Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Robert Sösemann <ro...@gmx.de> on 2002/11/16 17:01:13 UTC

correct use of umlauts

Hello, who can help,

I have the following code fragment in my xsp page, but I always get an error
because of the use of german umlaut entities like &Ouml;.

                          <xsp:logic>
                                String keyword = <esql:get-string
column="k.word"/>;
                                String firstletter = keyword.substring(0,6);
                                String sortable = keyword;

                                if(     firstletter == "&Ouml;" ||
firstletter == "&ouml;"
                                    ||  firstletter == "&Auml;" ||
firstletter == "&auml;"
                                    ||  firstletter == "&Uuml;" ||
firstletter == "&uuml;") {
                                    firstletter =
firstletter.substring(1,1).toUpperCase();
                                    sortable = firstletter + "e" +
keyword.substring(1);
                                }
                            </xsp:logic>

That's how I get it from my database. How can I escape this?
I also experience that cocoon has a problem to resolve &... entites in
general. I allways get the error "The entity * was referenced, but not
declared.

What is wrong?

Robert

Re: correct use of umlauts

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
Last question should mean: *How* do they get in it?

Joerg

Re: correct use of umlauts

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.

Re: correct use of umlauts

> you are coding XML and not HTML. The German umlauts are only declared in
> HTML as entities. In XML only &lt;, &gt;, &apos;, &quot; and &..; (which
> one was the 5th) are known?
>
> Why do you have &Ouml; in your database? This would be really bad: a
> database should store a character in it, not an "entity, which will be
> later interpreted as a character".
>
> Joerg
>
> Robert Sösemann wrote:
> > Hello, who can help,
> >

> > I have the following code fragment in my xsp page, but I always get an
error
> > because of the use of german umlaut entities like &Ouml;.
> >
> >                           <xsp:logic>
> >                                 String keyword = <esql:get-string
> > column="k.word"/>;
> >                                 String firstletter =
keyword.substring(0,6);

Re: correct use of umlauts

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hello Robert,

RE: correct use of umlauts

Posted by William Brogden <wb...@bga.com>.

Probably you want  firstletter.equals( "&Ouml;" ) NOT ==

wbrogden@bga.com
Author of Soap Programming with Java - Sybex; ISBN: 0782129285
Coauthor of Cocoon 2 Programming - Sybex; ISBN: 0782141315