Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Atul Kulkarni <at...@persistent.com> on 2015/06/21 09:23:13 UTC

issue- visibility of form field values for a merged pdf

Hi,

We are using Apache PDFBox (Version 1.8.9) for merging pdf documents and other pdf manipulations. We are facing issue while merging pdfs. Simplistically put the issue is as below-

1.       Input: PDF1, PDF2. PDF2 is a PDF form with information filled information.

2.       Expected Output- A single merged PDF file with PDF2 pages appended to PDF1.

3.       The issue: PDFs are merged/appended but form information is not visible.

The visibility of fields is random. I'm using Acrobat Reader XI to see the merged pdf document. If I open same (merged) document over and again the number of populated fields I see change. This issue is reproducible with version 1.8.7 and 1.8.8 as well. If form field values are read again programmatically, all values are there intact and have correct value.

We are using org.apache.pdfbox.util.PDFMergerUtility to merge the pdfs. To no surprise, the issue is also reproducible with org.apache.pdfbox.PDFMerger  as well (because, PDFMerger internally uses PDFMergerUtility).

Let us know how to fix this issue or anyone has any suggestions to get around the issue.

Thanks,
Atul

DISCLAIMER
==========

RE: issue- visibility of form field values for a merged pdf

Posted by Atul Kulkarni <at...@persistent.com>.
Thanks Maruan!

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
Hi Atul,

Posted by Atul Kulkarni <at...@persistent.com>.

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
Hi Atul,

Posted by Gilad Denneboom <gi...@gmail.com>.
The "Preview in Firefox" option uses FF's internal PDF viewer plugin which
is notoriously bad when it comes to PDF forms.
I would suggest avoiding using it, if at all possible. Stick with Adobe
Reader...

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
Hi Atul,

how was the form filled out? Reason I'm asking is that the original file is also not s´displayed with an visible field values when opened 'Preview in Firefox'. After opening and regenerating the PDF in Acrobat the display is fine. So there is something wrong/missing in the original PDF which makes the difference.

So the best option would be to have the PDF generated in a way that it's displayed correctly in 'Preview in Firefox' as well as other readers.

Maybe opening an issue with the PDF.js (which is used by Firefox) project could be an option [https://mozilla.github.io/pdf.js/].

BR
Maruan

> Am 06.07.2015 um 08:03 schrieb Atul Kulkarni <at...@persistent.com>:
>
> Hi Maruan,
>
> Thanks for your support and sorry for late reply.
>
> By default it is displaying "Preview in Firefox".
>
> I just tried other available options and found that  if we  either use "Use Adobe Reader (default) " or "Use Adobe Acrobat (in Firefox)"  option,  pdf is displayed correctly without any data loss.
>
> As by default "Preview in Firefox" option is selected,  I feel we still have issue in the sense that customers have to be explicitly told about this configuration. Let us know if there is a better way to fix it.
>
> Thanks,
> Atul

>>> 2. Open and check

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
Hi,

> Am 26.06.2015 um 09:55 schrieb Atul Kulkarni <at...@persistent.com>:
>

> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure how to identify which one is used. Can you help?
> The file is opened inside the browser

in Firefox you can enter about:preferences#applications <about:preferences%23applications> in the address bar. Scroll down until you find the entry 'Portable Document Format' which will tell you the application being used to view the PDF - or in case it's handled by the builtin viewer will have the entry 'Preview in Firefox'.

BR
Maruan

> Thanks,
> Atul