Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Ran User <ra...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/30 00:32:52 UTC

idea drive layout - 4 drives + RAID question

For a server with 4 drive slots only, I'm thinking:

either:

- OS (1 drive)
- Commit Log (1 drive)
- Data (2 drives, software raid 0)

vs

- OS  + Data (3 drives, software raid 0)
- Commit Log (1 drive)

or something else?

also, if I can spare the wasted storage, would RAID 10 for cassandra data
improve read performance and have no effect on write performance?

Thank you!

Re: idea drive layout - 4 drives + RAID question

Posted by Ran User <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thanks.  Yep, I think OS + CL (2 drive RAID1) will provide the best balance
of reduced headaches / performance.  I'll also be pondering 1 drive OS, 1
drive CL as well.

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
Good question.

Posted by Ran User <ra...@gmail.com>.