Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Don Lawton <dg...@verizon.net> on 2012/06/26 00:57:37 UTC

SEVERE: Servlet threw load() exception java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:

Greetings...

I’m developing a servlet to use as the controller in a MVC web app.  Each time I start/restart the server, I get a “SEVERE: Servlet  threw load() exception java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:” error with a stack dump.  The missing class that is identified is the controller servlet.  I put some console print statements in the constructor and they indicate no problem.  The jsp’s that post to the servlet and those that are dispatched from the servlet also work as expected.  The hits I get from a web search usually point to a specific framework jar that is missing (i.e. Struts, Spring, etc.)  that I can’t adapt to this issue.  Here’s the dump:

Jun 25, 2012 3:56:32 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext loadOnStartup
SEVERE: Servlet  threw load() exception
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.dgl.HomeFinances.Utilities.Controller.hfController
    at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1711)
    at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1556)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.DefaultInstanceManager.loadClass(DefaultInstanceManager.java:525)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.DefaultInstanceManager.loadClassMaybePrivileged(DefaultInstanceManager.java:507)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.DefaultInstanceManager.newInstance(DefaultInstanceManager.java:124)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1136)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:1080)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:5015)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5302)
    at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$StartChild.call(ContainerBase.java:1566)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$StartChild.call(ContainerBase.java:1556)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:334)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Eclipse Version: Indigo Service Release 2 Build id: 20120216-1857
jdk 1.7.0_01
Tomcat 7.0

Thanks!

Don Lawton

Re: SEVERE: Servlet threw load() exception java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:

Posted by Don Lawton <dg...@verizon.net>.
Hi Martin.  Yes indeed, 'public class hfController extends HttpServlet {'.
As I mentioned to Brooke, I'll go see if I can get an explanation from the
Eclipse folks about compiling servlets and placing them in the appropriate
server folders.  Thanks.

Don

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Brooke Hedrick <br...@gmail.com>.