Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ashok Anumandla <as...@vividacs.com> on 2005/04/26 05:02:15 UTC

how to host website on Tomcat 5.5.9

Hi All,

I am trying to host my son website on Tomcat 5.5.9 in my home machine, i
did following steps ..

- installed the JRE,JAVA, and Tomcat 5.5.9
- installed ant
- when i run ant, it created anishanumandla under tomcat webapps.
- configured following in server.xml
 <Host name="www.anishanumandla.com" appBase="/Program Files/Apache
Software Foundation/Tomcat 5.5/webapps/anishanumandla">
     <Context path="" docBase="/Program Files/Apache Software
Foundation/Tomcat 5.5/webapps/anishanumandla"  />
           </Host>
- Configured web.xml for welcome file.
- Configured my linksys to fwd the any request from
www.anishanumandla.com to port number and 8080 port.

- Restarted the tomcat,

But unfortunately i am not able to make it working , when i try
http://localhost:8080/anishanumandla, it is working fine, but when i try
accessing www.anishanumandla.com it is not working, i am getting page
not found error, can somebody please tell me what i am doing wrong
here?? or if there is step by step document, can u please send me the
url,,,

the environmentment is Windows 2000...

Thanks in advance

Regards
Ashok

Re: how to host website on Tomcat 5.5.9

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@webtuitive.com>.
Ashok Anumandla wrote:

> I am trying to host my son website on Tomcat 5.5.9 in my home machine, i
> did following steps ..

> But unfortunately i am not able to make it working , when i try
> http://localhost:8080/anishanumandla, it is working fine, but when i try
> accessing www.anishanumandla.com it is not working, i am getting page
> not found error,

1) Can you ping "www.anishanumandla.com"? I can't :-)  So you need
    to first make sure that name resolves correctly, and your system
    can be reached as that address.

2) You should also read the docs on the Host element -- you'll need
    an Alias element as well::

       prompt% host www.anishanumandla.com
       www.anishanumandla.com is an alias for anishanumandla.com.
       anishanumandla.com has address 24.6.220.179

3) You'll need to change your Connector port setting from 8080 to 80

That should get you started :-)

HTH!

                           dream.  code.

Re: how to host website on Tomcat 5.5.9

Posted by Ben Kim <bk...@coe.tamu.edu>.
>- Configured my linksys to fwd the any request from
>www.anishanumandla.com to port number and 8080 port.

>accessing www.anishanumandla.com it is not working, i am getting page

Should you possibly check www.anishanumandla.com:8080 working? If so, I
guess you could use jk connector rather than using linksys to serve it
from port 80.

Regards,

Ben Kim
Database Developer/Systems Administrator
434E Harrington Tower / College of Education
Texas A&M University

how to host website on Tomcat 5.5.9

Posted by Pedro Nevado <pn...@javato.com>.
Instead of defining your context in server.xml, try to define it in a
document titled ROOT.xml. This document must be located in
conf/Catalina/www.anishanumandla.com/.
Also, I would change the appBase of your host to "/Program Files/Apache
Software Foundation/Tomcat 5.5/webapps".
I hope this helps.

Pedro Nevado