Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by James Mansion <ja...@mansionfamily.plus.com> on 2009/04/13 22:11:29 UTC

New ctypes Python API?

I had in mind I'd seen news of new Python bindings based on ctypes.

Shouldn't such bindings be somewhat independant of the version of Python?

To me:
 > Pure python and cross-platform
suggested a normal Python package, but the downloads have system
specific ones still.

Is svn-win32-1.6.0_py.zip actually the new bindings?

James

RE: Re: New ctypes Python API?

Posted by Scythal <sc...@gmail.com>.
Since they are bindings to dynamic libraries, they are not really "pure" Python unfortunately, and will have a strong dependency on the OS (and possibly SVN version).

By using some workarounds I could build them on Linux but on Windows it seems to be quite difficult, thanks to the Apache libraries mostly (apr and apr-util are in pretty bad shape).

I'd be glad to hear from anyone who succeeded!

Re: New ctypes Python API?

Posted by "D.J. Heap" <dj...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 2:28 PM, James Mansion <james@mansionfamily.plus.com
> wrote:

> D.J. Heap wrote:
>

>>    Is svn-win32-1.6.0_py.zip actually the new bindings?
>>

>> No, those are the swig based bindings.   I'm not familiar with the ctypes
>> bindings, but I was under the impression that since they are pure python
>> there was no need to compile anything special per platform...as I said,
>> though, I'm not familiar with them and that is just an assumption from the
>> little reading on them I've done.
>>
> Any idea where the new bindings are though?

No, sorry.

DJ

Re: New ctypes Python API?

Posted by James Mansion <ja...@mansionfamily.plus.com>.