Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by George Sanderson <ge...@xorgate.com> on 2001/01/07 18:45:07 UTC

OT: HTML/XHTML syntax checking tools?

What HTML/XHTML syntax tools are recommended?  I was hoping that the tool
would run on the browser (client) side.  I prefer a PC version, but hey, a
good ap is best.-)

For example, I am working on a mod_perl module, and I made a HTML typo
(TEST instead or TEXT), (belzlare slip).  Perhaps I or someone else has
made other mistakes.  Since the browser ignored the TEST tag, and the
default was reasonable, it looked OK.  Now I think I should be checking
with something other than my eye.

Re: [OT] HTML/XHTML syntax checking tools?

Posted by "G.W. Haywood" <ge...@www.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi again George,

On Sun, 7 Jan 2001, George Sanderson wrote:

> What HTML/XHTML syntax tools are recommended?

I typed the three words html syntax checker in the Google search box
and it came back in 0.17 seconds with about 52,000 references.

No experience so I can't recommend any of them.

73,
Ged.

Re: OT: HTML/XHTML syntax checking tools?

Posted by Benoit Caron <be...@netgraphe.com>.
At 11:45 1/7/2001 -0600, George Sanderson wrote:
>What HTML/XHTML syntax tools are recommended?  I was hoping that the tool
>would run on the browser (client) side.  I prefer a PC version, but hey, a
>good ap is best.-)

There is a good on-line one at
http://validator.w3.org/

Check also for HTML Tidy in the link of that page : It's available for a
great bunch of OS/Platform and it did a good job for me. Just be careful
as, if I remember, the default option is to overwrite your original file
and there is some things that are a bit surprising when you don't know,
like the fact that you can't do :
<select name="x">
         <option value="3">3
         <option value="2">
</select>

You do have to close your "<option>" with </option>... which is the way it
should be...

Benoit Caron
Analyste-Programmeur
Netgraphe - Webfin.com - Le Web Financier
benoit.caron@netgraphe.com
"The number of Unix installations has grown to 10,
  with more expected."
-- The Unix Programmer's Manual, 2nd edition, June '72