Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com> on 2003/06/17 17:37:00 UTC

Removing ${pom.X} usage in properties files.

Hi,

I wanted to check with users about the frequency of using ${pom.X}
notation in properties files. I would like to remove this feature as it
is causing some grief internally and the only place I see it being used
internally is driver.properties which isn't visible to most users.

I don't believe this 'feature' is being used but I wanted to check
because I believe I made an error in judgement letting this usage into
existence.

So for example in driver.properties we have:

maven.final.name = ${pom.artifactId}-${pom.currentVersion}

This is the type of usage I want to remove.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: Removing ${pom.X} usage in properties files.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 11:53, Colin Sampaleanu wrote:
> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 11:37, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> >

> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I wanted to check with users about the frequency of using ${pom.X}
> >>notation in properties files. I would like to remove this feature as it
> >>is causing some grief internally and the only place I see it being used
> >>internally is driver.properties which isn't visible to most users.
> >>
> >>I don't believe this 'feature' is being used but I wanted to check
> >>because I believe I made an error in judgement letting this usage into
> >>existence.
> >>
> >>So for example in driver.properties we have:
> >>
> >>maven.final.name = ${pom.artifactId}-${pom.currentVersion}
> >>
> >>This is the type of usage I want to remove.
> >>

> >Just a clarification: there seem to be a few places in plugins where the
> >${pom.X) interpolation is used and I can catch those to make sure things
> >work. I really just wanted to know if this feature is in widespread use.
> >
> >I would really like to move to properties files that strictly contain
> >user defined values and not pom defined values.
> >
> I've used it once in a while, to do stuff like
> maven.ejb.final.name=${pom.artifactId}-beans-${pom.currentVersion}
>
> Now this was to get around a limitation of the ejb plugin, which can't
> (or couldn't) let you override the final name. It would not necessarilly
> be that big a deal if this went away, I suppose, as long as I could
> still acess the value in maven.xml///

Thanks, this one I can work around as well because the driver.properties
uses ${pom.artifactId} and ${pom.currentVersion}.

Posted by Colin Sampaleanu <co...@exis.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 11:50, Martin Skopp wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 17:37, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> > I wanted to check with users about the frequency of using ${pom.X}
> > notation in properties files. I would like to remove this feature as it
> > is causing some grief internally and the only place I see it being used
> > internally is driver.properties which isn't visible to most users.
>
> <cli>
> find . -name project.properties | xargs grep pom
> </cli>
>
> gives me frequent use of
>
> maven.xdoc.version=${pom.currentVersion}
>
> but can't remember why - must have copied it from somewhere in my early
> maven startup times...

Anywhere I have let these slip in I can catch. If it is only these one
that are in use then I can stop interpolating POM values into properties
file. If it's in widespread use then I will not remove it for the 1.0
release. This is what I'm trying to determine.

Posted by Martin Skopp <sk...@riege.de>.
On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 17:37, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> I wanted to check with users about the frequency of using ${pom.X}
> notation in properties files. I would like to remove this feature as it
> is causing some grief internally and the only place I see it being used
> internally is driver.properties which isn't visible to most users.

<cli>
find . -name project.properties | xargs grep pom
</cli>

gives me frequent use of

maven.xdoc.version=${pom.currentVersion}

but can't remember why - must have copied it from somewhere in my early
maven startup times...
--
Martin Skopp
Riege Software International GmbH
Support: mailto:maint@riege.com, Information: http://www.riege.com

This email is intended to be viewed with a nonproportional font.
Public Key on http://www.keyserver.net, Key-ID: 3D4027B5
Fingerprint: 1970 C78D 9A1D 99FA 5CE4  5C0D 29E6 6A95 3D40 27B5

RE: Removing ${pom.X} usage in properties files.

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

maven.ejb.install.dir=${maven.repo.local}/${pom.artifactDirectory}/jars
> > "
> >
> > The second is obviously due to a problem in a plugin. But that
should be
> > a typical use cases. There are lots of small problems in the
existing
> > plugins where this makes sense.
>
> Is there anyway around this? How about a property defined in the POM?
> I'm just trying to narrow the interpolation behavior a little to make
> things simpler (and easier internally).

Yeah, the way around is to fix the plugin. I'll do that hopefully today.

However, I liked the interpolation feature.

Thanks
-Vincent

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.