I would prefer a complete Apache license switch without any condition.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [Discuss] Chronicle Queue transport for Aries rsa (licensing)

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Christian,

it's what I said in my other e-mail: we should wait that Chronicle fully
switches to Apache (and not dual license).

If they already plan to go to Apache license, IMHO, it doesn't make
sense to use another cat B license: they just have to go to Apache
license if they agree with.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [Discuss] Chronicle Queue transport for Aries rsa (licensing)

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Christian,

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
I just got feedback that a new release is planned for this week. I will add
the prototype then.
There is one caveat with the transport though. The open source chronicle
queue only supports local queues. Only the enterprise version has
distribution of the data over nodes.

Christian

> Sounds great!
>
> David
>
> On 30 March 2016 at 14:30, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Looks like on master they have completely switched to the Apache License.
> >  Once they get a release with that, it would be usable.  :)
> >
> > Dan
> >

> > > On Mar 24, 2016, at 9:42 AM, Christian Schneider <
> > chris@die-schneider.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > I just did a POC Aries rsa transport using Chronicle Queue. It is
> indeed
> > very fast. I get about 500 000 msg/s for one way calls.
> > > So from a performance perspective I think it would be very interesting
> > to have this as a transport.
> > >
> > > I am not sure if their licensing works for us though. They have
> switched
> > to lgpl mid last year.
> > >
> > > The good news is that I was able to get Peter Lawrey to add a special
> > licensing for open source projects like Aries.
> > > See: https://github.com/OpenHFT/Chronicle-Queue/issues/250
> > > and:
> >
> https://github.com/OpenHFT/Chronicle-Queue/blob/master/LICENSE%20for%20Open%20Source%20product%20usage.txt
> > >
> > > So we are allowed to use the software under the apache license. Is that
> > good enough for us to include Chronicle queues into Aries rsa?
> > >
> > > Christian
> > >
> > > --
> > > Christian Schneider
> > > http://www.liquid-reality.de
> > >
> > > Open Source Architect
> > > http://www.talend.com
> > >

> > --
> > Daniel Kulp
> > dkulp@apache.org - http://dankulp.com/blog

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com
<https://owa.talend.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=3aa4083e0c744ae1ba52bd062c5a7e46&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.talend.com>

Re: [Discuss] Chronicle Queue transport for Aries rsa (licensing)

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
Sounds great!

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: [Discuss] Chronicle Queue transport for Aries rsa (licensing)

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Christian,

Chronicle is really interesting. Maybe I would put the RSA Chronicle
part on github (your repo) for now, waiting the "complete" Apache
license switch.

Else as they use dual license, it may not be obvious for "vendor" if
they can use Aries RSA + Chronicle, or not.

My $0.01

Regards
JB

--