Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Benjamin Young <by...@bigbluehat.com> on 2016/10/05 14:22:52 UTC

[Proposal] Move Wiki Access Requests somewhere

The incubator list is pretty popular. ;) Not less so these days with the NetBeans discussions, etc.

I’d like to propose (fwiw) that a mailing list be setup to ask for wiki access (perhaps wiki@incubator.a.o) and that it be used primarily for that purpose. If possible, the list could be setup to receive emails from anyone (without prior subscription) to avoid the need to “hang around” on that list if all you needed was to make an edit somewhere.

Alternatively, perhaps a web form could be setup to mail the IPMC directly.

Or, the much harder alternative, moving to Confluence, which I think avoids this request need / has it’s own more automated way of handling such things (maybe).

The hope is just to reduce the signal to noise ratio here—which is already quite high due to so many projects talking in one general space.

Thanks for considering this idea!
Benjamin

--
http://bigbluehat.com/
http://linkedin.com/in/benjaminyoung

Re: [Proposal] Move Wiki Access Requests somewhere

Posted by Myrle Krantz <mk...@mifos.org>.
My 2 cents:

There is no solution to the extra traffic on this list.  Access to
confluence or an extra list would still need to be granted to avoid spam,
and people who don't know where to ask are going to ask on the incubator
list no matter what you do.  Making the process more complex or less
intuitive will probably actually increase the traffic on this list.

Still, I'm for moving future incubator reports to confluence.  Editing in
confluence is easier and more appealing. I don't know what everyone else is
doing, but Fineract has generally prepared their report in confluence and
then copied it over.  Copying over is obnoxious, because you have to redo
the formatting.  If the target document were in confluence, the formatting
could be copied with the text.

The current situation is annoying but not the end of the world.

Greets from the Voreifel, Germany,
Myrle

*Myrle Krantz*
Solutions Architect
RɅĐɅЯ, The Mifos Initiative
mkrantz@mifos.org | Skype: mkrantz.mifos.org | http://mifos.org

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.
The requests to get edit access to the incubator's wiki is always higher
around the time of report submission.  Is the concern that its too much
email?

John

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
I think it's important that non-Apache folks have an easy way to edit
their proposal as there will typically be changes suggested after they
post it here; having the proposal editing "Apache only" would not be
too good for newcomers although the champion would always be able to
do it.

But +1 for a move to Confluence which has its own registration system.

(If we could have Confluence also for the podling reports.. that would
be awesome!)

On 5 October 2016 at 16:35, Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> Are most requesters already committers, or no?
>
> If so, then *cough* whimsy tool *cough*.  That's a place we can create
> simple AUTH'd request tools that channelize things; even as a front end,
> it would ensure the requests have a specific which-wiki, who is the
> username, etc. that you don't always get from emails.
>
> Just a crazy idea I can't help with yet.  But agree: finding ways to
> reduce non-interesting threads here would help people follow the
> interesting discussions or votes.
>
> - Shane
>
> Benjamin Young wrote on 10/5/16 10:22 AM:
>> The incubator list is pretty popular. ;) Not less so these days with
>> the NetBeans discussions, etc.
>>
>> I’d like to propose (fwiw) that a mailing list be setup to ask for
>> wiki access (perhaps wiki@incubator.a.o) and that it be used
>> primarily for that purpose. If possible, the list could be setup to
>> receive emails from anyone (without prior subscription) to avoid the
>> need to “hang around” on that list if all you needed was to make an
>> edit somewhere.
>>
>> Alternatively, perhaps a web form could be setup to mail the IPMC
>> directly.
>>
>> Or, the much harder alternative, moving to Confluence, which I think
>> avoids this request need / has it’s own more automated way of
>> handling such things (maybe).
>>
>> The hope is just to reduce the signal to noise ratio here—which is
>> already quite high due to so many projects talking in one general
>> space.
>>
>> Thanks for considering this idea! Benjamin
>>
>> -- http://bigbluehat.com/ http://linkedin.com/in/benjaminyoung

Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: [Proposal] Move Wiki Access Requests somewhere

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.