Posted to bridges-user@portals.apache.org by Cocula Remi <rc...@sopragroup.com> on 2007/03/08 14:20:55 UTC

[StrutsBridge] discution about the StrutsPortletRenderContext

As writen in the StrutsBridge documentation :

"The StrutsRenderContext is restored only once".

Actually, the  StrutsPortletRenderContext is removed from the session
just after it's first retoration in
the PortletServlet.performActionRenderRequest.

I don't understand why.

The renderContext is restored during the RenderRequest that immediately
follows an ActionRequest so the
Struts processor cas get the path of the jsp it must forward to (see
PortletServlet.performActionRenderRequest).

But after that another renderRequest (without any ActionRequest) can be
sent by the portal, for exemple if another portlet is activated.
In this case, the RenderRequest can not be processed because the
renderContext is no more present in session.

That only works if the portal uses cache to render the portlet again but
it's not always the case (as I can notice on Liferay).

So why is the renderContext restored only once ? is it because we must
consider that the portal uses cache ?
And what would be the disadvantage of keeping the render context until a
new ActionRequest is processed ?