Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org> on 2013/01/22 08:33:57 UTC

RAT scans: Re: What rights are given in an SGA

Somewhat off-topic, ma non troppo ...

It would be good to tun a RAT scan over the website. We have not done anything to clean the content licensewise and we probably carry copyleft content, including code, there!

Pedro.

Re: RAT scans: Re: What rights are given in an SGA

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jan 22, 2013, at 10:13 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> Pedro Giffuni wrote:
>> It would be good to tun a RAT scan over the website. We have not done
>> anything to clean the content licensewise and we probably carry
>> copyleft content, including code, there!
>
> The website contains gigabytes of materials for which we are probably unable to trace detailed history and licensing, since they come from multiple CVS repositories, then lost and migrated to multiple SVN repositories, then lost and migrated to the current tree.
>
> So a RAT scan wouldn't probably yield anything actionable.
>
> The only thing we know for sure is that all those materials were contributed to be put on the openoffice.org website and that we are continuing to keep them online. Even if there is copyleft content or code I believe it will be fine so long as we don't put it in a release (and it won't happen that some site contents go into a release without a thorough check).

Very well written. This is my understanding as well.

It is an opposite problem from the IBM Symphony SGA where we know these will be fine but we just haven't done the relicensing and copyright adjustment to the files as of yet.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Hello;

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 1/22/13 11:58 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> [...]

Juergen

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 5:58 PM, Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org> wrote:
> [...]

If you have specific examples, that would be great.  I thin a RAT scan
on the website would be too noisy, and it only gets the static pages,
not the content on the wiki.

> The fact that information was transfered through CVS and SVN or whatever
> is irrelevant we should know what we have and ultimately after any cleanup
> SVN will remember what we had in there.
>
> I understand we are underpowered to fix all that but the biggest problem is
> that we don't have any accounting over the content there, so it's a can of
> worms waiting to be opened.

There are a range of potential issues, of varying severity:

1) Something hosted where we have no legal permission to host it.
That would be bad.

2) Something hosted where there is suggestion that it is an
Apache-approved release but it isn't.  That is a policy issue, not a
legal one.  We could decide to add a disclaimer, or remove the
content.  I'd take this on a case-by-case basis.  There are parts of
the website, such as the forums and the wiki, where user content has
traditionally been hosted, under a variety of licences.

3) Distribution of significant files directly from the website, with
resulting bandwidth impact.  This is an Infrastructure policy
violation, and the content would need to be moved.

Perhaps other potential issues, but we'd really need to talk
specifics,  In any case, I'd hope that all committers feel empowered
to fix such issues when they arise.

-Rob

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.