Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Christopher Matta <cm...@mapr.com> on 2015/09/04 16:20:06 UTC

Support for Hive CHAR type

It doesn’t look like Drill 1.1.0 supports the Hive CHAR type?

In Hive:

create table development.foo
(
  bad CHAR(10)
);

And then in sqlline:

> use `hive.development`;
> select * from foo;
Error: PARSE ERROR: Unsupported Hive data type CHAR.

Following Hive data types are supported in Drill INFORMATION_SCHEMA:
BOOLEAN, BYTE, SHORT, INT, LONG, FLOAT, DOUBLE, DATE, TIMESTAMP,
BINARY, DECIMAL, STRING, VARCHAR, LIST, MAP, STRUCT and UNION
[Error Id: 58bf3940-3c09-4ad2-8f52-d052dffd4b17 on dtpg05:31010] (state=,code=0)

This Jira <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DRILL-1570> was closed
back in October, but it would seem that CHAR isn’t currently supported.
Will this be in 1.2.0?

Chris Mattacmatta@mapr.com
215-701-3146
​