Posted to dev@ambari.apache.org by Raveesh Shantharaju <Ra...@sas.com> on 2014/11/06 17:27:42 UTC

How To pass parameter to ambari stack

Hello Everybody.

We are using Ambari stacks to deploy our content onto Hadoop cluster.

How can we pass parameters to the install action or any other custom method of stack? . We need to pass parameters to this custom stack script to get our content deployed.
Do the REST calls allow for parameter passing? .

Thanks
Raveesh S

Re: How To pass parameter to ambari stack

Posted by Nate Cole <nc...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Raveesh,

You can pass data directly to the agent by specifying part of the request info using the _name of the component itself_.  For example, Flume agents are a many-per-host, and they are individually controlled with this mechanism.  Consider the following command to stop Flume:

PUT /api/v1/clusters/c1/hosts/h1/host_components/FLUME_HANDLER
{
  "RequestInfo": {
    "context":"Stop Flume a1",
    "flume_handler":"a1",
    "operation_level":  {
      "level":"HOST_COMPONENT",
      "cluster_name":"c1",
      "service_name":"FLUME",
      "host_name":"h1"
    }
  },
  "Body": {
    "HostRoles": {
      "state":"INSTALLED"
    }
  }
}

In Flume's case, the value in "flume_handler" is the agent process to target for stopping and is picked up by the agent script.  In the absence of that value, all agents are stopped (similar to how a "regular" stop operation works).

Thanks,
Nate

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE