Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by "Rüdiger Schulz (SkyGate)" <sc...@skygate.de> on 2007/06/21 19:00:07 UTC

Index gets no results

Hello everybody,

in a small Nutch 0.8.1 project with some plugins for writing custom fields,
I suddenly encountered the problem that everything gets indexed, but no
results are ever found.

I can open the index in Luke, and see all my documents. I see lots of common
terms in anchor, title, my custom fields etc. But no search ever finds any
results (not in Luke, not in my search.jsp).

Probably there slipped a bug, as I have an old index from two weeks ago
which is working fine. How can I find out what is wrong with my crawl? There
are no errors, neither during crawl, nor during the search.

Any hints in what direction I should look?

Thanks a lot,

Rüdiger

Re: Index gets no results

Posted by "Rüdiger Schulz (SkyGate)" <sc...@skygate.de>.
Just in case anybody has a similar problem, I'll post my solution. I had
activated a custom scoringfilter implementation. The error was that some
auto-generated method stubs where left untouched:

public float generatorSortValue(UTF8 url, CrawlDatum datum, float initSort)
throws ScoringFilterException {
    // TODO Auto-generated method stub
    return 0;
}

public float indexerScore(UTF8 url, Document doc, CrawlDatum dbDatum,
CrawlDatum fetchDatum, Parse parse, Inlinks inlinks, float initScore) throws
ScoringFilterException {
    // TODO Auto-generated method stub
    return 0;
}

This resulted in documents having a boost of 0.0. This renders them
irrelevant to Nutch, of course.

Instead of 0, we now return datum.getScore().
I'm still wondering if it wouldn't be better to return the float given as a
parameter (initSort or initScore), or if that would make more problems
again.