Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Chris <Ch...@011005.com> on 2007/07/25 13:46:56 UTC

How do you stop others from sending emails from your email addresses ?

I constantly, (about 15-20 times a day), receive s**m
emails from other people, but addressed from my email
address.  Is there any way of using SA to help on this
in any way at all please ?

I want to stop myself from receiving them, but even
more importantly, how do I stop someone from sending
from my email address - can it be done please ?

Any help much appreciated.

Chris.

Re: How do you stop others from sending emails from your emailaddresses ?

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 25.07.07 07:25, McDonald, Dan wrote:
> I know I could write meta rules to do it, but is there a simple
> mechanism that could be set up for
> blacklist_from_unless_{rcvd,spf,dkim} ?

No, and I doubt there will be any. This is exactly what SPF is for, so you
only can be sure about this rule when SPF is set up.

The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.

Re: How do you stop others from sending emails from your emailaddresses ?

Posted by "McDonald, Dan" <Da...@austinenergy.com>.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281, CNX
Austin Energy

Re: How do you stop others from sending emails from your email addresses ?

Posted by Magnus Holmgren <ho...@lysator.liu.se>.
Please start a new thread instead of using the "Reply" function when you have
a new issue.

On Wednesday 25 July 2007 13:46, Chris wrote:
> I constantly, (about 15-20 times a day), receive s**m
> emails from other people, but addressed from my email
> address.  Is there any way of using SA to help on this
> in any way at all please ?

I'd say that it's easier/better to tell your MTA to reject mail from your
address that is not authenticated or coming from the machines you use.

Within SA, you can create a rule that matches if your mail address is found in
one of the sender headers, and use whitelist_from_rcvd, whitelist_from_spf
etc. to whitelist it.

But unless you have used whitelist_from to whitelist your address (never do
that!), spam using your address shouldn't slip through more often than other
spam.

> I want to stop myself from receiving them, but even
> more importantly, how do I stop someone from sending
> from my email address - can it be done please ?

You can publish SPF records saying that mail from your address always
originates from certain IP addresses. You can deploy DKIM and publish DKIM
records saying that mail from your address is always DKIM-signed. This won't
directly stop others from abusing your email address, but sites verifying SPF
or DKIM can tell when they get a forgery. You can also start PGP-signing your
mail and tell your friends and other folks you correspond with not to trust
unsigned or badly signed mail purporting to come from you.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@lysator.liu.se
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)

Re: How do you stop others from sending emails from your email addresses ?

Posted by François Rousseau <fr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

You can't stop other from using your email address.  You can help
reducing the usage of your email address by implementing SPF on your
domain.

I will let other specify more detail or I will let you search on SPF
because I don't have experience with SPF.

François Rousseau

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 26.07.07 15:21, Peter Mikeska (MiKi) wrote:
> Hi,you can solve it on MTA level or in SA level.
> you dont say what kind of MTA you are using, for example in qmail its
> simple, just use "badmailfrom" where you can put wildcard for whole
> domain eg: @mydomain.com - in case noone is sending mail outside your
> domain.

The badmailfrom will only affect his server. so if he put any domain into
badmailfrom, he won't be able to send/receive mail with that domain in mail
from: envelope, which would keep him off using his domain for mail.

That would not affect other servers, so any abuser could send any mail to
any server in the internet using this domain in mail from: and all the
e-mail would return back to him. So he would still get all those notices.

Posli tento mail 100 svojim znamim - nech vidia aky si idiot
Send this email to 100 your friends - let them see what an idiot you are

Re: How do you stop others from sending emails from your email addresses ?

Posted by "Peter Mikeska (MiKi)" <pe...@gmail.com>.
Hello Chris,

> I constantly, (about 15-20 times a day), receive s**m
> emails from other people, but addressed from my email
> address.  Is there any way of using SA to help on this
> in any way at all please ?

> I want to stop myself from receiving them, but even
> more importantly, how do I stop someone from sending
> from my email address - can it be done please ?

> Any help much appreciated.

> Chris.

Hi,you can solve it on MTA level or in SA level.
you dont say what kind of MTA you are using, for example in qmail its
simple, just use "badmailfrom" where you can put wildcard for whole
domain eg: @mydomain.com - in case noone is sending mail outside your
domain.

just my 2 cents ;)

--